Superman Returns - SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The majority of the critics have given it positive reviews. There are a lot of people who like it. I think the general public will be split. Some will be expecting more action and fun and cheesy/tongue in cheek humor, and others will appreciate the character-driven storyline and the melancholy tone and lonesome/conflicted hero at the center of it. This is sincere and thoughtful in its approach, and it's not a cheesy cornball kiddy flick. This is not what many want in a superhero movie, but a lot of people will enjoy it who weren't expecting to like it at all (and vice versa).

hairlesswookiee said:
lol!!! this is funny. i GOT the movie completely, why do people assume that crap. i dont like the movie because its not good, not because i dont get it. yes i know that he gets his powers from the sun-- yay he went and got a quick recharge??? ok sure. if you guys say this is such a great movie i cant wait to read your reviews for Snakes on a Plane.

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha Hairless dont bother, I guess you cant discuss some people's tastes....Some people definitely arent too critical when it comes to movies...As long as there is action, a love theme,a passing of the torch,and all those Hollywood cliché that overshadows bad acting, a bad scenario and bad editing I might add, people will kept identify themselves with those movies...Lost cause here....

And how many of you had a tear or goosebumps when they heard Routh sayin :''You will carry me inside you all the days of your life...You will see my life through your eyes,as your life will be seen through mine....The son becomes the father,and the father becomes the son..."

You see for me thats some Hollywood cliché line...That scene was intended for this...Deja-Vu.

SolidLiquidFox said:
Hairlesswookiee: did you like Batman Begins?

yeah i saw it, but it didnt do too much for me. i liked it better than superman returns. i'll take keaton and reeves over bale and routh in a deathmatch anyday!!!

SolidLiquidFox said:
Hairlesswookiee: did you like Batman Begins?

In Batman Begins, For half the movie, the character goes into soul searching..which was really remarkable....In this movie: Niet, nothing...

tomandshell said:
This is sincere and thoughtful in its approach, and it's not a cheesy cornball kiddy flick. This is not what many want in a superhero movie, but a lot of people will enjoy it who weren't expecting to like it at all (and vice versa).

Exactly, it's not a cheesy kiddy flick and that will disappoint many but it accomplishes what it needs to kickstart the franchise and yes, it's a character driven piece... it's not perfect but it reintroduces us into Superman's world and there is no comparison with Batman Begins because that was a completely different take on the character and story, this picked up where others left off and much of that part of the (origin) story was already told.

Word of mouth will determine its fate now.

I'm a big comics fan and I love the Superman character, so I'm probably too demanding but I thought the film could have been a whole lot better that it was. Singer is in love with the original Richard Donner films (as are many here) and certainly pays them hommage in "Superman Returns". They were always a tad campy for my tastes and this film was also. I thought Routh was a fine Superman, I'm just sorry they had him doing a Christopher Reeve impression when he's playing Clark. It was a silly take on the character then and it still is now.
Some really odd behavior from the man of steel. So many of the things Superman does like using his X-Ray vision for "peeping" into Lois's home and eavesdropping was just ridiculous. Supermans son? Please. Not to mention this was a Lois movie, not a Superman movie. Far too much time wasted on Lois exposition and back story filler with very little invested in the man in blue. Theres so much more I was unhappy with regarding Superman/Clarks absence and return after five years, too much fidelity to the Lex characters background from the first two films that would have been better buried and redrawn, the Parker Posey character being a Valerie Perine character impersonation/continuation that was silly in the disco era, soooooo much more. I found a lot not to like.
On the positive side, the effects were excellent. They come way closer this time in making you beleive a man can fly. Effects have come quite some way in twenty five years. And much of the action is very well thought out and designed. Not much of it, but what their was was choice.
Routh makes a pretty darned good Superman. When they gave him a couple of lines he delivered them fine and he looked good in the suit. If they decide to make a Superman movie instead of a Lois movie next time, he will be able to carry the load. But I'm hoping he might work on a George Reeves Clark impressin for the next film. Much better understanding of the character and a bunch less silly.
And I thought Spacey did okay considering the material. You have to deliver the lines they give you and follow the direction and I felt like he did as well or better than any other actor I can think of would within those parameters.
This wasn't a particularly good film. Not "Captain America" bad but not what it should have been.

Last edited:
Shaihulud said:
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha Hairless dont bother, I guess you cant discuss some people's tastes....Some people definitely arent too critical when it comes to movies...As long as there is action, a love theme,a passing of the torch,and all those Hollywood cliché that overshadows bad acting, a bad scenario and bad editing I might add, people will kept identify themselves with those movies...Lost cause here....

