Superman Returns - SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SideshowDusty said:
I'm not in the "it rocked" contingent. Probably because I never really liked Superman to begin with. I just don't like the mythos. I don't like that he can apparently hear all the bad stuff going on around the world, yet takes a break to be Clark Kent once in a while. If he's an invincible super hero who doesn't really need sleep and was sent to Earth to help save it, he should be a super hero all the time - instead of just picking and choosing who to save and when, he should be saving everyone that he possibly can at any given moment. I guess it never really made sense to me, whereas superheroes like Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman do all they can, with the powers that they have, in the cities/areas where they live - because they don't HAVE the ability to get around the world and save someone in France in under 2 seconds. They don't have supersonic hearing in order to hear all the cries of help. They have to rely on their wits and what's going on around them. I guess to me, it just seems that Superman doesn't do ENOUGH saving. I mean, if I had that kind of power, I'd be all over the place all the time, not sitting around in my geek suit and glasses, watching myself on the news, while taking a break from the saving. :dunno

/Superman rant

Actually that's exactly why I do like Superman! He's a Super Man. He can only do so much, and that is what his real weakness is. Just because he could exhaust himself saving everyone in the universe (or trying to) doesn't mean he should. Take a normal person like me for example. I (along with my wife) earn enough money to have a nice sized house (for our age anyway) one new car, one old car, a big dog, etc, etc (not to mention an ever increasing toy habit). Now, I could sell off everything I own, live in the smallest cheapest place possible, buy buddy brand canned Ravioli for every meal, get rid of my dog, sell off my toys and give everything extra that I make to the poor, church, charitble foundations etc. But I don't, because I believe that I have the right as a human being to decide what to do with my money, time, possesions, etc. Having Super powers doesn't make him less of a person, therefore he chooses (as is his right IMO) to lead a normal life as well. IMO it makes for a very complex fictional character. Marvel's Sentry is actually a character much like you describe. I don't know a ton about him but from what I understand he uses (or used) a computer to calculate exactly where he should go and exactly how much time he should spend there. To me that's kind of a boring way to use a Super Hero. But that's just me.

This reminds me of my favorite line out of JLU when Darkseid says "Super or not, you're still just a man." :D

Great review BTW, good job!

SideshowDusty said:
Well, see, that makes perfect sense. But this movie makes Superman God, and really drives the 'Savior Of Earth' theme home. So I guess that's why it's confusing to me. :confused:

Oh, and I forgot to mention this little question - if Superman is not human, and it's pointed out again and again that he will never really fit in with the human race, HOW ON EARTH CAN HE FATHER A CHILD WITH HUMAN WOMAN???

The End.

Jorel sent Kal-el to Earth because his superpowers could help mankind, however he warned him not to interfere with human history, which he did in the original movie to save Lois.

Confused yet?

The God thing I think has been taken out of context in this film by some viewers, most notably in the flying sequence with Lois, who felt the world could manage on it's own without Superman,as it always did.

But Superman said he could "hear the cries of people asking for a savior", meaning people needed him. There is no doubt he was sent to earth to help save mankind but there is a huge difference between GOD and a Savior. Firemen, Doctors, etc. can be saviors, Superman is a savior yes, but God, not at all...

How can he father a child with a human woman?

I guess he was human enough...

pjam said:
Jorel sent Kal-el to Earth because his superpowers could help mankind, however he warned him not to interfere with human history, which he did in the original movie to save Lois.

Confused yet?

See, here's where I'm fuzzy again. So it's okay to interfere with history to save SOME people, but not others? I just don't think I could live with that. It definitely makes for a complex character and story-line - maybe the movies could deal with it better or something? Instead of showing him like a rock star, rocketing around the earth saving people, then basking in the glory by watching himself on TV.

pjam said:
The God thing I think has been taken out of context in this film by some viewers, most notably in the flying sequence with Lois, who felt the world could manage on it's own without Superman,as it always did.

But Superman said he could "hear the cries of people asking for a savior", meaning people needed him. There is no doubt he was sent to earth to help save mankind but there is a huge difference between GOD and a Savior. Firemen, Doctors, etc. can be saviors, Superman is a savior yes, but God, not at all...

