Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome story Khev!
Very happy for you man, both for the relationship and the experience of introducing her to SW. :inlove

I can't imagine exposing a grown woman to TPM and then AOTC as her first experiences of SW and then having any hope of her wanting to continue from there, lol. (See Mad Old Lu's post for exactly what I'm talking about.) ;)

*Sigh* Further evidence SW is for little boys (in spirit if not in body!)

Imagine if your first JAWS viewing was Jaws 4.

True, you really need to see the earlier instalments to fully grasp Vengeance's motivation!

Good to hear, Khev. I knew she'd like ESB. Now... its the rest that will challenge her. :lol

Live these next few days or weeks with a grand smile on your face, knowing she wants more... because after Jedi, and definitely after TPM, I doubt she'll get much further and she'll never have that same joy again when you mention "Star Wars".

Imagine if your first JAWS viewing was Jaws 4.

Wouldn't that be considered cruel and unusual punishment. That's illegal or should be Sir.

I figure TCW and Mando discussions can stay in their own threads.

So last night I had a rare opportunity to introduce an adult to SW for the first time. I've been dating a gal for close to 6 months now who had never watched a single SW movie ever. She was born in 82, graduated high school in 2000, and told me that when her entire high school went insane with excitement over the upcoming release of "a new SW movie" (TPM obviously) she thought that everybody's behavior was so silly that she refused to see the movie on principle (phew, dodged a bullet there!) and never gave the series a chance since, lol.

She mentioned all that early on in our dating after visiting my house and seeing my framed posters, memorabilia, and whatnot.

So last night was the big night where I sit her down and pop in 4K77.

It was very interesting to watch someone watch SW for the first time completely cold with the sole (albeit quite significant) exception of her being familiar with "Luke I am your father" and the fact that it was Darth Vader who said it. But other than that she knew nothing. Didn't know who R2 and 3PO were, didn't know who Princess Leia was. Or Chewbacca or Han freaking Solo. She knew Luke and Vader and that's it. And to my pleasant surprise she got quite enjoyed it, even with the dated effects and slower pace of the first third of the movie (droids walking around the desert, Luke on the farm, etc.)

About halfway in I told her "just so you know you're scoring major points with me right now" to which she replied "hey I'm actually getting pretty sucked in, I like it!" :) Though she did say "but if you and I have kids together let's not name any of them after fictional characters okay" (knowing that my son is named Luke, lol.)

Hearing her reactions to certain things did remind me of a number of oddities that I've long taken for granted (like how every other alien's face looks like genitilia or anuses, lol.) But she found it all to be quite exciting, funny, and intense, all in the right places. It was nice to see things like the Jawas and trash compactor being kind of freaky to brand new eyes. Han did come across as a bit of a coward to her until he came back at the end. And speaking of that she had no idea what was going on in that particular moment, lol. And I do remember way back when I saw SW for the first time as a kid being a bit confused as to why the TIE Fighter next to Vader suddenly disintegrated while Vader was firing at Luke.

For the hundred times I've seen SW since my eye always gravitates toward that TIE as I anticipate it blowing up. But the way that shot is staged for a new person your eye wants to fixate on Vader and the lasers coming from his ship. Han's laser blast is quite easy to miss making it seem like something quite bizarre happened instead. I was expecting her to stand up and cheer when Han saved the day only to have her say "What just happened? Did Luke use the Force? What is going on???" lol

Ah well. Maybe she'll appreciate that moment more on the next viewing, lol. But when all was said and done I got an "okay that was good. I get it now" from her so tonight we'll be catching Empire on the big screen before theaters go away forever. :)

Yeah but does she like JAWS.

This woman have deprived herself of an entire pop culture generation. Is she a nun?

Thankfully no. :lol

But she was born in the USSR and emigrated with her family to the US at age 7 in 1989 so she missed a LOT in the way of US pop culture at that time. Plus she's a therapist who counsels war vets with PTSD. Hearing horror story after horror story day in day out has caused her to seek out entertainment of much lighter subject matter than the films that we all gravitate to.

:lol :lol

It is kind of fun to tell her "hey when you were a little girl we were all scared that you guys would come parachute down and shoot up our high schools," lol.

Thankfully no. :lol

But she was born in the USSR and emigrated with her family to the US at age 7 in 1989 so she missed a LOT in the way of US pop culture at that time. Plus she's a therapist who counsels war vets with PTSD. Hearing horror story after horror story day in day out has caused her to seek out entertainment of much lighter subject matter than the films that we all gravitate to.

Interesting. Perhaps she can deal with your dual personalities regarding doomcock. Maybe your not dating her at all. Maybe doomcock is

Interesting. Perhaps she can deal with your dual personalities regarding doomcock. Maybe your not dating her at all. Maybe doomcock is

What if she's Doomcock?

(Sorry Khev. Congrats. Err...I think.)

(I also don't really know who or what Doomcock is beyond it's some internet toxic fan thing. That's about as much as I care to know.)

It is kind of fun to tell her "hey when you were a little girl we were all scared that you guys would come parachute down and shoot up our high schools," lol.

And she says, in total sexy Russian accent: Yez darling, let me makes you feelz bedda.

You are living detente. So many fantasies I see being reenacted...

What if she's Doomcock?

(Sorry Khev. Congrats. Err...I think.)

(I also don't really know who or what Doomcock is beyond it's some internet toxic fan thing. That's about as much as I care to know.)

It?s an inside joke in the star wars thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back