The best 3rd film in a trilogy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revenge of the Sith, Last Crusade and Alien 3 (seriously!)

I support this list.
2wdwokg.jpg

I gotta go with Return of the King and Last Crusade.

I think Revenge of the Sith is up there, too. It may have its flaws, but my god, what a marked improvement from the first two.

I REALLY need to watch the Dollars trilogy, though. I have a feeling The Good, the Bad and the Ugly would be up there from what people are saying about it. I've been meaning to buy or at least watch these films for YEARS, but somehow never get around to doing so.

Bourne Ultimatum and Toy Story 3 are the only third parts I've seen that I'd ever consider to be the best of their respective series.

RotJ, RotK, TDKR, and Last Crusade are all third parts I enjoy despite them not being the best of their respective series. In fact, all four of these examples are probably my "least favorite" of those particular series. That's not to say I don't love them, I just enjoy the prior installments more.

I've rewatched ROTS so many times over the years - I'm now sick to the back teeth of it. :lol

Good in parts - **** in others.

Like about 25% of it is ****. :lol

I REALLY need to watch the Dollars trilogy, though. I have a feeling The Good, the Bad and the Ugly would be up there from what people are saying about it. I've been meaning to buy or at least watch these films for YEARS, but somehow never get around to doing so.
TGTBATU is significantly better than the other films in that trilogy. It's like all Leone's creative impulses finally found the right way of meshing together during that film, which carried over into his next film (his masterpiece) "Once Upon A Time in the West."

Love the $ trilogy. :)

Speaking of Clint.. there's a bunch of his other westerns I've still yet to watch.

I enjoyed 'Joe Kidd' recently - that was pretty good.

TGTBATU is significantly better than the other films in that trilogy. It's like all Leone's creative impulses finally found the right way of meshing together during that film, which carried over into his next film (his masterpiece) "Once Upon A Time in the West."

Yes and no. While I do feel the films technically get much better as the series progresses, I think the original FISTFUL is still my favorite. Short, sweet and the only film where Eastwood is the central protagonist (the other two are more like buddy-adventure movies.)

Yes and no. While I do feel the films technically get much better as the series progresses, I think the original FISTFUL is still my favorite. Short, sweet and the only film where Eastwood is the central protagonist (the other two are more like buddy-adventure movies.)

I love all three but like 'For A Few Dollars More' the most.

My wife and I watch Unforgiven about once a year. But last night AMC showed a montage of upcoming movies and they showed clips from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and other old Clint movies and she said, "WHO is that smoking hot rugged guy??? That's Clint Eastwood in his prime???" :lol

Last edited:
:lol yeah he is a bad ***. I bought the Good/Bad/Ugly on Blu Ray finally the other day and watched it. Ive seen it several times but first time on Blu Ray. Gorgeous movie and the soundtrack is just spectacular. Especially 'the Trio' track. Just...wow.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ( the best film in the series)
The Dark Knight Rises ( second best and I like it more and more with repeat viewings)
The Bourne Ultimatum ( best in the series)

Many have The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in here as the best part 3. Fact is none of the $ films are related character wise. Clints MWNN character actually has a name in the first two films and is called Blondie in the third. If you look up info on this you will find that Sergio never intended the films to be a part of a series. This info can be found around the net and on the documentaries on the Blu rays...

I am going to go with an unpopular pick and say Underworld 3. I liked that one more then the first 2 and don't understand the hate it gets.. At least the hate it gets from fans of the first 2. I also liked Saw 3 better then the first one.

Return of the King of course.

I enjoy TDKR but it's not as good as the first 2. Not even close.

Rocky III is great but not as good as part 1.

Would people still hate Godfather III if Sophia was not in it??

My favorites:

The Dark Knight Rises
Return of the Jedi
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
Return of the King
Dancer in the Dark (from Lars von Trier's The Golden Heart Trilogy)

--
Last Crusade should be here, but they messed that trilogy up:lol

Many have The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in here as the best part 3. Fact is none of the $ films are related character wise. Clints MWNN character actually has a name in the first two films and is called Blondie in the third. If you look up info on this you will find that Sergio never intended the films to be a part of a series. This info can be found around the net and on the documentaries on the Blu rays...

Clint's character doesn't have a name in any of the films, he has a different nickname in each film.
I know that Leone never meant for the 3 movies to be considered a trilogy, and each film is a stand alone storyline and not one ongoing narrative, but seeing as how Leone and Clint put effort into having the character dress the same way, act the same way, shoot the same way, and smoke the same way , to say he's not the same character is ridiculous.

Last edited:

I am going to go with an unpopular pick and say Underworld 3. I liked that one more then the first 2 and don't understand the hate it gets.. At least the hate it gets from fans of the first 2. I also liked Saw 3 better then the first one.

Return of the King of course.

I enjoy TDKR but it's not as good as the first 2. Not even close.

Rocky III is great but not as good as part 1.

Would people still hate Godfather III if Sophia was not in it??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly
" It is the third film in the Dollars Trilogy following A Fistful of Dollars (1964) and For a Few Dollars More (1965)."

"After the success of For a Few Dollars More, executives at United Artists approached the film’s screenwriter, Luciano Vincenzoni, to sign a contract for the rights to the film and for the next one. He, producer Alberto Grimaldi and Sergio Leone had no plans, but with their blessing, Vincenzoni pitched an idea about “a film about three rogues who are looking for some treasure at the time of the American Civil War."

"The film’s working title was I due magnifici straccioni (The Two Magnificent Tramps). It was changed just before shooting began when Vincenzoni thought up Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (The Good, the Ugly, the Bad), which Leone loved. In the United States, United Artists considered using the original Italian translation, River of Dollars, or The Man With No Name, but decided on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

"Eastwood was not initially pleased with the script and was concerned he might be upstaged by Wallach, and said to Leone, "In the first film I was alone. In the second, we were two. Here we are three. If it goes on this way, in the next one I will be starring with the American cavalry."

Back