The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disney: 1

Cameron: 0

Disney: "Fine you can have Dolby Vision as long as we only have to apply it to 74% of the image."

:gah: :gah:

I think we have a pretty good idea of which aspect ratio EG will have now. :banghead

"And I....am Iron Man's torso."

avengers-endgame.jpg

Last edited:
What’s crazy is that even if Disney corrects all of these annoyances and gives us a full box set with proper IMAX ratios, 3D discs and maybe even an extended cut or two i’m still going to be really pissed off!

Broke and pissed off!

Funny enough the fake 4K is the one component that bothers me the least as I find HDR to be the more important component to get right.

Imax ratio is a very big problem they need to address.

Last edited:
Correct ratios would be nice, but I'm just too happy that I get Alita in 4K and 3D in one purchase!

I may be angry later, who knows

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Imax ratio is a very big problem.

It makes absolutely no damn sense considering all of our TV's have basically the same ratio. I hated VHS pan & scan but at least it made sense that they were trying to fill your screen. But now they're cropping the picture only to leave letterbox dead space above and below the image? They're screwing us on two fronts with that. Just no damn sense.

Grrrrrr. I can't believe that we've regressed back to not seeing the full theatrical image at home again. And for tentpole releases! Oh except Aquaman. THAT one got the IMAX ratio at home. Yay.

I swear if IW/EG and Alita have IMAX ratios on Disney+.... :mad:

I can totally see Disney being that much of scumbags lol

Correct ratios would be nice, but I'm just too happy that I get Alita in 4K and 3D in one purchase!

I may be angry later, who knows

Believe me dude I hear you it is nice to see 4K/3D-HD together in a case but make no mistake about it that Imax ratio bullcrap they’re pulling is extremely detrimental to the experience the directors intended it’s disgusting for a studio to keep that from their paying customers.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

I can totally see Disney being that much of scumbags lol

Believe me dude I hear you it is nice to see 4K/3D-HD together in a case but make no mistake about it that Imax ratio bullcrap they’re pulling is extremely detrimental to the experience the directors intended it’s disgusting for a studio to keep that from their paying customers.
Believe me, I know. I was one of the guys that jumped ship for laserdisc because of my hate of pan and scan.

I'm surprised more directors aren't up in arms over it.

Does IMAX even work on a 65'' TV? It's all about scale, isn't it?

Or do you like the old TV aspect ratio in Godzilla size?

I never quite understood the appeal of seeing a lot of extra headroom up top and more of the ground on the bottom. I love the letterbox shape.

What is it about the IMAX ratio?

And you guys who like it, did you ever have really huge movie screens when you were growing up? Like Chinese Theater size? Or did you come of age during the 'multiplex era' of 20+ screens, all of which were tiny.

Look at crappy TDKR you can see the individual pebbles and blades of grass Bane is walking on during those open 15/70 shots and that’s from shoulder height you can see that level of detail!

Take your TV out of vivid mode for once will ya lol

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer the cropped picture on the left but to each his own.

maxresdefault.jpg

What is Batman looking at? Nobody knows, lol.

batman-v-superman-imax-aspect-ratio-600x467-e1458685907784.jpg

I think they should at least give us the Liemax ratio at home (the smaller white rectangle in the right BvS image.) To give us the image on the left is just inexcusable.

I don't know, IMAX is TV ratio despite its size. I don't like that shape.

Fair enough. As far as shapes go I prefer widescreen as well, as long as it's what the director and cinematographer prefer. Case in point Blade Runner 2049. WB forced Villeneuve and Deakins to shoot with an expanded aspect ratio for IMAX screens even though they didn't like that aesthetic and wanted the composition to match the original film. Deakins outright said that he considers the 2.40:1 image to be the "proper" way to view BR 2049. So even though I enjoyed seeing much more of hologram Joi in the theater I'm totally fine with the widescreen at home.

Like you said when a director prefers widescreen then the top and bottom tend to just be relatively dead space anyway. But for the directors like the Russos, Nolan, and Rodriguez who stage the shots with the taller format in mind I think it's wrong to crop the image after the fact.

I know that BvS isn't a great film by any means but that Batman shot above was clearly intended to be viewed with the expanded picture in mind.

And lol jye.

Last edited:
But wait it’s not just about the shape of the screen the vastness and level of detail possible with 15/70 is literally 3D immersion in a 2D shell.

I might not like TDKR much but Nolan put me standing in that damn field next to the characters in those Imax shots!

But wait it’s not just about the shape of the screen the vastness and level of detail possible with 15/70 is literally 3D immersion in a 2D shell.

Yeah even on blu-ray I instantly notice the uptick in quality as soon as the TFA footage switches to IMAX when Rey and Finn are running from the TIE Fighters.

/\THIS/\

And not whatever Wor is trying to say lol

:lol :lol

I'm not advocating for more image at all costs, I just want what I experienced in the damn theater, lol.

Back in the 90's some directors sidestepped the P&S pitfalls somewhat by shooting on Super 35 like the original JP and The Matrix. So in the theater you got proper widescreen but then at home they'd do open matte to prevent cropping which would actually give you *more* image than what was in the theater. But in those cases I agree that it messed up the aesthetic and I know that for some films you'd even see stuff you weren't supposed to like boom mics and what have you.

Back