The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger win!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing against Ledger, but it's really not fair to the other nominated actors. I think Downey or Brolin could have easily taken the award if it weren't for Ledger's passing. I guess the CCA couldn't resist bringing Nolan in for a heartfelt eulogy-esque speech for Ledger. But Ledger does deserve the recognition.

Brolin maybe, but not Downey. Brolin will be Heath's biggest competition for the rest fo the awards. I'm sorry but if you see Milk or Doubt, Brolin, Franco, and Hoffman all pull out some of their best work. In comparisson to the three of them and Heath, Downey was out of his league (for this particular role). I am not saying he can't act, he was great in Chaplin and looks to be in another Oscar-buzzworthy film The Soloist. I just don't think his work in TT is award-winning.

I did see both Milk and Doubt. Both are great movies containing wonderful performances, but those are the "Oscar-bait" films that net nominations at awards shows easily. Tropic Thunder, not so much, so it's nice to see an actor being nominated for a performance that's so different and quirky, especially considering that it's a comedy.

It doesn't matter, though, Ledger did win. I wonder if this is some sort of prelude to what'll happen at the Oscars. If so, I feel bad for Hoffman, Brolin, and whoever else gets the nod.

Wasn't bad but he was coffin through the whole thing. :horror

No seriously though, normally I would say he is quite the Joker, but last night he just didnt seem to have any life in him.

Oh crap...now Im going to hell for sure.

:devil:devil:devil:devil:devil:devil

imsatan.gif

:monkey3

Not to derail all the awesome winnings of Heath, but how eerie is it that when they announce the Oscar nominations on January 22nd (which Heath will surely get the nod for Supporting Actor), it will be exactly a year since he's been gone? Unreal...

I'm wearing all Joker crap to school that day. A little cliche, and hokey...but I dont know...he deserves it. I'd do the same for Bale if he died. That would be worse to me...since he IS my favorite actor.

I felt so bad for Downey and Eckhart. I think Downey was just as good as Ledger, in TT, but they had to give Ledger the sympathy vote. Plus, I could definitely see Ledger getting an Oscar nomination (which he does at least deserve,) since TDK was a dramatic, universally praised movie, but I doubt the Academy would give a low-brow comedy like TT the same acknowledgement. Sorry RDJ, no awards for you this year.

And I though Eckhart's Two Face was even more impressive than Ledger's Joker (as great and memorable as he was): He had more screen-time, Dent's story was the driving force of the film, and he was a HUGE step up from Tommy Lee Jones' previous live action incarnation; Yet the guy doesn't get ^^^^ from he industry, except more questions about Heath Ledger from annoying reporters.

Last edited:
yeah eckhart should have gotten more credit.. shame shame, I kinda don't like how everyone was overshadowed by heath, no disrespects, he deserves it for his performance, but they should have acknowlegde everybody else too.

Oh boo hoo. Get over it. It happens. Ackhart isnt crying every night, cursing Heaths name, Downey I'm sure is fine with it...Everyone has their time to shine. TDK's was Ledgers. Aaron's time will come no doubt. He'll win someday, because he has potential.

I really don't know how you guys can believe Eckhart was better than Ledger? :confused:

Eckhart's Harvey Two-Face just didn't captivate me. Ledger's Joker did. I was anxiously awaiting for him to return to the screen, every time there wasn't a scene with him.

My god... I'm so sick of people saying Heath won just 'cos he died.

Same here.

Fact is, we'll never know for sure if his death was a deciding factor, so why debate it? Personally, I think he would have won regardless. Out of all the nominees, Heath was the only one who completely disappeared into the role and left no trace of himself on the screen. It was only the Joker. The others didn't do that. Downey Jr. was close but Ledger did a better job. And Cruise was frankly a glorified cameo--not a "supporting actor".

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion about who should have won and rightfully so, but some of the "it's because he died" comments are uncalled for.

Nothing against Ledger, but it's really not fair to the other nominated actors. I think Downey or Brolin could have easily taken the award if it weren't for Ledger's passing. I guess the CCA couldn't resist bringing Nolan in for a heartfelt eulogy-esque speech for Ledger. But Ledger does deserve the recognition.

I agree its not fair because death always eliminates error in peoples minds. In this case, however, I don't think it would have made a difference. If the award goes to Best Actor, Ledger won hands down. Downey was perfect for Iron Man, no question asked, but it was more the role fit to the actor, while Ledger's joker was the actor fit to the role. Unless of course Ledger was a sadistic, murderous, souless clown in his off time.

The "it's a sympathy vote" people are just soured up pucker faces. Heath would have won if he were still alive without a doubt. I could see a legit arguement if he'd only won in a couple of different awards cirlces and there was someone else splitting a lot of the awards, but that just isn't the case. He's won every single one minus 3. There have only been 2 other actors that have won. Josh Brolin has won 2 and Eddie Marsan won 1. If this was some kind of conspiracy you'd see a lot more wins by other people but it's not even close. Ledgers performance is light years above Javier Bardems "Anton" which swept the awards last year, so this comes as no surprise and has nothing to do with a sympathy vote. The Oscar is already locked up for him as well so you pucker faces better get over it. Call it lack of competition or what have you but Ledgers performance is easily the stand out supporting role this year and would be still if he were alive.

I didn't know where else to post this, but Entertainment Weekly has a nice tribute to Ledger in the new issue with him on the cover.

Back