When I think savior (small S), I think Ghandi, Mother Teresa, etc - mortals doing everything in their power to help people. This movie shows him as a Savior (big S) - more specifically as Jesus (in essence - God) - stabbed in the same place, hanging as if on a cross after dumping the land mass in outer space, dying, then being resurrected.

I just didn't like seeing Superman as Jesus/God, not only because it confused the issue of why he takes breaks from the saving, but also because I just don't like being hit over the head with allegory. So sue me.

pjam said:
How can he father a child with a human woman?

I guess he was human enough...

*snert* I'm not going there!

Superman's greatest character flaw is his humanity. The thing is that his humanity is necessary for him to be Superman. Otherwise he would just take over the world or simply not care.

The humanity aspect of the character has been touched upon in all 3 flicks (I am counting I, II and Returns since they are relevant to each other). I am ready for the next flick to deal with some super-heroics. Braniac/Luthor Vs Supes anyone?

SideshowDusty said:
See, here's where I'm fuzzy again. So it's okay to interfere with history to save SOME people, but not others? I just don't think I could live with that. It definitely makes for a complex character and story-line - maybe the movies could deal with it better or something? Instead of showing him like a rock star, rocketing around the earth saving people, then basking in the glory by watching himself on TV.

When I think savior (small S), I think Ghandi, Mother Teresa, etc - mortals doing everything in their power to help people. This movie shows him as a Savior (big S) - more specifically as Jesus (in essence - God) - stabbed in the same place, hanging as if on a cross after dumping the land mass in outer space, dying, then being resurrected.

I just didn't like seeing Superman as Jesus/God, not only because it confused the issue of why he takes breaks from the saving, but also because I just don't like being hit over the head with allegory. So sue me.

*snert* I'm not going there!

Well, it's a subject of some discussion in many quarters. Gene Simmons of Kiss says Superman is based on the story of Moses, others say it's Jesus. Yes, you can definitely take some imagery in this film and say they wanted to portray a Jesus-like figure in some scenes and that may be offensive to some and I think that is a fair criticism, but God, no, I don't equate him with God. A Savior, yes, big, small or medium size S...

btw, in the original Superman movie there was a lot of controversy about him interfering with human history and that was perceived as a God like act, in effect an act of god to save one he loves which is exactly why he isn't God at all, he was confused and hurt, guilt-ridden about losing his father let his selfish "human" emotions take over...

but in the end, it's a Movie about a comic book character with superpowers trying to do some good, an adopted son trying to fit into a world he is not from but cares about and that's a tough thing to do in any world.

Batty said:
I guess it takes a lot for some people to just sit back and enjoy a movie. :D

:lol I liked and enjoyed the movie for the most part, don't get me wrong. Will probably see it again. Just didn't care for the allegory at all.

And now that Klauder pointed it out, I don't much care that Superman's kid's first super-power demonstration was to take a life. OOOOOOHHHHHHH - maybe the kid will turn out to be a bad guy!! That could be pretty cool.

Batty said:
I guess it takes a lot for some people to just sit back and enjoy a movie. :D
No kidding. I just propped my feet up, munched on my popcorn and had fun watching Superman stop plane crashes and whatnot. This is a comic book movie, it ain't Citizen Kane.

SideshowDusty said:
:lol I liked and enjoyed the movie for the most part, don't get me wrong. Will probably see it again. Just didn't care for the allegory at all.
I know, Dusty. I'm just giving you good-natured hard time. :lol

SideshowDusty said:

And now that Klauder pointed it out, I don't much care that Superman's kid's first super-power demonstration was to take a life. OOOOOOHHHHHHH - maybe the kid will turn out to be a bad guy!! That could be pretty cool.

His Mother was about to be murdered and he threw a piano at the killer to stop him and it ended up killing him. Guess he threw it harder than he realized he could? He didn't snap the guy's head off for goodness sakes. What did you expect the kid to do, use harsh language?

It would be very cool if he was bad guy though.

SideshowDusty said:
Overall - I give it 2.5/5 stars.

SideshowDusty said:
... I liked and enjoyed the movie for the most part, don't get me wrong. Will probably see it again. Just didn't care for the allegory at all....

Wait, so 2.5/5 stars equels a movie you'll see again??

I hope we get to see Superman and Superboy fighting side by side in one of the future sequels. Maybe even put a cape on that dog from the farm and get some Krypto action going. :D

I honestly do think the Superman/Superboy team-up would be pretty cool though.

