The best likeness ever in 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not what I'd traditionally think of for likeness, but Andy did do a great job on the Apes portraits.

I think the Ursus sculpt rivals any human sculpt thus far. And, although not based on a real person the HT Chris Redfield is an awesome sculpt as well!!

Yup, Ursus has a nice emotional quality in the sculpt and really captured him, it's such a shame they didn't at least do Cornelius, a figure of him in HT quality would have been amazing.

I had heard the HT POTA line wasn't dead, just on the back burner while they got the newer licenses going and produced.
Has this changed?

I don't know anything, I just assume they're done with it if they haven't rolled out anything new, they're doing T2 right now which is an older movie. Maybe they're developing something more. They come out of the blue sometimes with figures from the older properties, I had thrown in the towel on Rocky and then they made that Rocky 3 figure out of the blue. I suppose there's always a chance. If they do Cornelius I will definitely buy it, Roddy was great in those movies.

I had heard the HT POTA line wasn't dead, just on the back burner while they got the newer licenses going and produced.
Has this changed?

I would sincerely hope that it is on the back burner as I would like to see a Taylor and Nova rendition by Hot Toys since they have recently released the T-800 and Sarah Connor figures which were also released by SS. Further Ape figures would be nice but all Apes look alike (HA, HA).:lol

Not released yet but this one:

terminator-hottoys-02.jpg

Not released yet but this one:

terminator-hottoys-02.jpg

Its a quality figure to be sure ... but I'm not sure the likeness is dead-on. His brow and jawline seem a bit too cavemanish ... either that, or his mouth is too far forward (wolfman?). I'm having trouble describing the issue -- but the likeness, while solid, isn't perfect.

SnakeDoc

I love this thread.
I just got the Dutch a few days ago and that is amazing...

but I love this subway Jack Torrence( the likeness is amazing.

also I agree on the HT Godfather(one of the most talked about figures when people come over)...

and Something I wish I had is this "Snakeeater" Deckard from Blade Runner. that figure is the ____!!!

This thread proves beyond doubt that 1/6 is where its at!

PF'ers can suck it :moon

I'm not a huge 1/6th fan, but its kind of sad that a lot of 1/6th sculpts out due larger scale pieces as far as likeness.........but I guess if you want great large scale likeness, it usually costs an ass load. SS should really hire some of HT's sculptors though

Did anyone notice Andy's "Billy" sculpt? It's awesome. I hope he commissions it for release to us.

He can't, any of the sculptors that do work for a company cannot sell it even if the company doesn't use it, there have been inquiries in the past about buying sculpts that weren't used and that was the response. It's basically the company's property.

It is interesting that most of the sculpts that were voted as being the best were done in polymer clay or something similar, which is what most of the asian sculptors seem to use. Trevor Grove, who does some of the best scupts out there uses wax, and even though his sculpts are as good a likeness as the Hot Toys and Enterbay ones he is almost left off the list. Erick Sosa who also uses wax has created some great sculpts, as has Andy B. I wonder is Sideshow will ever let their talented artists use clay rather than wax or can the level of detail such as skin texture be achieved in wax?

I think the skin texturing is a matter of knowing the technique to do it. I know Andy's learned it and applied it to some of his most recent humans like the Locke sculpt he did.

The debate over best likeness can be broke down though, best likeness in sculpt, and best likeness in a finished, painted piece. Based just on sculpt, I think Trev's work would have a lot more nods in here, but a lot of his work gets paint jobs that lose the likeness he sculpted. The big vote getters in here have a combination of sculpt and paint selling the likenesses their supposed to represent. That's where HT and Enterbay standout, they have great sculptors and they've got very skilled factory painters that can turn out paint apps that enhance the sculpt likeness instead of losing it.

Back