The All Things Republic Commando Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATM, it's almost cheaper just to get those packs. I wish they'd release them with poseable knees and ankles.

yah, increased articulation would be awesome. i think i paid $12 for the evolutions pack at walmart yesterday. there was a delta squad boxed set on ebay and it ended up going for like $177. there was another up that went for around $120.

yah, increased articulation would be awesome. i think i paid $12 for the evolutions pack at walmart yesterday. there was a delta squad boxed set on ebay and it ended up going for like $177. there was another up that went for around $120.

Just look around. I found the Omega Squad one last month for $65 from a comic book e-commerce (don't remember which one though).

I went to the bookstore the other day and finally got around to picking up Hard Contact. I plan to begin enjoying it this evening... :D

I also noticed that KT writes about Gears of War.... coincidentally, both Gears of War and Republic Commando are video games developed using the Unreal Engine (SWRC using Unreal 2.5, Gears of War using Unreal 3)

oh and I'm kinda stuck on the details of Sev's level (or possibly levels) like, would he help wookies defend against stormtroopers or join them? and if stormie found Sev in the jungle, would they kill him or not? What would Sev do after he gets left behind by his squad?

I'm open to suggestions...

So why does a kid's show on cartoon network need ultra-realistic lighting and physics?

It doesn't. If it's a kid's show, no one would care if it was 2D... I don't think there's a child under 10 years old who watches cartoons and sees something with 2D animation and thinks "Oh, the physics, particles, and lighting were better in Clone Wars, this 2D stuff sucks!"

The lighting and and all that isnt that realistic or that spectacular and its not like its done in real time. And realistic physics really has no meaning in scripted animation sequences.

As for children not caring, do you have any kids? because kids do prefer the 3d crap more because they think its cooler, and the companies wanna push it more and more because its cheaper to make than standard animation.

You can see that's been happening for years, Disney hasn't made a standard animation cartoon in I don't know how long. Even with normal kids cartoons that use regular animation a lot of them use CGI that basically cell shaded to look like standard animation because its cheaper and/or everything but the characters are.

I personally would love to see an anime style Star Wars show based around Republic Commando's or some such. But I don't ever see that happening unfortunately.

The lighting and and all that isnt that realistic or that spectacular and its not like its done in real time. And realistic physics really has no meaning in scripted animation sequences.

As for children not caring, do you have any kids? because kids do prefer the 3d crap more because they think its cooler, and the companies wanna push it more and more because its cheaper to make than standard animation.

You can see that's been happening for years, Disney hasn't made a standard animation cartoon in I don't know how long. Even with normal kids cartoons that use regular animation a lot of them use CGI that basically cell shaded to look like standard animation because its cheaper and/or everything but the characters are.

I personally would love to see an anime style Star Wars show based around Republic Commando's or some such. But I don't ever see that happening unfortunately.

*cough ...Princess and the Frog... cough*

*cough ...Princess and the Frog... cough*

Oh Im sorry they do come out with some regular animated stuff once ever few years, and even then there's a lot of computer work, and the ones that are animated are their crappiest ones now, and for every animated they do 10 or more CGI.

Did you enjoy the Princess and the Frog.:lol

Oh Im sorry they do come out with some regular animated stuff once ever few years, and even then there's a lot of computer work, and the ones that are animated are their crappiest ones now, and for every animated they do 10 or more CGI.

Did you enjoy the Princess and the Frog.:lol

Actually, yes. We took my daughter to see it for her birthday. It was surprisingly entertaining. There's the kid's story and the underlying in-jokes for adults. It was also rather refreshing to sit through a 2D film for a change without all the "CG" of a Toy Story.

I also get tired of everything being CG, but unfortunately every year CGI gets cheaper to produce and it also gets better at mimicking real animation. I'm also happen to be tiring of CGI stuff being over used in regular movies nowadays, I liked it better when a car blew up, you knew they blew that car up, and when the guy trying to escape was running around on fire, they lit some poor stuntman on fire.:gun

BTW I'm glad you enjoyed the movie but if I tried to take my son to see that he probably wouldn't talk to me for a month.:lol

I also get tired of everything being CG, but unfortunately every year CGI gets cheaper to produce and it also gets better at mimicking real animation. I'm also happen to be tiring of CGI stuff being over used in regular movies nowadays, I liked it better when a car blew up, you knew they blew that car up, and when the guy trying to escape was running around on fire, they lit some poor stuntman on fire.:gun

Yep. Being a horror fanatic I always prefer practical effects to digital ones. The fact that CG movies are moving closer to real life really shows me a lack of imagination. It's more mimicry than creativity.

Yep. Being a horror fanatic I always prefer practical effects to digital ones. The fact that CG movies are moving closer to real life really shows me a lack of imagination. It's more mimicry than creativity.

If I ever had a trillion bucks, I'd go and have RC suits made, hire actors, and reproduce some of the sets from the RC game in real life and shoot the most awesomest movie ever with practical FX and everything.

The real problem is money; it's overwhelmingly cheaper (and safer) to blow up a car with CG than to actually blow a car up, and instead of having a million people standing around someplace they can have a few real ones and most CG for a tenth of the cost (or less).

I really like the new Christopher Nolan batman movies because there's only like 2 scenes in each that have any 3D graphics whatsoever. It was all there (even if some wasn't full scale), happening in front of a camera.

But that is insanely expensive, and while far cooler, and 100 times more convincing, people can't afford to blow things up for real as much since now they have cheaper alternatives.

I wish there was some way there could be some advancement in practical effects that would allow them to be cheaper than CG...

But with today's prices, sometimes practical FX just aren't practical.

Hence my choice for oldschool Anime (not the old, old stuff, but not the newer CG Anime garbage). It'd have cross market appeal as well as provide the perfect venue for the story. If you get a chance, check out the movie SPRIGGAN and imagine Traviss' RC books done in that capacity.

Here's a bit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/vZtuhILHqgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/vZtuhILHqgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Last edited:
This is why MOON by Duncan Jones is truly a movie masterpiece. The moon rovers, the base, everything was practical effects and MINIATURES. Heck, it was filmed at Shepperton Studios in England using the practical effects developed by George Lucas back in the day. The movie cost 5 million dollars to make and in my opinion connects even greater than movies ten times that budget (Avatar, ahem...). MOON isn't for everyone, it's very introspective and philosophical on several different levels and it doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator of movie goer.

Hence my choice for oldschool Anime (not the old, old stuff, but not the newer CG Anime garbage). It'd have cross market appeal as well as provide the perfect venue for the story. If you get a chance, check out the movie SPRIGGAN and imagine Traviss' RC books done in that capacity.

Here's a bit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/vZtuhILHqgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/vZtuhILHqgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

now something like that would be really cool, but it'd need better voice acting.. :lol

maybe if we all get another job each and use the money to pool together we could fund the making of a movie like that... :D

now something like that would be really cool, but it'd need better voice acting.. :lol

maybe if we all get another job each and use the money to pool together we could fund the making of a movie like that... :D

Agreed on the acting. The dubbed version I own has different acting so I'm wondering if it wasn't done by the kid who uploaded it. :lol

Post em'....

I'll try tomorrow then... I tried to upload them to photobucket but I guess my computer screwed up and ran out of memory or something and internet explorer crashed (this is actually a really good computer, as far as Vista-runners go... but I've been running high-res 3D graphics all the time on this thing, and it hasn't been actually shut down/restarted in more than 3 days, so I'm pretty sure it is out of memory)

anyway, it's late where I am, I'll reboot tomorrow and upload them again...

glad to see at least one person who seems interested :D

Back