TDK Award Winnings List

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe you guys are acting like you didn't expect to see this. The Academys are for the artsy fartsy movies. Not the latest nerdgasm summer blockbusters that we all love.

I didn't expect it because it was nominated by all of the guilds. It's only happened 3 times in the past that that doesn't translate to an Oscar nomination. So it's actually more of a surprise it didn't get nominated vs. it didn't have a chance.

I think fans should now just concentrate on TDK beating Titanic. This Oscar episode is a lost battle. For this year's TDK rerelease, fans should bring their girlfriends or wives who rather watched "Mama Mia" and other chick flicks during TDK's July opening.
It seems Titanic will enjoy another decade at #1, and TDK is the only film that has a chance to stop it from happening.

So even if a movie doesnt deserve it they should just it as many nominations as possible so a few more people will tune in :confused:

I can't believe you guys are acting like you didn't expect to see this. The Academys are for the artsy fartsy movies. Not the latest nerdgasm summer blockbusters that we all love.

That is what the People's Choice and MTV movie awards is for, the Academy is and always will do whatever they want, regardless of how many fans moan. I for one don't think TDK was deserving of any more nomimations than it got, Legder I totally agree with, beyond that everything else was par at best.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

I agree with all of you.

I'd be less bothered if Heath weren't even nominated. If TDK were utterly passed over for anything significant, it'd make sense because such films rarely get nods, but when they make a move like a posthumous nomination but no other significant recognition that had other points as notable as one man's performance, it's a little, I don't know the right word, but it doesn't sit well, and add to that, even if Heath wins the Oscar, I only consider his other awardings worth noting because he and other parts of TDK were recognized, but here, it's like the Oscar people are too afraid to be the only group not to recognize him.

I for one don't think TDK was deserving of any more nomimations than it got, Legder I totally agree with, beyond that everything else was par at best.

I loved Ledger's performance, but I don't consider it to be so separate from the film, it was a great element in a very entertaining film. I agree TDK probably doesn't deserve some things because it's not the greatest ever, but I do feel if Ledger is considered worth noticing other parts of TDK should be as well. Nolan's directing deserves as much recognition as Ledger's acting. It should be fully committed one way or another, either fully snub TDK or recognize it more thoroughly. Ledger's screen time really is maybe 1/3 the overall film run, that means 2/3 of the film were carried by everyone else and I don't care how good a performance is, people aren't going out spending the ticket money they are just to watch 1/3 of a movie.

So even if a movie doesnt deserve it they should just it as many nominations as possible so a few more people will tune in :confused:

It did deserve it though...especially over 'The Reader'...:rolleyes:

TDK on rotten tomatoes 94%
Reader 60%

TDK on 134 Top 10 critics list
The Reader on 22

IMDB TDK 9.0 from 333.000 votes
The Reader 8.0 from 2000 votes

I expect "Milk" to do very well - I haven't seen it yet, but a gay, based-on-a-true-story, set in LA movie...it's going to strike a lot of chords with the Academy's voters. Plus, those friends of mine who have seen it say it's just an awesome film anyway.

In terms of Ledger actually securing the Oscar, I'd say he has a good shot. "Doubt" has the benefit of having a Tony and (I think?) Pulitzer award winning pedigree, but Philip Seymour Hoffman already has an Oscar, and that may dull his chances against the sentiment for Ledger. Knowing nothing about "Revolutionary Road" I'd say the only other main threat would be Brolin for "Milk", just based on the reports I've heard about his performance and the way it may appeal to Academy voters as I expressed above.

Fanboy Myopia is rampant in this thread.

This is the Oscars we're talking about.

And, MaulFan, unfortunately it is probably correct that Ledger got this nomination (and some the previous wins) mostly because of the tragedy. Great performance, but not nearly as transcendent as it seems post-humously.

Fanboy Myopia is rampant in this thread.

This is the Oscars we're talking about.

And, MaulFan, unfortunately it is probably correct that Ledger got this nomination (and some the previous wins) mostly because of the tragedy. Great performance, but not nearly as transcendent as it seems post-humously.

The guilds are virtually no different from the Academy, and it made their lists. Like I said, it's a bigger shock it didn't make it than the arguement "it was to be expected." It's only the 4th time in history it's worked out this way.

As for Heath, his performance is leaps and bounds better than anyone else in the category and better yet, a more accomplished role than last years winner Javier Bardem had.