SideshowDusty said:
Yeah. I see pretty much all action/comic based movies at least twice. Even Underworld: Evolution and Daredevil :lol

What are you implying about Daredevil? :lol

SideshowDusty said:
Yeah. I see pretty much all action/comic based movies at least twice. Even Underworld: Evolution and Daredevil :lol
Have you seen the DD director's cut dvd? The producer that decided to release that chopped up, re-edited theatrical version should be shot.

I thought that the creation of Superman was influenced by the Chinese tale "Journey into the West" that was written in the 1500's. This story was a heavy influence on Dragonball Z as well, which DBZ and Superman definately have their similarities (sent to earth as a baby, developes abilities, dies and comes back to life).

Then again, maybe I drink too much beer.

I am fresh from the theatre and have tried to remain spoiler free as much as possible. Here are some thoughts, just from the cuff:

1) LOVED the opening credits, that was a classy move.

2) LOVED Routh as Kent, he pulled it off with creepy ease; esp the little smile that Reeve was known for.

3) I thought the effects were amazing, much better than any blockbusters as of late - esp ROTS.

I enjoyed the character development, but that is also where my gripes lie -

***QUOTE from Klauder:
The Kid
• This ruined the entire film for me.
• His first show of power and he kills a guy. I don't think Dad would approve
• What's with Lois letting Supes fly away? Why didn't she put her hand out and say "Five years, child support, what's up?". Or, "Hey, you going to help raise this kid?"
• Seriously, my fear is that the introduction of a son into Superman's life means that we will never be able to see Superman in a knock down drag out fight in any of the future sequals, as the writers and director will most likely be immersed in how to "realize" the relationship between Supes and his kid. Which will no doubt includ the son having a hard time controlling his powers, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I really was loving this movie until the revalation that the kid was Superman's kid. That really caused me to go back and pick the movie apart. I'm sure this was a concious decision made by Warner Bros. fat cats that wanted to have their influence on the Superman mythos. I'm sure it's only a matter of time that we are drowned in the flood of Superboy cartoons and series and god knows what else. That being said, I'm not looking forward to seeing the next Superman. ***

Exactly, not only were there WAY too many pans to the kid's face; how many did you count!? But this really ruins the entire superhero mistique; without making any moral judgments, in the DC universe, I don't remember all that many illegitimate children being born. Again, please do not be offended by that statement, but based on the ideal comic world -- this just seemed way out of place to me. Certainly it makes Superman more "mortal," he really loses a lot of his "super" status; some dad, right?!

I thought Spacey did great, agree with the comments on Kiddy - but they are goons, and they played goons well enough.

The movie was about 30 mins too long, the entire hospital scene was unnecessary, and I was just waiting for the old "kiss to revive" ploy; thankfully that was missing.

Good movie, not great; glad I had a free ticket.

You know, honestly, the movie had it's flaws... The kid and the lack of "Superman being Superman" scenes were what really held it back. Other than that I have no gripes. Routh was amazing as Superman and Clark, managing to channel Reeves so much that I smiled everytime he spoke. Especially the bit on the plane when he told the people he saved to not be afraid of flying..

"Afterall, statistically speaking... it still is the safest way to travel." :lol

Routh made me love the character all the more, so much so that I had to track down a retailer with a Hot Toys Supes still in stock.. :D I couldn't help it.

Lex had his moments when I thought he could have done better and it still seems like Bryan Singer was still trying to find his voice for telling the Superman story. But I still loved this movie. It's by far the best Superman movie since part II and it will hold a nice spot in my DVD collection when it comes out.

But even the old movies never went that deep into how Superman feels, or what he deals with when he is not Clark or saving the world. In this film, I think that for the first time I thought of how lonely it must be to be Superman. I mean, yeah, he has awesome powers and he can save people all over the world all day long... but being Clark is his "break", his time off... and his way of not being entirely alone. And even when he does this, he still runs off to save someone when he hears about it.

I think that Bryan is a wonderful director and I know that his next crack at Superman will be ever better than his first. X-Men pales in comparison to X2, because Bryan had a feel for the characters and got comfortable with the story, I think that the next Superman film will be no different...
:D

Back