Superman Returns - SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey..no quibble here..pjam and I are ok....always been..different opinion thats all....There is only one here that I hate with a passion....:lol

Shaihulud said:
hey..no quibble here..pjam and I are ok....always been..different opinion thats all....There is only one here that I hate with a passion....:lol

Yep, we're cool, always have been, I got "no axe to grind" with the Shai-man, and you have a new Jason film coming, so it's all good in the hood.

Here's my in depth opinion: I really enjoyed it and plan on seeing it again. Now give me my Hot Toys figure.

I guess the "plan on seeing it again" part really wasn't an opinion as much as a statement.

Batty said:
Here's my in depth opinion: I really enjoyed it and plan on seeing it again. Now give me my Hot Toys figure.

I guess the "plan on seeing it again" part really wasn't an opinion as much as a statement.

:rotfl

I'm gonna see it again too, in IMAX, want to see the deleted stuff on Krypton and a few other scenes in 3D, now where's my HT Supes to go with my Reeves and Reeve figs.

Batty, what did you think of Routh, did you like him?

What's the deal with the IMAX 3-D stuff? Has anyone seen it in IMAX yet?

I'd like to, but I don't want to be focusing on when I should put my glasses on.

Wor-Gar said:
What's the deal with the IMAX 3-D stuff? Has anyone seen it in IMAX yet?

I'd like to, but I don't want to be focusing on when I should put my glasses on.

There aren't that many scenes in 3D, maybe a handful and some have complained it was hard to watch in busy scenes like the shuttle scene...

pjam said:
Batty, what did you think of Routh, did you like him?
I thought he did a great job. He was totally believable as Superman and Clark. I thought there was a certain amount of Reeve in his performance, but I didn't mind at all. I felt it to be more of a tribute to him. No one can live up to Christopher Reeve.

On a side note: I wore my Christopher Reeve Foundation dog-tags to the movie. It was the only time I've ever worn them.

Batty said:
I thought he did a great job. He was totally believable as Superman and Clark. I thought there was a certain amount of Reeve in his performance, but I didn't mind at all. I felt it to be more of a tribute to him. No one can live up to Christopher Reeve.

On a side note: I wore my Christopher Reeve Foundation dog-tags to the movie. It was the only time I've ever worn them.

Very cool, I removed my Les Walker Christopher Reeve Tribute fig from its box for the very first time and posed him (fig in my avatar) to pay tribute...

Yeah, I was extremely surprised at how well Brandon carried the role, didn't know what to expect, maybe just some catalogue model in a suit but I really liked him, a lot, as a person and as an actor portraying both roles, he's seems like a very decent guy, much like Christopher in that respect.

and he played Clark especially well in reacting to Lois and her relationship with her fiance...

Liked it, didn't love it...at first. But since leaving the theater I keep thinking about it and I'm liking it more and wanting to see it again right away. The beginning was sooooo slooooooow, but it did pick up enough for me in the middle...well...the end of the middle anyway. :lol

I would've definitly liked to see more action scenes but the ones they had were done beautifully IMO. Loved that they included a space shuttle (I only noticed the plane in the ads), loved hearing (and seeing) the sonic boom as he took off once, loved seeing him getting his butt kicked (for the reasons the movie makers intended, not like in MI3), and...even tho I should've known he'd have to lose his powers temporarily (how else could they make it dramatic) it took me by surprise the way it all went down. I didn't expect to like the story and I actually did. Didn't expect to like him having a kid but the way they tied it all together with the parallel of him and Jor El made it work (for me). I do have to agree that Spacey's Lex sucked. But really the only character in the movie that really did it for me was Supes. Everyone else was...watered down...or something.

Just my opinion, but overall I'd give it a thumbs up.

Sith Lord 0498 said:
Amen to that, my friend!! I personally loved this movie. In fact, I went last night at 10:00 and again today at 11:30 am (which led me to miss the initial evac notice for my town up here in good ol' flooded Pennsylvania).