Nah. In fact, I don't even think it's that much better than Depp in the first Pirates or even Downey in Tropic Thunder this year (which are two "genre" type performances that immediately spring to mind). Remove the TDK-colored glasses and see it for what it is: a great performance by a very talented actor (and the best take on the Joker character yet). Beyond that it's just pomp and circumstance. Hell, I think Oldman and Eckhart were arguably as good in the same film!

Nah. In fact, I don't even think it's that much better than Depp in the first Pirates or even Downey in Tropic Thunder this year (which are two "genre" type performances that immediately spring to mind). Remove the TDK-colored glasses and see it for what it is: a great performance by a very talented actor (and the best take on the Joker character yet). Beyond that it's just pomp and circumstance.

I'm not sure why your default dig at someone is making them out to be a fanboy. Or for that matter as if you're seeing something the entire world isn't. You've admitted yourself just now that it's not much better than Depp's performance which was nominated, but "not much better" is still better and the same with Downey Jr. (who I just don't get the praise for this role) You also admit that it's a great performance by a talented actor. Yet somehow, going back to your original mark it's probably because he died he's getting considered? You don't have to be a fanboy to acknowledge that his performance was much more difficult and more accomplished than anyone else in the category this year. Just because you like The Dark Knight doesn't make you any less cool, nor does it mean you can't like The Watchmen anymore. It's a great film, it's not in my top 3 this year, but it's certainly deserving of the top 5 and it doesn't take a fanboy to determine that.

Okay, I'll say this point blank then: baselined, it's not any better than Downey's performance, imho.

The reason he's nominated is not necessarily because of his death (I think he'd have pulled that off regardless, and it was earned). But it is the main reason why he's likely to win.

Oh, and I just thought of another recent genre supporting performance that's just as good: Ian McKellan as Gandalf.

Heath will win the oscar. After seeing the golden globes' nominations, these don't suprise me at all.

Okay, I'll say this point blank then: baselined, it's not any better than Downey's performance, imho.

The reason he's nominated is not necessarily because of his death (I think he'd have pulled that off regardless, and it was earned). But it is the main reason why he's likely to win.

Oh, and I just thought of another recent genre supporting performance that's just as good: Ian McKellan as Gandalf.

I won't argue with you about McKellan, I will disagree with you on Downey Jr., I just don't get the love for that role in a painfully unfunny Hollywood circle jerk. I will however say that Heath's role IMO is much more accomplished, it stood out more, and was a much more challenging role than anyone else he's up against. I think he'd would have walked away with just as many wins as he has were he still alive. If he would have been up against last years competition it would be a tougher call. I think Holbrook, Affleck, and Bardem were all deserving and would give it to either on any given day and if Heath would have been in the mix and still alive I think it would be a close one. This year however, I think it's untouchable.

That would almost say something about top movie nods. If supporting actor has so little competition, that almost implies top movie nods are all on the shoulders of the star.

TDK is good because of the cast, as Irish said, Eckhart and Oldman give great performances as well, their characters just aren't as entertaining as the Joker so Ledger shines a bit more.

That would almost say something about top movie nods. If supporting actor has so little competition, that almost implies top movie nods are all on the shoulders of the star.

TDK is good because of the cast, as Irish said, Eckhart and Oldman give great performances as well, their characters just aren't as entertaining as the Joker so Ledger shines a bit more.

Only this years likely winner for best picture has no acting nominations.

*snip*

Hell, I think Oldman and Eckhart were arguably as good in the same film!

Eckhart, hmm, maybe he came close. Close-ish. But Oldman's Gordon I thought could have done with a lot of work, if on nothing else than on maintaining an American accent properly!

Only this years likely winner for best picture has no acting nominations.

But you were saying Ledger was almost a sure win because of poor competition in the supporting category, so I'm saying to that, to me such a statement says movies nominated for best picture can have poor supporting cast, but a film witha great supporting actor isn't worthy of being noted. It's actual a bit insulting to Nolan and the rest of the crew, only recognizing Heath kinda says this guy is the only thing good that came out of all your work, rest of you suck, that's messed up.

I will however say that Heath's role IMO is much more accomplished, it stood out more, and was a much more challenging role than anyone else he's up against.

I think he'd would have walked away with just as many wins as he has were he still alive.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on those two points, then. :huh

Back