Sturtrup Custom Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Custom Vader

Guys you really leave me without words.... thanks for all this kind comments...and...
...agonistes86...yes, this is the H mask and dome! (I've to say that I have modified it a little :sick)
and....shockwave... action shot?... hey wait a moment...nice....like this? (sorry for the crappy picture and for the unfutzed "3 minuts" poses! And for the double light saber)

Attachments

• DSCF6012.jpg
    DSCF6012.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF6010.jpg
    DSCF6010.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF6003.jpg
    DSCF6003.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF6004.jpg
    DSCF6004.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF5993.jpg
    DSCF5993.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF5994.jpg
    DSCF5994.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF6016.jpg
    DSCF6016.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF6017.jpg
    DSCF6017.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 159

Guys you really leave me without words.... thanks for all this kind comments...and...
...agonistes86...yes, this is the H mask and dome! (I've to say that I have modified it a little :sick)
and....shockwave... action shot?... hey wait a moment...nice....like this? (sorry for the crappy picture and for the unfutzed "3 minuts" poses! And for the double light saber)

Yeah those are the money shots Sturtrup.

So cool thank you.

:clap
:goodpost:

Part of my proportion study... work in progress...

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 147

Part of my proportion study... work in progress...

Your figure is looking up a fraction too much for the sideways comparison lines to be correct. On the full size you can see more of the lower chin triangle than on your 1/6. Looks very nice though!

I am to working on my vader. I did get the hurricane mask. I think I might use the hot toys helmet

Mrs H said the HT dome is too large for a Kaiyodo based facemask. They are finishing a new custom dome that will work. The biggest dilemma has always been that even though Kaiyodo is still the best facemask sculpt and more correct size-wise, there is no dome that fits it 100% correctly - Hasbro too big, SSC DX too small, and HT slightly too big. The HT figure is too tall so the HT mask/dome is likely a hair too large overall (I have a HT Vader helmet on the way.)

Your figure is looking up a fraction too much for the sideways comparison lines to be correct. On the full size you can see more of the lower chin triangle than on your 1/6. Looks very nice though!

Thanks for your contribution TaliBane, I've noticed that difference and I've tried to do a more correct shot for the comparision but I think that the difference is in the neck. The grade of the nech part with the chin triangle is more accentuated in the full size than in the kaiyodo/Hurricane one.
You can notice the grade difference in this comparision too.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259975&stc=1&d=1461324243

By the way, I'm trying to do a good 1/6 rapresentation of anh Vader. I'm also trying to use parts of all the significant 1/6 released vader. I've to say that, even if I find a perfect 1/6 mask, I'd prefer to keep the Mr H one (that is perfect :wink1:). I'm stunned about all his work on vader and I'm proud to give him a tribute with my vader. So, all my work about the body proportion is only useful for the overall look. Screen accuracy is important but is not everything!

Thanks for your contribution TaliBane, I've noticed that difference and I've tried to do a more correct shot for the comparision but I think that the difference is in the neck. The grade of the nech part with the chin triangle is more accentuated in the full size than in the kaiyodo/Hurricane one.
You can notice the grade difference in this comparision too.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259975&stc=1&d=1461324243

By the way, I'm trying to do a good 1/6 rapresentation of anh Vader. I'm also trying to use parts of all the significant 1/6 released vader. I've to say that, even if I find a perfect 1/6 mask, I'd prefer to keep the Mr H one (that is perfect :wink1:). I'm stunned about all his work on vader and I'm proud to give him a tribute with my vader. So, all my work about the body proportion is only useful for the overall look. Screen accuracy is important but is not everything!

Yeah, you're right on the neck. Keep in mind your full size reference is not the screen used costume/helmet, but a (very, very nice) fan made one.

Yeah, you're right on the neck. Keep in mind your full size reference is not the screen used costume/helmet, but a (very, very nice) fan made one.

Gino's Vader is incredible! I think he has captured the essence of vader and that he has done a very very screen accurate costume/helmet. But there are minor issues, this is inevitable. I've decided to use his vader as reference for the same reason that I've decided to use the hurricane mask! I love the gino's work on lifesize vader and I love to have something of that work in my vader. I'm too sentimental, I know it!

Vader looks awesome mate, top notch work.

Ron

Thnks Ron! And thanks to all the kind comment about my vader!

Mrs H said the HT dome is too large for a Kaiyodo based facemask. They are finishing a new custom dome that will work. The biggest dilemma has always been that even though Kaiyodo is still the best facemask sculpt and more correct size-wise, there is no dome that fits it 100% correctly - Hasbro too big, SSC DX too small, and HT slightly too big. The HT figure is too tall so the HT mask/dome is likely a hair too large overall (I have a HT Vader helmet on the way.)

sorry to hijack your thread sturtrup. yeah it might be a little big but I like it I think it looks good with his mask he made for me last year IMG_0162.jpg

Thanks for posting this shot general, very interesting to see ht dome on the H mask! But I've to be honest. It looks very weird! Ht dome looks enormous.

sorry to hijack your thread sturtrup. yeah it might be a little big but I like it I think it looks good with his mask he made for me last year View attachment 262329

So that's the HT dome on a Hurricane facemask?

Thanks for posting this shot general, very interesting to see ht dome on the H mask! But I've to be honest. It looks very weird! Ht dome looks enormous.

Well, from what Mrs H was saying, the Kaiyodo (though even it has some inaccuracies, as you've pointed out) is perfectly sized in terms of the 1:1 mask shrunken down to 1/6, while the HT is a bit oversized, so makes sense the dome would be too large.

The HT figure overall is too tall by at least a 1/2" and as people realized with the SSC ANH Vader (which was WAY too tall - by at least an inch) you can shrink the height, but the parts - helmet/dome included - are scaled for that taller height so you have all parts maybe 5-10% too large on the HT Vader.

Has anyone posted a side-by-side of the Kaiyodo and HT - facemasks and domes?

hot toys mask looks huge next to the kaiyodo. I think that was the reason the helmet looks over sized as well

Interesting. When my HT helmet arrives, I'll post some side-by-sides with the Kaiyodo.

When I received the Hurricane Vader helmet (and also the Kaiyodo kit too) to be honest, I thought they looked too small, and still do from time to time. It's rare you see the helmets (like stormie and Vader, Fett and Vader, X-Wing helmet and stormie helmet) close enough together in the movies to really judge relative scale.

It's really frustrating - I've got everything ready to go, pretty much all the quality Vader parts I need for 2 (maybe 3) Vaders, but I have these nagging concerns that the HT helmet is a little too large and the Kaiyodo/Hurricane just a little too small. But I don't know.:gah::lol

yeah that`s the hard part. I do like the mix the Kaiyodo and the hot toys helmet. it looks great in person but on camera it looks distorted. you will have to judge your self once you get your Kaiyodo and hot toys darth vader helmet

When I received the Hurricane Vader helmet I thought it looked too small too, but after a lot of comparison I've noticed that was the whole figure to be too big! So I've started to reduce a bit all that I can reduce. Now I'm planning to do a custom chest armour (or mod the ht one) and to resew the ht suit to reduce it too.

Back