The Art of John Howe - Enjoy!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how they could make this more dynamic while still basing it on the Howe painting. The wings I think add some interesting elements with their height and asymmetry. I am the proud owner of #1 of this piece (or will be in 6 months anyway).

WOW!

#1!?

I had always thought the real low numbers were given to "insiders".

Did you get a "Congratulations" or something??? Do tell....

Oh - and welcome!!!!

WOW!

#1!?

I had always thought the real low numbers were given to "insiders".

Did you get a "Congratulations" or something??? Do tell....

Oh - and welcome!!!!

I thought the same. Then I asked Richard Taylor at SDCC if the #1s were still available. I was surprised that they still were. I almost bought it then but came home and sat on it, pursued all sorts of angles with customer service including getting a pre-cast price, a discount for ordering the whole line of bronzes, etc. They didn't budge. Finally I decided to go for it and was pleased to see they still lowered the price and ES after the fact. Very pleased. I figure I should have this by my birthday, which I share with Tolkien incidentally.

I thought the same. Then I asked Richard Taylor at SDCC if the #1s were still available. I was surprised that they still were. I almost bought it then but came home and sat on it, pursued all sorts of angles with customer service including getting a pre-cast price, a discount for ordering the whole line of bronzes, etc. They didn't budge. Finally I decided to go for it and was pleased to see they still lowered the price and ES after the fact. Very pleased. I figure I should have this by my birthday, which I share with Tolkien incidentally.

Man, Congratulations!!!! You were smart to ask about numbers. How did they "confirm" you will get #1??

Yeah, I think this is a very low ES!! Especially since Smaug, IMO would be THE most sought after piece. (Aside perhaps from Bilbo.)
Unless, they plan on doing multiple Smaugs...........

Man, Congratulations!!!! You were smart to ask about numbers. How did they "confirm" you will get #1??

Yeah, I think this is a very low ES!! Especially since Smaug, IMO would be THE most sought after piece. (Aside perhaps from Bilbo.)

Not sure what you mean by "confirm." These will all be numbered x of 20 on the bottom of the base I assume. And as far as I know they have still not cast this in actual bronze. Now you would think they would have to make sure they can actually do the casting. Richard Taylor explained the pricing to me in part as a result of the unusual level of detail in these sculpts, a level of detail not usually done in bronze I think because of the casting difficulties. So I assume they have tested this out. But then why not use images of the real bronze on the website?? I really think they have yet to cast one in bronze so the #1 may literally be the #1 (no APs as far as I know). This was why I asked about the pre-cast pricing since CS Moore knocked 1000 off the Conquerer bronze before they had actually made a bronze casting of it. You are rewarded for taking a chance I guess and not knowing what the final product will look like. No one knows what this Smaug will look like in real bronze.

Edit: The other thing I didn't realize was that some companies will produce these numbers out of order. So you can order #15 of the Smaug if you want and don't have to wait for the first 14 to be bought. Apparently some collectors want all the same number, regardless of what it is?? This seems somewhat of an odd idea to me.

Especially since Smaug, IMO would be THE most sought after piece. (Aside perhaps from Bilbo.)

You do realise these are'nt statues from the movie Hobbit? They'll probably do a couple of Smaug statues for that. A nice large one in colour, and a smaller one, like they did with the SSW balrogs. Although, now we have this, maybe they won't want to do another Smaug laying on his treasure, and just do the one statue - maybe of him searching the mountainside for the dwarves, breathing fire? :drool

You do realise these are'nt statues from the movie Hobbit? They'll probably do a couple of Smaug statues for that. A nice large one in colour, and a smaller one, like they did with the SSW balrogs. Although, now we have this, maybe they won't want to do another Smaug laying on his treasure, and just do the one statue - maybe of him searching the mountainside for the dwarves, breathing fire? :drool

Hey FE,

Yeah, I just assumed that was the likeness/design they would use in the movie. It COULD be way different. I personally think the movie version will be very similar....

I've been bouncing from SSF, S&F, and Weta off and on all day!!!! Excited to get on this train early!!

I think they will come out with multiples. But I have been trying to imagine a painted version. To me it may look a little cartooney, somehow not as regal. IMO, for this Howe classic, I think the bronze is perfectly classy!
Its more "mature" and elegant. This will be my first ever bronze piece, and I agree, will not display its best crowded in with painted poly....As lotr1978 said, it will look good in its own "corner".