Exactly! That's how Marvel keeps rolling their crap out. One pile after another.

pixletwin said:
I think I'll refrain from reading any reviews by anyone with a picture of Superman as their avatar :lol

j/k ;)

Fans of the franchise have the most to lose when disappointed. For me I dreaded walking in there after reading AICN posts, etc. and then decided to go in with no expectations. I was pleasantly surprised for what it was and what it endeavored to be.

So I guess if someone like Shai who loves Jason gives a glowing review of the next Jason film, we should refrain from reading his review?

Or maybe what you're saying is if you give any review for any Star Wars related material we should refrain from reading your review? :lol

TheObsoleteMan said:
Ah, messagboards. Where differing opinions are taken as personal insults.

Amen to that, my friend!! I personally loved this movie. In fact, I went last night at 10:00 and again today at 11:30 am (which led me to miss the initial evac notice for my town up here in good ol' flooded Pennsylvania). Routh is incredible. It was a faithful continuation of the first two Reeve films. Bosworth was passable. Spacey...maybe a bit over the top but definitely edgier.

But y'know what...that's my opinion. If pressed to, I'll defend it. But what I don't get and won't get involved in are these personal flame wars that flare up on message boards. Sideshow Freaks was one of the few boards I've seen where this kind of crap doesn't really go on too much. It's sad to see it happen within the first page of this thread.

People really need to just state their point, debate it like adults, and accept the fact that not everyone will share their opinions. After all, this is just a movie.

I do think those who truly love Superman may be the best judge of what is right for the "Superman" world...however, it seems like most people reviewing here just weren't that crazy over the film.

I can't wait to see the responses fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to each and everyone of the other board members here..And I apologise with the gay comment and all,and those who love the Superman Movie its all good...But about Collector freak..well, I just hate the guy.

Last edited:
Guys, let's keep it on topic. Let's not attack each other because of the merits of Superman Returns. :rolleyes:

I only asked about Batman Begins because it gives me an idea of how open minded some are in regards to these new reboots on classic franchises from our youth. Nothing will top the original Superman movie. Reeves will always be Superman to me. Nothing like seeing something through the eyes of a child (me at 4 years old) and in a different time when we were not so dissensitized by special effects and CGI.

HOWEVER, I went to see Batman Begins and Superman Returns with a complete open mind. As a comics fan that is HARD. Especially when you are sitting there watching stuff like Xmen 3 and know the backstory to all these characters and don't agree to all changes made becuase you know the comics version is better for a lot of things. The same goes for any other comics movie. We comic geeks have to work HARD to let go. You have to judge it for what it is. If it does justice to the franchise and if it stands as a good movie then enjoy it.

I thought Superman Returns was a good movie. It entertained me and made me believe Routh was flying and doing all those amazing things that inspire the imagination. That's all I was asking for when I gave my $7.00 and that's what I got.

I'm not really sure what some people were expecting from this film.

It's a Superman movie. He stopped a plane crash, foiled a bank robbery, flirted with Lois a bit and saved the world. There's really not much more you can do with Supes. He's not broody like Batman or angst ridden like Spidey. He's just the big blue boy scout, and that's a good thing in my book.

~~~ on topic, im not saying batman begins was bad, im just saying its not the great movie i hoped it would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheObsoleteMan said:
I'm not really sure what some people were expecting from this film.

It's a Superman movie. He stopped a plane crash, foiled a bank robbery, flirted with Lois a bit and saved the world. There's really not much more you can do with Supes. He's not broody like Batman or angst ridden like Spidey. He's just the big blue boy scout, and that's a good thing in my book.

Yep, forgot to mention there was a really hilarous Mountain Dew Ad with a guy falling off a cliff and spilling down, bouncing off everything you can think of.

Also Spidey 3 Trailer was excellent, brought cheers...

pjam said:
Or maybe what you're saying is if you give any review for any Star Wars related material we should refrain from reading your review? :lol
Peace Pjam. I like you. No offense was meant. Don't bring me into any minute quibble (yes, quibble) you guys are having with Shai. T'was a jest sir. Perhaps you should take it in the spirit it was offered. :D

hippie.jpg

pixletwin said:
Peace Pjam. I like you. No offense was meant. Don't bring me into any minute quibble (yes, quibble) you guys are having with Shai. T'was a jest sir. Perhaps you should take it in the spirit it was offered. :D

hippie.jpg

No worries, no offense taken, just didn't seem very funny at the time I guess.

ps I like you too, bro. :cool:
peace out...

Back