~off topic:
You live in PA too?? Didn't know there was another PA board member. The rain has been crazy over the past days. It took 3.5hrs to go to work. Usually it only takes me 1.5hr. I live in a small town call Hanover! :D

~back on topic:

I loved this movie so much that I am going to see it again and again and again~ :D

Haven't seen the movie yet so i just skipped everyones post.

Question: Don't make fun of me but, Why does a Kryptonite weaken Superman if he is from Planet Krypton? :confused:

student_toe5 said:

Question: Don't make fun of me but, Why does a Kryptonite weaken Superman if he is from Planet Krypton? :confused:

On Earth it emits a radiation lethal to Superman.

student_toe5 said:

There are a few different explanations. The simplest answer is that Krypton was radiated when it exploded.

Last edited:
I just got back from the movie and I have to say... it rocked.. I am a huge Superman fan, comics and the old films (1 and 2 anyways...). And I wasn't disappointed in the least. Routh did an excellent job and within 10 minutes he WAS Superman IMO...

Once I saw the words going across the screen in old school fashion, the John Williams score ringing in my ears... I knew I'd be hooked. Everything was just as I wanted it to be, and I could not be happier.

I understand where some people are disappointed and such, but I wasn't. Great film.... :D

Superman Returns

Am I crazy or is there not a thread about this movie???? I knwo a lot of you saw it at 10 on tuesday.... so why no thread? Am i crazy and just missed it?

Anyway, I saw it tonight, and I have to say, I liked it. Now, I went in with no expectations and was pleased. I have never been a Superman fan.. not that I didnt' like him, but he was just never my thing. A little too clean, too perfect and too... super(?) for my tastes. I reveled in the darker, more tortured and demented regions of the psyche with The Bat... but i digress.

The movie is handled very well in my opinino. Singer obviously knows what he is doing and has proven himself to be a bankable and talented filmmaker. His vision is not perfect here though. I didn't feel that the film gelled or conected with the audience until Supes saves the day (and the plane). For me, that was the moment the film began. Everything up to that point, felt disjointed and uneasy (probably the result of a studio pressured and time conscious edit...). Even nice scenes with Clark returning to his childhood home and existing in that world felt out of place. But as I said, I found the movie to move along quite nicely as soon as Supes got into the action.

My other main criticism was regarding Lex's plot. What was the deal with that? It was SOOO STRANGE and left field. He was going to create land??? Huh? I found this to be such a wacky idea that was completely undeveloped (which furthered its wackey status). But luckily, Lex's plot is not the crux of the film. That would be all about Supes. The man. The myth. The guy who is looking for is place and purpose in the world, nay, universe. The home of his origin is gone, and the world that became his home seems to have learned to live without him. The woman he wants has moved on, though deep down she wants him too. Like how deep down, the world also wants. him.

I found the themes and motifs to be very strong throughout. Atlas, Christ, Gods vs mortals etc etc. And thought that the actors all rose to the challenge with not a weak link found in the film.

And while we're talking about actors, lets get one thing straight. I dont care WHAT could have been on screen or how long it could have gone on for... as long as Brandon Routh was playing Superman, my ass would have remained in that seat and my face would have been plastered with a smile. Is there anyone here that is going to deny that that is one hell of a good looking man? It was almost distracting... almost:monkey5 . But a pretty face alone couldn't get the job done ... almost... but not totally. And luckily, Routh IS Superman. Emotionally and phsyically. He makes us believe.

Lastly, I did feel the film missed its potential by not addressing what I had thought woudl be the message of the film. And that is simply this. Superman IS America. He represents the freedom blaring horns and the vibrant flowing colors of the flag. He is America through and through. And America is a much different place today than last we had our Superman. And to me, THAT was what this film should have BEEN about. About America getting its hero back. Having the ability to look at the man of steel and see in him the best things about our country, and now that he, like we, will always be there to serve and protect. To do good. To bring truth and justice, in the American way of old. There were cetainly elements of this in the film, but to me, I thougth it should have been the focal point through which the story should have been told.

All in all, Congrats to Singer. For all its faults, 'Superman Returns' is a success, and a worthy welcome back to America's (albeit not my) favorite super man.

Back