The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's puzzling why they didn't bother to do the director's cut in 3D, it would've made it that much better and might've surprised some who've only seen the theatrical version.

If they do get to make Aliens 3D, I really hope they do the director's cut of that film. It feels like a more complete story compared to the theatrical version imo. Also, how cool would it be seeing the Sentry guns mow through Xenos in that corridor scene in 3D! :rock

I thought the T2 Special Edition had pretty much become the default version of the film. I didn't think there'd be many who hadn't seen it at this point - which makes it surprising that they'd go with the theatrical cut for the 3D release.

He didn't, he said HT. Which is correct, since ALL their T800 got the hair wrong....even the 1984 version.

MMS136 and 117 are less offensively wrong. DX10 and DX13 both ****ed up the T2 look quite royally though. :gah:

Did Cameron ever say that he preferred the Special Edition of T2 though or was it something he just put together for the fans? I feel like I remember him giving reasons that he himself cut the extra scenes from the movie though it's been quite a long time since I watched any of his interviews regarding it.

I want to say that Cameron's stance on T2 and Aliens are the same which is that the director cut is what he intended but back then he couldn't get away with movies that long and DVD allowed him to finally show the movies he wanted them to be.

I want to say that Cameron's stance on T2 and Aliens are the same which is that the director cut is what he intended but back then he couldn't get away with movies that long and DVD allowed him to finally show the movies he wanted them to be.

That's what I think, especially with the Special Edition of Aliens, Where he said:
James Cameron on the Aliens Special Edition said:
I actually preferred this version to the theatrical version because I think, as it's been best described by one of my friends, 'it's 40 miles of bad road.' And, I think it's a longer, more intense, and more suspenseful version of the film. The conventional wisdom at the time was: don't make the film too long, but at 2 hours and 37 minutes, this is the ride that we intended you to take.

Last edited:
I was always pretty confident that I preferred the Special Edition of Aliens. That was available so early on in my life that the theatrical version didn't have much time to imprint on me and the SE easily became my default version to watch. In the last year or so I saw the theatrical cut for the first time in many years with a real orchestra - and damn it felt so rushed and relatively lacking in emotional gravitas.

And now again with T2 - in this case I was most familiar with the SE only because the Region 2 DVD didn't provide the theatrical cut - otherwise I might have found out way earlier that I do in fact prefer the SE. Again, a more satisfying journey that gives more weight to everything.

Last edited:
Yes Cameron was very vocal about preferring the ALIENS SE but that was only his second film and with someone else's IP so he didn't have nearly as much clout as he did with T2.

On a side note I see that T2-3D got it's ass handed to it by the Close Encounters re-release. It's first weekend earned triple what T2 made in *two* weeks.

Yes Cameron was very vocal about preferring the ALIENS SE but that was only his second film and with someone else's IP so he didn't have nearly as much clout as he did with T2.
Didn't Cameron direct another film (well part of a film) before Terminator ... one he might prefer was forgotten

On a side note I see that T2-3D got it's ass handed to it by the Close Encounters re-release. It's first weekend earned triple what T2 made in *two* weeks.
I loved seeing T2 in the cinema for the first time and the 3D was an added bonus rather than a hindrance so that was cool. I did think the release could have been handled a lot better in the UK though ... I don't know how it was re-released in the US but we were only offered one screening on a Tuesday night so not exactly a super popular time to go the movies. Also one screening doesn't really give it a chance to make that much money either ... even Dark Tower had more screenings than it in the same week (they were probably all empty though haha).

Didn't Cameron direct another film (well part of a film) before Terminator ... one he might prefer was forgotten

Cameron got screen credit for Piranha 2 yes but to hear him tell it he was fired on the first or second day but the studio kept his name because they thought it sounded better than the Japanese director who replaced him.

I loved seeing T2 in the cinema for the first time and the 3D was an added bonus rather than a hindrance so that was cool. I did think the release could have been handled a lot better in the UK though ... I don't know how it was re-released in the US but we were only offered one screening on a Tuesday night so not exactly a super popular time to go the movies. Also one screening doesn't really give it a chance to make that much money either ... even Dark Tower had more screenings than it in the same week (they were probably all empty though haha).

It's been playing at multiple AMC's in my area, twice a day for over a week now. I haven't checked it out. 7 times on the big screen in 1991 was enough. :)

Cameron got screen credit for Piranha 2 yes but to hear him tell it he was fired on the first or second day but the studio kept his name because they thought it sounded better than the Japanese director who replaced him.
Haha I did read something like that ... the Cameron 're-telling' I read suggested that he was credited on the VHS release due to his fame and success following Terminator.
It's been playing at multiple AMC's in my area, twice a day for over a week now. I haven't checked it out. 7 times on the big screen in 1991 was enough. :)
Oh wow you are lucky sir. I do urge you to go and see it again if you get a spare moment though, the 3D is awesome in the future wars scenes and during the helicopter chase sequence it really feels like you are in the middle of the action. It won't be a better experience than when you first saw it but it will be different one (in a good way).

Why was he fired?

Why was he fired?

he tried to have the Piranha's have a glowing city under water, wait...scratch that....He tried to have the Piranha's eat a hole in the hull of Titanic and sink it....wait...that's not it either...Cameron tried to have the Piranha's be part of a collective mystical race of creatures with emphatic powers stemming from a giant sea tree...then the studio told Cameron to sod off....

Battle Across time is officially closing in Orlando. Last day is October 8th.

Luckily I downloaded a copy of the non-3D video awhile ago to preserver it after the attraction is gone, glad I got to see it when I went down in 2005.

I've probably seen the show close to a 100 times, still sad to see it go.

What a coincidence, my friend took me to the park a week ago to do that ride. We did it twice and we sat in the very front row.

Kinda sad to see it go.

Twister's ride replacement is the WORST dog vomit, piece of garbage of all time. Based on jimmy fallon of all things.
Complete horse crap.... so terminators replace will be crap

I read on a parks forum that one of the ideas for a replacement is a Pitch Perfect ride/show

We may not like it but it's what the masses shelling out big money will pay for, sadly. The Twister attraction was really cool too.

We may not like it but it's what the masses shelling out big money will pay for, sadly. The Twister attraction was really cool too.

Actually most reviews for jimmy fallon ride have trashed it and the lines are never long.

The ride might not last 4 years

Back