Smaug the Golden - Faux Bronze - NOW AVAILABLE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I destroyed mine over the weekend and boy was it tough to do. Because the thing is so heavy it is sort of dangerous. Pieces do fly so no kids around and goggles would help. I will try to post pictures. Essentially all I did was break off the wings which were very clean breaks. I then broke off the fins along the back (easy) and pulled on the flat pieces that touch the base. I then took a saw and scraped the surface of the dragon to mess it up. I don't see how you can break it more than this. The body is solid with no obvious lines of weakness. I suppose a chisel would work but may be unnecessary since Darren said my destruction was complete for the refund.

Any updates on this?

I had this on order but funds ran low so I had to cancel.

I don't even know why it was recalled?

My wife jokingly said I should buy this one because everything time she sees it, she thinks of me, perched on top of all my collectibles like Smaug over his treasure. lol :)

Dennis

Weta updated the product page with a photo of the new polystone faux marble base. They also posted at www.wetacollectors.com to get feedback on the amount of marbling. Most chose less marbling.

The real bronzes will come with a solid wood base.

I love this piece and am keeping original base...my base is flawless...why change it...am very happy here

I'm planning on getting the newer version but I will have someone make a copy of the old base. Since the new version is removable, I'll be able to place it on top of my custom base. I like the look of the older base much better that's why I will have someone redo that base with real wood again.

Just pre-ordered this today. Smaug really looks great, can't wait to get it. Does anyone know when they will be shipping? I've never purchased directly from weta before so I'm also excited about the weta dollars. It says you get 43 weta dollars for the smaug purchase so I may put that all towards getting the new weta gollum also. From what I understand I can use that as soon as weta charges my credit card for the smaug statue??

Yes, you get 10% of your purchase price (not counting shipping) in Weta Dollars, which will be credited as soon as the order is paid for and shipped.
Smaug is still likely a few months off, given the need to re-make them sue to the 'base issue'.
You'll also earn Weta Dollars on any remaining amount you spend (not counting shipping), even if you use your Weta Dollars to help purchase the item. Basically, Weta's reward program makes SS looks like rubbish.

Yes, you get 10% of your purchase price (not counting shipping) in Weta Dollars, which will be credited as soon as the order is paid for and shipped.
Smaug is still likely a few months off, given the need to re-make them sue to the 'base issue'.
You'll also earn Weta Dollars on any remaining amount you spend (not counting shipping), even if you use your Weta Dollars to help purchase the item. Basically, Weta's reward program makes SS looks like rubbish.

So does that mean I can use the entire 43 weta dollars towards the gollum statue and only have to pay the 20 or so remaining dollars?

And thanks for the info on the aprox shipping time...I figured it would be a bit after seeing they had issues with the wood base...

I wonder if these will sell out during this Trilogy...I'm betting yes

Last edited:
Says low stock on Weta site...I bet for sure now this will definitely sell out before the Hobbit trilogy is over

Just saw this dragon on ebay..signs of things to come plus I really wonder how PJ made Smaug look..I bet he has horns
as_dragon_4786_01.jpg

Last edited:
That Dragon looks great Adolfo :wave

I think the Smaug likeness was nailed down before Del Toro left.

Looking forward to seeing how he looks on the big screen :)...but that won't be for quite some time yet. :(

:duff
Bill

The Franklin Mint one, really? Looks like it comes with a free Ninja sword from the knife kiosk at the mall, wings ridiculously undersized.

lol dont be a hater, the statue is very highend. Absolute amazing detail, perfect paint, the gold is 18k coat, and good/accurate color mix especially the fade into the wing. It's also made from ceramic not polystone. There is no better smaug statue out there right now... i looked when trying to get a smaug.

not sure what you mean by small wings, that's how a dragon looks when the wings are not stretched. Below is probably the most famous photo of smaug, by your reasoning the wing is also too small? :cuckoo:

hildebrandtSmaug.jpg

some old photos i had:

smaug1.jpg

smaug2.jpg

smaug3.jpg

smaug4.jpg

Last edited:
If Smaug's underside is just plain old scales, then it's just a plain old 'worm. The bejewelled armour he create for himself makes him nigh invulnerable and is a key point of his character.
No jewels from his family jewels upward....no Smaug :lecture

the best smaug is stil the one from franklin mint....so far.

It's ok , I've seen it in person and is nice...I just do not like the long serpetine neck and Hope PJ doesnt make it look like that...Half the neck length maybe

Back