Still a chance for a 1/6 Scale complete Fellowship???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enlighten me, what was there plan with this line??

Drag it out for 20 years, offer crappy characters right off the bat, kill any interest by releasing two figs a year with crappy paint apps, no Gimli, under estimate the cost involved, do 2 hobbits, not all 4, offer no cool baddies???

Which one of those were in the PLANS?

I missed that meeting so I don't have the specifics. :lol

I'm sure the plan was to make as many of the characters as possible and have the line last as long as possible. Sadly, it was hard to get the proper materials to make these figures without having to charge even higher prices, paint issue, pacing issues, and a reluctance by some buyers, etc. All those things kind of killed any plan. Something doesn't sell you don't or working you don't keep tossing money at it to fix it.

We could only hope a line last twenty years. That would be fine by me. As far as offer crappy characters I had no problem with the ones they offered. If you mean Faramir well many of us wanted him. Going back to the original statue line we had been asking for him. Not doing a bad guy early in there probably hurt things but other than that I liked what we got.

So like I said what happened I'm sure wasn't part of their plan. Sometimes things just don't work out as one would hope. I know SS loves LOTR and it sucks for them that the 1:6th line didn't go well.

I missed that meeting so I don't have the specifics. :lol

I'm sure the plan was to make as many of the characters as possible and have the line last as long as possible. Sadly, it was hard to get the proper materials to make these figures without having to charge even higher prices, paint issue, pacing issues, and a reluctance by some buyers, etc. All those things kind of killed any plan. Something doesn't sell you don't or working you don't keep tossing money at it to fix it.

We could only hope a line last twenty years. That would be fine by me. As far as offer crappy characters I had no problem with the ones they offered. If you mean Faramir well many of us wanted him. Going back to the original statue line we had been asking for him. Not doing a bad guy early in there probably hurt things but other than that I liked what we got.

So like I said what happened I'm sure wasn't part of their plan. Sometimes things just don't work out as one would hope. I know SS loves LOTR and it sucks for them that the 1:6th line didn't go well.

Sounds like the same plans they currently have for G.I. Joe. :exactly:

Sadly, it was hard to get the proper materials to make these figures without having to charge even higher prices, paint issue, pacing issues, and a reluctance by some buyers, etc.

I know you're not naive enough to believe that one didn't cause the other.

I do agree on Faramir. If they'd gone deeper into the license, as I'm sure was their intent when he was released, he'd be a non-issue. The fact that they released him without finishing at least the Fellowship is what's made him blame fodder. I do think it's a shame though, that for a line they supposedly loved so much, they couldn't squeeze out a measly three more figures with more reasonable edition sizes. I'm certain those of us who were diehards would've easily forked out a higher price to complete the Fellowship.

Sounds like the same plans they currently have for G.I. Joe. :exactly:

Nope not even in the same ballpark.

I know you're not naive enough to believe that one didn't cause the other.

They're all tied together is what I'm saying. All of them caused issues with the line but its not what I'm sure SS planned on happening.

I do agree on Faramir. If they'd gone deeper into the license, as I'm sure was their intent when he was released, he'd be a non-issue. The fact that they released him without finishing at least the Fellowship is what's made him blame fodder. I do think it's a shame though, that for a line they supposedly loved so much, they couldn't squeeze out a measly three more figures with more reasonable edition sizes. I'm certain those of us who were diehards would've easily forked out a higher price to complete the Fellowship.

Well, yeah if they had gotten further into the line nobody would care. The thing is with him is that many of us as short lived as this line was are glad he got made. I think if you're a fan of LOTR you should be glad. I agree if they would have made those last three I'd have paid HT prices to get them.

They're all tied together is what I'm saying. All of them caused issues with the line but its not what I'm sure SS planned on happening.

No, but it was chicken____ to entirely blame us collectors for the line's demise.

Well, yeah if they had gotten further into the line nobody would care. The thing is with him is that many of us as short lived as this line was are glad he got made. I think if you're a fan of LOTR you should be glad. I agree if they would have made those last three I'd have paid HT prices to get them.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly::goodpost:

I've never seen Sideshow say it was the fans fault for the line not working out.

Q&A but I'm not looking it up. Seems like it was years ago. :lol They basically said the line was put "on hold" while they re-evaluate it due to lack of collector interest with collectors' preferences being mainly more for sculpted pieces.

I agree if they would have made those last three I'd have paid HT prices to get them.

