Tamiya - 1/6 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy LO (model-kit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it begins....
Good luck with your build :clap Any reason your spending extra $$$ on DX10 head ?

Thanks... it's been good so far... The reason for the DX10 head is that I'm not a fan of the original sculpture... with the sunglasses the DX10 is sput on for me. I made a bit more progress last night. What slows the build down is having to prime and paint the parts before putting them together. The detail in the kit is excellent though.

For those who have asked about painting, the kit comes in black and chromed plastic, plus some soft vinyl parts like the seat and some other bits and pieces. The instructions show Tamiya paints, there's about 6-8 of them I think... luckily I had most of them already... off the top of my head you need, Black, flat black, semi gloss black, Titanium Gold (I think), Silver Chrome, and there is a shade of green, maybe a couple of others, I'll check later if anyone wants the full list. It's not too difficult a build, as usual you make up sub-assemblies, but you do need time and patience... the nuts and bolts and screws can be a little fiddley so it's not for the heavy handed either. I'll take another pic tonight for those interested in the build.

Great start guys!

For those that know or will be doing it - which bits of the Lo need to be painted differently to look like the fatboy?

I know there's the back indicator frame needs chroming as it's black, I'm sure there are more

This pic of the old Tamiya Fat Boy and the LO will give you an idea. Personally, I'm going to paint it as a LO, I'm sure it's still going to look great.

n6zd.jpg

Thanks... it's been good so far... The reason for the DX10 head is that I'm not a fan of the original sculpture... with the sunglasses the DX10 is sput on for me. I made a bit more progress last night. What slows the build down is having to prime and paint the parts before putting them together. The detail in the kit is excellent though.

For those who have asked about painting, the kit comes in black and chromed plastic, plus some soft vinyl parts like the seat and some other bits and pieces. The instructions show Tamiya paints, there's about 6-8 of them I think... luckily I had most of them already... off the top of my head you need, Black, flat black, semi gloss black, Titanium Gold (I think), Silver Chrome, and there is a shade of green, maybe a couple of others, I'll check later if anyone wants the full list. It's not too difficult a build, as usual you make up sub-assemblies, but you do need time and patience... the nuts and bolts and screws can be a little fiddley so it's not for the heavy handed either. I'll take another pic tonight for those interested in the build.

Thanks for your Infos. so would you say that it is necessary to paint these parts or can they be used unpainted and just glue them together? when I look at the pictures, the parts seem to have the right color from the beginning, so I hope it won't be that important to paint all these parts to have a decent look of it.

Thanks for your Infos. so would you say that it is necessary to paint these parts or can they be used unpainted and just glue them together? when I look at the pictures, the parts seem to have the right color from the beginning, so I hope it won't be that important to paint all these parts to have a decent look of it.

You might be able to get away with not painting the black parts, but it won't look as good. The blacks aren't all the same so it breaks it up a little. I'm air brushing them, but you could easily brush them.

Some more progress shots, Mud guards primed>
(I'd also highly recommend spraying the larger parts with rattle can or air spray for best results.)

lol no that's Tamiya gray surface primer, They were originally blue plastics though. Nice even Tamiya semi-gloss black, Going to give it another light coat later.

Thanks, Just a quick update with the decals and a light coating of clear gloss to seal them, Also note these are replacement decal stickers as the originals were so old they just fell apart. The new ones look a little bleached out due to the camera flash but are fine in person.

My fatboy progress to date. Not long left I think. Will post pictures once done with Arnie on board! image.jpg

Ooo, you are a bit further along than me Nemo. It's a fun build, ain't it?

ye55.jpg

4u4e.jpg

finished mine yesterday (old variant) :)
well not finished, no rear light / license plate yet.

day354_002_zpse205b15a.jpg~original

day354_001_zps34cfa219.jpg~original

day354_003_zps628208b6.jpg~original

day354_004_zps700a896a.jpg~original

day354_005_zpsf4935193.jpg~original

lots of lame mistakes, but i never assembled a model before. and won't go through that again )

new fatboy looks more safe/reliable from photos and specifications. pity they didn't just re-release the 90ths variant. anyway Tamiya gave everybody a chance to equip their T-800 with a bike )

p.s. the speedometer is in km/h. does the new one have proper mph one?

Looks good P, Yeah some of the bits on this old version are a right nightmare, I've had to file down some bits and re-glue just to get them to stay in place, Have you got any side panniers sorted out ?
Some nice reference material>

Have you got any side panniers sorted out ?
Some nice reference material>

nothing!
well i mean i got some "gas bags", i guess a-dev used same or just advised to use them. but still no creative ideas how to turn them into saddle bags. need 4 belts, don't have them, still hate the assembling too much to care about bags yet :)
i wonder why there are totally no 1/6 bike saddle bags. tamiya made so many bikes, yet no bags. they remade their 1/6 terminator bike - what a coincidence - together with popularity of 1/6 terminator, but still no bags.

Back