Tamiya - 1/6 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy LO (model-kit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right alot of work. .... If i wasn't into Terminator so much, it would be an easy pass for me.......

not as easy as building Gundams…this kit is not a snap kit….almost everything needs to be sanded..painted and glued together..

Sanded? Jesus! Does it really? I'm starting to regret getting one...

Why do they need to be sanded? I just bought one too are they really
Difficult? Or just time consuming

I can't paint at all though so shod
I get it painted by someone before I try and put it together?

Should have thought this through! Anyone wanna paint or put one of these together hit me up

if you want it perfect..you will have to go through steps but I guess you can build it and just glue it together and be happy with it..

there are a lot of videos online from basic building to customizing kits and sadly..this kit is not for the novice..if you really want to bring the kits potential..you will need experience to bring this kit to justice…

by the way, this is not meant to discourage whoever got this kit and without experience building it, like I said..you can put it together and be satisfied with it..

That for the info man!

Let's be honest. Who wants a fatboy that's just ok for that amount of money

Why do they need to be sanded? I just bought one too are they really
Difficult? Or just time consuming

I can't paint at all though so shod
I get it painted by someone before I try and put it together?

Should have thought this through! Anyone wanna paint or put one of these together hit me up

I'm glad I'm not the only one starting to regret the purchase :-(

Just go slow and watch youtube vids as ppl have already said, You also want the right tools and use thinner with paint to avoid brush strokes if not using spray paints. I've just started building my original Tamiya Fatboy.

This vid shows good sanding technique>

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTVuiZ368g[/ame]

:lol I'm pretty handy with model-making materials from my days building form studies as an industrial designer. But I balked at this because to do it justice, with two young kids in the mix, would take me an AGE. Right tools, right materials, a clear workspace plus the time = regretable pass. Good luck fellas!

I am about a third the way building this bike. I am no expert at all and it's been real fun so far. Fits together really well and instructions are nice and clear. Comes with a lot of small screws and bolts etc but the necessary tools to handle these. It takes time and patience but it's not been difficult so far. Will post pics once finished-probably February at the rate I am going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am about a third the way building this bike. I am no expert at all and it's been real fun so far. Fits together really well and instructions are nice and clear. Comes with a lot of small screws and bolts etc but the necessary tools to handle these. It takes time and patience but it's not been difficult so far. Will post pics once finished-probably February at the rate I am going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes building these kits can be very rewarding, when I build models I usually take my time, a few hours a week, it takes forever to get anything built :exactly:
but its fun never the less.
Lets see some pics of your work in progress nemo

Most of kit parts are black plastic but the manual does give black paint reference numbers for these. You might get away without painting but will look much better if you do. The chrome parts do not need painting and are really nicely finished. I will definitely post some pics for certain. I am useless at building models but it's going ok at the moment.

Yes it's very satisfying but can be frustrating as well sometimes, My Fatboys the original version and the chrome is scuffed on a few pieces (well it is 10 plus years old) so I've got to do the bleach strip on some of them, I've ordered Spaz Stix 10009 ULTIMATE MIRROR CHROME AEROSOL from the states to re-do them.
My progress so far>

I wouldn't have the patience for this. Broke the handlebars off my Tamiya yet again* the other day and the effort to fix them back on stressed the bejaysus out of me. No way I could build one from scratch.

*seriously whose bright idea was it to have a heavy metal piece attach to the bike via thin hollow plastic parts?

Back