Hey FE,

Yeah, I just assumed that was the likeness/design they would use in the movie. It COULD be way different. I personally think the movie version will be very similar....

I've been bouncing from SSF, S&F, and Weta off and on all day!!!! Excited to get on this train early!!

I think they will come out with multiples. But I have been trying to imagine a painted version. To me it may look a little cartooney, somehow not as regal. IMO, for this Howe classic, I think the bronze is perfectly classy!
Its more "mature" and elegant. This will be my first ever bronze piece, and I agree, will not display its best crowded in with painted poly....As lotr1978 said, it will look good in its own "corner".

So you bought one as well. Awesome. For awhile I was afraid I was the only person who was going to buy one of these things. And this is my first bronze as well. Can't wait to see it.

I'm still very tempted by this piece and been in contact with Weta's Darren but I feel they should have differentiated it a little bit more from the Faux version, maybe by utilising a different type of wood for the base. Leaves me a little hesitant.

I'm still very tempted by this piece and been in contact with Weta's Darren but I feel they should have differentiated it a little bit more from the Faux version, maybe by utilising a different type of wood for the base. Leaves me a little hesitant.

I have the same reservations but still jumped in at the old 6k a pop price. For me I also thought the shot at #1 would be something instantly exemplary and figured I would buy the piece eventually. If the #1 had been sold I would have waited because to me 2-20 is no different (that's just to me though). I do wish they made the base different on the FB and not included the book (for what that is worth). I do think the bronze will be noticeably different from the FB when the two are side by side and as guru pointed out to me the bronze is basically indestructible.

Oddly enough it was a string of PMs with guru1 (Anthony) whom I had never met or spoken with before PLUS one email to Paul Moore (the brother of CS Moore) that put me into the buy column on this. Yes I was pretty much teetering on the edge anyway. Paul indicated the FB should not really harm the value of the B because the market is different and there are fewer cross-over folks to begin with (reaction was generally negative on the boards when Weta announced the bronze only - most would have just foregone the piece rather than save for the bronze and sacrifice other aspects of their collection).

With the lower price and ES I hope these sell out before the Hobbit onslaught of collectors even turn their computers back on.

And consider this. The SSW bronze Gandalf was made in 36 pieces and had an extremely odd tiered pricing schedule where you got punished for waiting (if anyone can explain this pricing strategy then please do because I am perplexed by it). That sold out, is impossible to find, and almost doubled in value if I recall the last sale price correctly. Bowen's Death Dealer has also doubled or tripled in value since its release (4000 dollars in 1994 I believe) and that was 1 of 50. We can argue merits of Gandalf vs Smaug I guess but the latter is iconic of The Hobbit, hence his appearance on so many covers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.
I agree about the merits of Bronze over other materials. Yet the reason for being reluctant about the base material is in fact more rooted in the conclusion that it seems very questionable if a wood type that fits into the calculation for a PF-priced statue could meet the quality expectations you'd have for the Bronze.
I don't need it to be hugely different for difference's sake, I just want it to fulfil my expectations all around.

As for the tier pricing, somebody tried to explain that due to the crafting technique, the production cost for each additional unit would increase exponentially. Unsure if that's correct or not.

No one knows what this Smaug will look like in real bronze.

This is me partly guessing, but one reason for not doing a pre-cast discount would be because your not taking a risk. I would be massively surprised if John and Richard, etc wouldn't be anything other then satisfied with a Smaug that didn't turn out great.

As such, there may well be some "AP's" if the first couple of goes don't produce a statue that they are happy with. After that, you will then get the #1 and the others will likely never see the light of day. Then again, I get a feeling that Weta do have some experience with real bronze work, so unless something really goes wrong, they fully expect to capture the detail of the original sculpt.

As for Howe Smaug vs soem future Hobbit Smaug, assuming that licensing, etc all work out, I do half expect the 'Daddy Rog' Hobbit Smaug. Having said that, I still doubt it would look all that much different, still going to be a dragon. Now you don't get much more iconic then Smaug on his gold, so if the Hobbit one is much the same, then just like the Baby Rog had no impact on Daddy Rog value, I doubt any future Smaug will impact the FB Smaug, just like the FB Smaug won't impact the real bronze one.

