The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is part of best buys circular...
26fc7cfe529d20c8e373764aa31b3192.jpg
6919ababaf68a717f3aa80e2f6cb71b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They had plenty of Disney blu ray's and 4K's for between $7.50 and $15 last Black Friday. Actually, every black Friday.

I stand corrected; however, I’ve never seen any of the SteelBooks really drop in price that much (the best example of this is The Force Awakens SteelBook which was over produced and seemingly hung around forever). I could be proven wrong, though.

I stand corrected; however, I’ve never seen any of the SteelBooks really drop in price that much (the best example of this is The Force Awakens SteelBook which was over produced and seemingly hung around forever). I could be proven wrong, though.
Don't worry, I'm not going to look that up.

As for steelbooks in general during black Friday, I've had employees (customer service) give me the steelbook version for the same price as the generic edition. Ive only tried it a couple of times, so I don't know if it's policy, or just those employees.

Must read before buying 4K Batman 89 very noticeable changes read it all:

The HDR grade is impressive too, but it may be a little polarizing for some fans. People tend to remember this film as being much darker than it actually is. It’s dark, certainly, but bright highlights abound. The HDR grade strongly enhances these contrasts. Its shadows are deep as hell, with inky blacks, but those highlights are much bolder too. The film has always had the look of being lit by moonlight or streetlight in its nighttime scenes and that has more natural intensity now in HDR—when a character’s face is bleached white and he’s standing in a spotlight, it’s going to be bright. The film’s color has also been re-graded. The exterior nighttime scenes (especially the ending) are a cooler blue and blue-gray now – almost icy – which is truer to Burton’s intended look for the film, but it’s different from the previous Blu-ray. So people used to watching it that way may be surprised by it. The good news is that they’ve fixed all of the contrast mismatches on the film’s various matte paintings, so they’re much more well blended. And the wider color gamut greatly enhances the film’s palette. The Joker’s suit is a deeper purple, with vibrant orange and green accents. The luxurious interiors of Wayne Manor and Grissom’s apartment have rich caramel, gold, and silver tones. The attention to detail in this remaster is such that it seems likely both Burton and the film’s cinematographer, Roger Pratt, were involved in the effort.

Audio on the 4K disc is included in a new English Dolby Atmos mix, along with a 5.1 Dolby Digital down-mix of the same. The Atmos is a huge improvement upon the old mix in the sense that it’s much fuller and more muscular sounding, throaty, with strong low end, and great clarity and dynamic range. The height channels are employed actively in set-pieces, but more importantly serve to extend and enclose the soundfield with a sense of environment and atmosphere. This is particularly notable in the large halls of Wayne Manor, the interior of Axis Chemicals, and especially the Flugelheim Museum. Right after Joker gasses the place, there’s a sound effect when the doors are thrown open that really lingers in the air. The spaciousness in the mix as Prince’s Party Man booms through the cavernous lobby is magnificent in Atmos. And Elfman’s score has never sounded better, which is good because the composer wasn’t pleased with the original music mix.

It’s important to note, however, that Burton has made a few changes to the new mix. Longtime fans of the film will know that its post-production was rushed to meet the theatrical release date. So some of its sound effects were borrowed from other films. Specifically, most of the gun shots were reused cues from the Dirty Harry films. And when the Batmobile raises and lowers its armored shields, mechanical noises from James Cameron’s Aliens were used. For this new mix, all of those have been replaced with unique sound effects. It’s tastefully done and works well in context, but there will almost certainly be fans who quibble over the changes. This would be less of an issue if Warner had included the previous Blu-ray’s 5.1 audio mix on the discs, but they didn’t. (Again, the English 5.1 Dolby Digital mix here is new, down-mixed from the Atmos.) So don’t get rid of your previous Blu-rays.

Additional audio options include 5.1 Dolby Digital in French, Italian, German, Castilian Spanish, Latin Spanish, Chinese, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Polish Voice-Over, and Thai. Optional subtitles include English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, French, German for the Hearing Impaired, Italian for the Deaf, Castilian Spanish, Dutch, Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, Latin Spanish, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Swedish, and Thai.

Also important to note: The Blu-ray included in this package is mastered from the new 4K scan. That means it has more detail than before, but also the new color grade (sans HDR). It also includes the new Atmos mix. And again, the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is NOT the previous Blu-ray audio but the Atmos down-mix, so it includes the sound effects changes. The original theatrical audio is not included here either. That’s a shame, and will cause some consternation from fans, but again the solution is to hang onto the previous Blu-ray for posterity’s sake.

Wow, why all the changes? No wonder its taken so long. I hope the ending isn't too blue now.

I'm going to assume its all better. But the sound changes will be weird, like having to get used to the new Fett voice in Empire.

Wow, why all the changes? No wonder its taken so long. I hope the ending isn't too blue now.

I'm going to assume its all better. But the sound changes will be weird, like having to get used to the new Fett voice in Empire.

There's no new Fett voice in my copy of Empire.

Thedigitalbits.com is reporting no audio changes for 4K Batman Returns and that the HDR looks even better than B89.

I'll hold out till September and pick up the 4K Steelbook set.

6346959_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Back