Idk, I'd pay HT price for Gimli no question, but merry and pippin...I'd have to think that one over...I love the books and movies but I can't say that I took much interest in them. but I'd most likely still get them to at least complete the set just not right away.
waaait...
who am I kidding, just to see another 1:6 LOTR fig you be great and instant buy...if only SS really knew :monkey2

Dude, we all know why that is. There is like 10 valid reasons why they didnt sell all of which are SS's fault

Apparently they also said that if someone gets Frodo and Sam tattooed on their ass cheeks, they will continue the line, any takers?? :monkey1
Agreed. Funny how Hot Toys, Dragon, bbi, Soldier Story, DID miraculously found manufacturers whose paint apps and sculpt for the most part match the prototype but SST manufacturer for some reason can't. Throw in the slow crawl release schedule and the line was doomed to fail.

Q&A but I'm not looking it up. Seems like it was years ago. :lol They basically said the line was put "on hold" while they re-evaluate it due to lack of collector interest with collectors' preferences being mainly more for sculpted pieces.

Well, they're right as far as LOTR fans go it seems. Then you get into that some fans are even more particular that it must be from "x" company. The line didn't sell well for some of the reasons I said above but also despite the line really having some nice figures it didn't get much interest it seemed. The line didn't move like SW so fans and their 20 second attention span moved on.

From an interview on Cool Toy Review with Brock Otterback from SS:

So all you who want these, lets get a petition started, lets get macaroni Gimili made, get your kids to draw Merry and Pippin, sounds like it's up to us to keep pounding on SS to get these made...

Whole CTR interview here:

https://cooltoyreview.com/Sideshow_Collectibles_Five_Years_After.asp

i for one don't appreciate the way brock comments on this line. is he trying to tick people off with his smart macaroni and children drawings comments? i have purchased the first seven, six from the fellowship and faramir, and feel if the line does not get finished that i have an incomplete collection.

sideshow now seems to have perfected the short body required for two hobbits and a dwarf, so what's the problem? they churn out 10 times as many products than the nearest manufacturer. so MAKE IT HAPPEN brock!

Well, they're right as far as LOTR fans go it seems. Then you get into that some fans are even more particular that it must be from "x" company. The line didn't sell well for some of the reasons I said above but also despite the line really having some nice figures it didn't get much interest it seemed. The line didn't move like SW so fans and their 20 second attention span moved on.

Well, then they should've played it better. They, themselves are responsible for losing a fat chunk of collectors who were buying the 12" figures. I still think it's chicken____ to blame the customers for moving on when you're failing at keeping interest in a line because you're producing figures slower than old people ____.

He's just being funny. Ya gotta know the guy a bit to get the humor I suppose. :lol

Condescending =/= funny. :dunno

I don't get why they didn't sell though, b/c when I started collecting these was probably maybe a year before the hobbits came out and all the other figures were sold out completely with a few on "waitlist list" so I'm a bit confused there as to why they everyone's or SS really is saying they didn't sell? I had to pay more than original price for Boromir when I finally found him

I don't get why they didn't sell though, b/c when I started collecting these was probably maybe a year before the hobbits came out and all the other figures were sold out completely with a few on "waitlist list" so I'm a bit confused there as to why they everyone's or SS really is saying they didn't sell? I had to pay more than original price for Boromir when I finally found him

There was a huge gap between Faramir and Gandalf, over a year. Granted, he was well worth the wait with the new casting technique, but that's a ridiculous gap.

Well, then they should've played it better. They, themselves are responsible for losing a fat chunk of collectors who were buying the 12" figures. I still think it's chicken____ to blame the customers for moving on when you're failing at keeping interest in a line because you're producing figures slower than old people ____.

:exactly::goodpost:

I dont see how anyone can hang any of this on the fans... SS needs to step up and take the blame for the fallen 1/6 lines

I don't know how you can totally plan for folks who can't pay attention very long. These do take a bit of time to make and of course some issues out of their control.

These figures where really difficult to make. Getting the right materials to properly get them to us so they could be the best they could be. I'd rather them take the time to get it right. That kind of thing is what lead to the pacing issues but I guess for me I was willing to be loyal and give them time to get things going for each figure.

So I can't blame a company for dropping something if its not making money. If the fans aren't gonna support it I wouldn't make it either.

I don't think he was being that way at all.

i guess i missed it the josh. next, he'll be making fun of the homeless haitians and the gulf oil disaster. :slap

Oh come on now. Thats being a bit dramatic isn't it? :slap

I don't know how you can totally plan for folks who can't pay attention very long. These do take a bit of time to make and of course some issues out of their control.

These figures where really difficult to make. Getting the right materials to properly get them to us so they could be the best they could be. I'd rather them take the time to get it right. That kind of thing is what lead to the pacing issues but I guess for me I was willing to be loyal and give them time to get things going for each figure.

So I can't blame a company for dropping something if its not making money. If the fans aren't gonna support it I wouldn't make it either.

I don't think he was being that way at all.

Oh come on now. Thats being a bit dramatic isn't it? :slap

Oh no, toys are just as impotant. If not more. :lol

Back