On the subject of using the same wood base and making book, I can understand any bronze owner liking those to be unique, but isn't the ral bronze enough :lol
Besides, its really nice for us FB owners and its because of us that the bronze ES is now 1/3rd smaller and costs $1.5K less, so gives us a break :D

So you bought one as well. Awesome. For awhile I was afraid I was the only person who was going to buy one of these things. And this is my first bronze as well. Can't wait to see it.

Whoa Nelly........I said - WHAO!! (remember Yosemite?)

Man - youre talkin REAL bronze!!

My good man, I have two young shirelings back at the hole, who take most of the extra schillings.......Until I come across a cache of coin, its strictly Faux for Took!!

Congrats to you though - an instant grail, and a timeless classic!!

On the subject of using the same wood base and making book, I can understand any bronze owner liking those to be unique, but isn't the ral bronze enough :lol
Besides, its really nice for us FB owners and its because of us that the bronze ES is now 1/3rd smaller and costs $1.5K less, so gives us a break :D

I agree that it is awesome for FB buyers, heck I have one on order as we speak.
It just raises the question if a base material that can apparently be realised for 450$ or something is still appropriate for a 4500$ piece.

It just raises the question if a base material that can apparently be realised for 450$ or something is still appropriate for a 4500$ piece.

Well, I guess the only other real option left, would be marble....
Man, imagine how heavy that would then all be.

I suppose its possible us FB'er get a cheaper wood that just looks much the same. Of course, it could also be some of the real bronze savings spread around more. Instead of just 20 round wooden base's, it's now an order for 320.
I would still expect the best ones to go to the bronze statues, with that many to choose from, even if it just a little imperfect, it gets added to the FB statue.

Ya never know, the Kong bases were Marble so they may do it again for these, or at least for the real Bronze :dunno
x :peace

Oh yes much much appreciated of course. About the base, I had said previously I wished they had swapped out the base on the FB but I honestly don't care that much. As for upping the ante on the bronze, I don't know what they could have done. I know that I don't care at all for the Gandalf bronze base, a rectangular chunky piece of marble I believe. In general I don't like the look of stone, although the Bowen death dealer does look nice. Regardless, I doubt Weta can change anything now without serious uproar.

On the subject of APs. I'm glad guru's definitions fits my own, something done to approve the product. It seems APs now are created as lines within a line, another way to garner exclusivity. I bought (and returned) an AP of a print that was clearly created AFTER the regular run had initiated, the artist simply decided to do 10 APs after the first 100 of the regular edition had sold. They even lifted the number off of the print and replaced it with an AP number. I was saddened and quite furious about this.

chris

I'm happy that they kept the wood base for the FB since it fits in nicely with the overall scheme of the piece, though I'd have welcomed the utilisation of say, quality nutwood, for the Bronze to push me off that fence.

In any case, when is yours due Chris? I was given an estimate of 6 months were I to order today.

Hey FE,

I expect the movie version to look quite different. I think if you look at most of Howe's LOTR creatures they are quite different from the final look that Weta decided to go with. Howe is an excellent artist, but I actually much prefer Weta's creature designs to his, and I suspect I will most likely prefer Weta's version of Smaug as well.

Ya never know, the Kong bases were Marble so they may do it again for these, or at least for the real Bronze :dunno
x :peace

The SS bronzes are marble as well; it probably would have made a bit more sense to distinguish the two.

As for Smaug, I think Weta is getting close on the design; it seemed so at the Hobbit panel at Con - it was suggested that GDT is very close to how he wants to portray him. I expect something fairly different from Howe's design as well, given that the dragon will need to talk; I anticipate at least a larger/wider head and perhaps even more human characteristics.

We'll see! :monkey4

I expect the movie version to look quite different. I think if you look at most of Howe's LOTR creatures they are quite different from the final look that Weta decided to go with. Howe is an excellent artist, but I actually much prefer Weta's creature designs to his, and I suspect I will most likely prefer Weta's version of Smaug as well.

Well, what does ol' Took know......:lol

Do you guys think pics of the Weta version will become available prior to release?? I am pretty sure I will only be getting one version, and I cant imagine a more classic, iconic version than Howe Smaug slumbering on dwarven gold.

Back