Superman (July 11th, 2025)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, but his last comment was on the Anakin thread making fun of how people speak from certain geographical areas. While unfunny and obviously disrespectful, it’s crazy that would result in a perma ban of a long term member. An outdated stupid attempt at a joke should be either ignored or worst case, edited/removed by a moderator, imo. Not happy to see this.

Ah, I remember that. Something about waiting in 'line'.

Last edited:
What?
When did all this happen?

Oh well.

Back to Superman, I don't know... the more I read about this movie, the less interesting it seems. The fact that I don't think Gunn is very good doesn't help, of course.
I simply don't think I can muster the energy to invest in a new iteration of these characters. In the end it always has to be about the end of the world and terrible cataclysmic events that have zero impact. It just becomes numbing and you don't have any connection to what's happening on screen. It ends up being video game fare.
I think that is where the MCU's Blip and the Snyderverse's destruction of Metropolis, and how both events affect the protagonists and the world at large are so successful and "satisfying" from a dramatic point of view. There are consequences, terrible and lasting, even after the heroes "make everything right again".

I guess we'll have a better understanding when the first trailer hits. In who knows how many years :lol

Who knows, that might even work in favor of the movie, because I think superhero fatigue is real and it will hit the next few movies very hard. Matt Reeves had the right idea in making The Batman a low-key thriller type of movie. I think audiences will be more accepting of that.

I simply don't think I can muster the energy to invest in a new iteration of these characters. In the end it always has to be about the end of the world and terrible cataclysmic events that have zero impact. It just becomes numbing and you don't have any connection to what's happening on screen. It ends up being video game fare.
There are consequences, terrible and lasting, even after the heroes "make everything right again".
This is exactly how I feel. There are so many superheroes in modern cinema that an entire reboot to a controversial (yet admittedly unique) take on the entire DC already feels like just more shovelware that’s thrown out without any passion or care.

That isn’t to say that others shouldn’t be excited, reboots happen all the time and can be very successful, but investment in a franchise which has already left a bad taste in our mouth with casting drama is not something I can be excited about.

On another note, I can’t help myself but feeling like the third act of The Batman largely ruined the movie. Gotham entirely flooding seems like an afterthought of consequence especially when the last scene was Bat and Cat riding off on their cycles. Boringness of the theatre fight scenes aside, I’m expecting flooded Gotham to be integral to the sequel’s plot points, and I’ll happily eat my words if those consequences are actually lasting. But at the moment, I feel like it was just another one off movie where the bad guy gets locked up and a nothing about Gotham’s socially changes beside some accessible bathing.

Regardless of our individual opinions about Gunn, there’s no way that WB is going to suddenly let a director make movies how they want. There’s still going to be major company oversight and as much as I hope I’m wrong, there’s not going to be anything revolutionary with these movies. The problem might not even be a lack of passion or direction, it’s the monopolistic culture that’s going to primarily limit artistic liberties, and I don’t trust WB for a second that their approach will change after screwing over Snyder and Cavill. Not to mention whatever the hell happened with the team working on Batgirl.

I can’t help but assume that Gunn and WB are going to cook up a bunch of movies without any lasting impact or unique plot elements. Again, I hope I’m wrong. But this feels like yet another move to chase the money from the MCU pre-IW.

Speaking of lack of consequence, the longer it gets since I’ve seen Wandavision, the more I realise how much I disliked it.

The last episode and a half changed an ending which could have been a message from “Wanda is a complicated character and honestly a selfish POS but is still relatable with real feelings” to “If you’re different and special then feel free to **** over everyone else without consequences 😊

Really hoping that character arcs we see in Gunn’s films aren’t resolved within 20 minutes and written off as some major influence for a character’s growth.

Still shunning the ginger though..... :lol

Wonder how many voices are gonna actually complain that they changed him back to his original ethnicity.. :slap
Hopefully he's not a CIA agent who gets killed in the first 15 minutes this time.

It's the test costume for McG's Superman: Flyby.

6733972-img_20181222_230316.jpg

FfS-EX_WAAg7DFU.jpg

14724_2.jpg

Notice the Superman Returns S. It's interesting how designs evolve and get transferred from production to production..

Last edited:
Speaking of lack of consequence, the longer it gets since I’ve seen Wandavision, the more I realise how much I disliked it.
I was originally so much kinder to that show ... thought it was intriguing and failed to stick the landing. Given I remember almost nothing about it now and have since abandoned what became of the MCU ... I've now revised my opinion to admit that show was all style and no substance. It was just meta-nostalgia on overdrive.

Nor feeling this already- why must we have additional superheroes than just Supes in his own movie? Just gotta establish a whole universe of heroes again. Sigh.

IMHO, the best "sequel" to Man Of Steel would be to go back to Krypton.

What if Jor El cut a deal with Zod. (Instead of turning him down, which also showed the seeds of doubt in Zod's expression, if rebelling as such was the right decision) Clearly the Council was unwilling to evacuate the planet. What if Jor El agreed to join Zod, but only if they immediately evacuated the planet. There were still military forces loyal to the Council, but what if Zod and Jor El combined their influence to convince the rest of the military to pack up, as fast as possible, and try to load up as many essentially supplies and civilians as possible?

Why would Jor El do it? He might be enough of an "idealist" to be willing to sacrifice himself, but he'd have a chance to save his wife's life, and tons of other civilians from Krypton.

With enough people and equipment, basically a giant fleet of ships heading to the outposts, what if that was enough material and personnel to rebuild the outposts and rebuild Krypton 2.0. And there would be an eventual power struggle with Zod and Jor El, with Henry Cavill returning as Kal El, but not on Earth, but ends up like Charlie Sheen in Platoon, a "son" torn between his two fathers. Russell Crowe would have to lose some weight. And everyone would look a little bit older. But as a "multi-verse" story, it allows Cavill to return in an isolated sense. A different "timeline" where this Superman doesn't have to interfere with Gunn's reboot. And in this new "universe", Diane Lane and Kevin Costner can return as leaders of an Earth deep space expedition, that runs into the outpost. That's quite a bit of veteran acting firepower there - Costner, Shannon and Crowe.

Also the conditions can change. The Kryptonians are not super powered, but the humans become that way. Sure it would take some fudging with the premise, but it's an interesting flip IMHO. You can reuse the "world engine" as the core MacGuffin, etc, etc.

I will still hold, even now, that there is a great film about Krypton in the legacy Snyderverse somewhere. And within this isolated Krypton and alternate timeline, you can bring back other actors. If Ben Affleck can sober up enough, he can be like Weyland and fund the space mission. Bring back Colonel SVU as the military team leader for the expedition, etc, etc.

There was such rich overwhelming potential with Man Of Steel. It's not perfect, but Snyder got IMHO a lot of core things right.

Also Lois and Faoru would mud wrestle for Clark's affections. In zero G, of course.

Back