Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Khev needs to be careful AOTC is known to have destroyed many relationships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed haha. Even I, a prequel trilogy lover, had the sense not to show my girlfriend (now wife) the PT. Just the OT and even then some of Jedi is a bit embarrassing and certainly not cool.

Khev get all the movies done now done that you ever want to reference / talk about because the window will soon close. I am doomed to forever quote the PT and for nobody in my house to chuckle and respect my witty word play. One day my son will be old enough to watch the PT and OT then we will rule the quotes as father and son.

My own experiments with grown up first time Star Wars watchers suggest that Rogue One, the Force Awakens and Rise of Palpatine seem to play fairly well. The Last Jedi got a lot of 'sometimes I don't get why you like this stuff' and the Mandalorian seems to be a bit too hardcore space cowboy for grownup casuals (lots of looking at phone instead).

Good luck Khev and may the force be with you.

Agreed haha. Even I, a prequel trilogy lover, had the sense not to show my girlfriend (now wife) the PT.

Ha!

4hivib.jpg

;)

Okay so I took the GF to see ESB on the big screen last night, which as I mentioned before was her first time ever seeing it.

Honestly it was one of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had watching it, lol. For close to 80% of the movie she was in full high anxiety, edge of her seat "why did you take me to this/why are we watching this/can I please do online shopping on my phone/tell me when it's over" mode. She was NOT ready for the tonal shift from SW to say the least, lol. From the opening Wampa attack all the way to the hyperdrive STILL not working five minutes before the movie ended she was a nervous wreck. I never knew that Boba Fett shooting at Luke Skywalker was a "jump scare" until now. :lol But that's how freaking nervous she was. When Han's tauntaun keeled over it was okay those two are DEAD, when R2 got swallowed by the bog monster okay he's DEAD when 3PO got blasted okay him now too. She definitely bought into the stakes, lol. The only thing that seemingly kept her going was Han's endlessly relaxed and casual attitude about all the crap that they were going through.

So of course for a good part of the movie I'm thinking "and thus the beginning and end of sharing my love of SW with HER" (lol) until...right around the carbon freezing chamber sequence. Then it all just freaking *clicked.* :yess: She was so into it, so into the showdown between Luke and Vader, and when it was all over she then asked how long of a gap there originally was between films and repeatedly said "ohhhh THAT's why people would form crowds and camp out for these. NOW I get it. Yeah these really suck you in don't they."

Though it was still funny to be watching both SW and ESB with someone who was struggling to keep up with all the characters the way we first were with the likes of "Cassian Andor" and "Chirrut Imwe" a few years back.

This was a literal exchange while the movie was playing:

Ben: That boy is our last hope.

Yoda: No, there is another.

Her: Another? Who???

Me: (playing coy) Someone else...

Her: Who????? Hans?

Me: Hans? Um he isn't German. *chuckle*

Her: Vaughn? What's his name?

Me: Han. And no it's not him.

Her: The black guy??

Me: lol, no not him either.

Her: The princess!

Me: Sigh, yes, she's the other.

Her: Oh no, does that mean Luke's going to switch sides???

Me: We'll just have to see.

Her: Oh no...

Heh heh, fun stuff. I did say to her hey if you want to call it quits on SW it's cool I won't make you watch any more and she said no that she wanted to keep going so we'll just have to see how this plays out. I don't think we'll jump into ROTJ anytime soon, I'll let the experience of the first two films simmer for a bit. :)

Last edited:
Way to go Khev! Is that why you went MIA for a while, you actually "got a life"? ;)

Ha ha, I suppose that combined with the fact that there just hasn't been much new to talk about due to COVID. But yeah 2020 hasn't been all bad for me at least. ;)

May your new relationship go full bloom (and may PT, OT and ST fans continue to be united by their love of SW!)

I know there are good reasons to start with the OT, but episodic order may have been more telling - since that's probably what most "newbies" would do.

