Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like WoW, the cartoony graphics will keep the game accessible to people without top of the line PCs and still look fairly attractive.

This will also allow it to be accessible on concoles. Although FFXI was on PS2 and it had high end graphics so putting one on the PS3 or 360 should be cake.

This will also allow it to be accessible on concoles. Although FFXI was on PS2 and it had high end graphics so putting one on the PS3 or 360 should be cake.

Graphics aren't really the issue for playing on consoles, the main problem is getting online to work smoothly with lots of players. Plus if they want to have cross-platform compatibility then they'll have a lot more work to do.

Graphics aren't really the issue for playing on consoles, the main problem is getting online to work smoothly with lots of players. Plus if they want to have cross-platform compatibility then they'll have a lot more work to do.

They did it for FFXI, players on PC, 360 and PS2/3 all play on the same servers. Bioware has the specs on all 4 platforms so it is more than doable to make this cross platform.

Badmoon.... you may not like it now but I can see you warming up to it down the line if they do it right.

They did it for FFXI, players on PC, 360 and PS2/3 all play on the same servers. Bioware has the specs on all 4 platforms so it is more than doable to make this cross platform.

Badmoon.... you may not like it now but I can see you warming up to it down the line if they do it right.

Honestly I tried many MMO's. Even Galaxies. Just not my thing. I am really upset that they choose this path. I like more traditional RPG's. The MMO's are just not a good fit for me.

It's a different company, whatever they have to do to make it work with lots of players across different platforms will have to be developed by Bioware, and that's a lot of development considering what goes into their games already without any multiplayer options.

It's a different company, whatever they have to do to make it work with lots of players across different platforms will have to be developed by Bioware, and that's a lot of development considering what goes into their games already without any multiplayer options.

That is my point if Square Enix can do it then Bioware can do it. The framework is already there. It's tried and true, so Bioware can't use the excuse that it is to difficult to develop the game for cross platform play. Even if it is an Xbox exclusive, Windows Live is up and running so there is no reason this can't be done.

Heard that its going to be bigger than all the games bioware have put out so far.

Never played a MMO and really havent got any intrest in sitting in front of the PC fro hours.

Honestly I tried many MMO's. Even Galaxies. Just not my thing. I am really upset that they choose this path. I like more traditional RPG's. The MMO's are just not a good fit for me.

Hope is not all lost. Obsidian Entertainment (the dev team responsible for KOTOR 2) might still take the reigns on another KOTOR game. This is just being optimistic, but still.

The Old Republic MMO was probably the most logical step for Bioware, who has done pretty much everything they could for single player RPGs. However, I loved Mass Effect, I hope they do another.

Hope is not all lost. Obsidian Entertainment (the dev team responsible for KOTOR 2) might still take the reigns on another KOTOR game. This is just being optimistic, but still.

The Old Republic MMO was probably the most logical step for Bioware, who has done pretty much everything they could for single player RPGs. However, I loved Mass Effect, I hope they do another.

I hope so on both accounts! :rock

Well, they've got two studios, the one in Austin is working on the SWTOR MMO, then the one in Canada did Mass Effect and is still working on Dragon Age, so they should have enough people to work on Mass Effect 2 and they've probably started a long time ago.

Well, they've got two studios, the one in Austin is working on the SWTOR MMO, then the one in Canada did Mass Effect and is still working on Dragon Age, so they should have enough people to work on Mass Effect 2 and they've probably started a long time ago.

Yes, that's right. From what I read in an interview a while ago with a designer working on Dragon Age (can't remember his name), they were putting all their resources into that game, so ME2 would be put on the back burner. I'm sure they've started on pre-production and concept work, but I haven't seen anything of it. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any guesses as to when launch will be? I know it will be a while, but this news just lit a fire under my ass and i already can't wait. I had a ball the first few years with SWG and this is gonna stomp it.

Does anyone have any guesses as to when launch will be? I know it will be a while, but this news just lit a fire under my ass and i already can't wait. I had a ball the first few years with SWG and this is gonna stomp it.

Originally the game was slated to be released in 2009, but with Bioware being busy with other projects, the chances of SW:TOR releasing next year is fairly slim. I wouldn't hold my breath.

From the Gamespot article in my original post:

Launch date TBA, console versions TBD
Last week, Dragon Age was confirmed as coming to the PC early next year and to the 360 and PS3 later that holiday season, casting The Old Republic's 2009 target window into doubt. Indeed, LucasArts and BioWare have now backed away from the previously attributed launch window, which was first proffered in a 2007 Information Week interview.

Back