I can't imagine exposing a grown woman to TPM and then AOTC as her first experiences of SW and then having any hope of her wanting to continue from there, lol. (See Mad Old Lu's post for exactly what I'm talking about.) ;)

Meanwhile, in Ireland, a young a-dev was one of those dorks bringing the official Star Wars magazine into school with all the latest pics from TPM. I remember me and my friends drawing suspicion from the vice-principal in the cafeteria - a group of teenage lads passing around magazines, you can guess what he first suspected. Anyway he had a look and I remember him asking ''isn't Star Wars for kids?'' to which I protested ''No, nono, no it's not''.....TPM ends up being arguably the most childish Star Wars film of the lot :lol

Well since this is the catch-all Saga thread what *was* you and your buddies initial reaction to TPM? I'm sure you've posted it at some point over the years but nothing immediately comes to mind.

Khev get all the movies done now done that you ever want to reference / talk about because the window will soon close. I am doomed to forever quote the PT and for nobody in my house to chuckle and respect my witty word play. One day my son will be old enough to watch the PT and OT then we will rule the quotes as father and son.

My own experiments with grown up first time Star Wars watchers suggest that Rogue One, the Force Awakens and Rise of Palpatine seem to play fairly well. The Last Jedi got a lot of 'sometimes I don't get why you like this stuff' and the Mandalorian seems to be a bit too hardcore space cowboy for grownup casuals (lots of looking at phone instead).

Good luck Khev and may the force be with you.

My son (10 years old) and I spent a good part of the summer going through the PT as well as the entire TCW series. Even pausing between AOTC and ROTS to watch the entire show save for the last three episodes. We paused TCW when there were three episodes to go, watched ROTS, and then immediately watched the final three to see Ahsoka dealing with Order 66 and the time jump to Vader and the Snowtroopers. I must say that it was a pretty damn satisfying experience when all was said and done.

As an ST lover I'm so glad that both my kids were the perfect age to experience an entire new trilogy on the big screen with the rest of the world.

Hahaha :rotfl Perfect.

:lol :yess:

It took a little time for disappointment to set in for TPM, but I remember loving the Naboo fighters and everyone lost their damn minds over Darth Maul, his Force-push powers, and the Duel of the Fates. My girlfriend of the time was a big SW fan and into it ...she was horrified when Maul skewered Bye Gone Jinn.

Good to hear, Khev. I knew she'd like ESB. Now... its the rest that will challenge her. :lol

Live these next few days or weeks with a grand smile on your face, knowing she wants more... because after Jedi, and definitely after TPM, I doubt she'll get much further and she'll never have that same joy again when you mention "Star Wars".

I can't imagine exposing a grown woman to TPM and then AOTC as her first experiences of SW and then having any hope of her wanting to continue from there

Yeah, starting in order for anyone adult or even kids over 17 seems like instant death for the rest.

Imagine if your first JAWS viewing was Jaws 4.

Might as well just rename this Khev's Star Wars thread, with PT bashing.

I agree this should be Khev's own thread.

But I totally disagree on the bashing. I bet you his new girl will not like the PT. That's not bashing. That's an educated opinion. Do you really -- truly -- think she'll like it?

I agree this should be Khev's own thread.

But I totally disagree on the bashing. I bet you his new girl will not like the PT. That's not bashing. That's an educated opinion. Do you really -- truly -- think she'll like it?

Probably not, because Khev probably already influenced her opinion on it.

I'm gonna start my own Star Wars thread.

Ducky's Dagobah Dive - PT/OT/EU Discussion Thread

Well since this is the catch-all Saga thread what *was* you and your buddies initial reaction to TPM? I'm sure you've posted it at some point over the years but nothing immediately comes to mind.

I saw it with my brothers actually, can't remember what my friends thought of it, lost touch with the school friends over the years. Anyway, like many fans, I allowed Darth Maul and the 3-way lightsaber battle to compensate for a lot. Alas the stuff I didn't like just kept niggling away and before long I felt really let down by it.

This would prove to be a pattern with AOTC and ROTS.

In the interest of balance for those sensitive to PT-criticism, I don't even care to contemplate which of the ST I think is the least crap. That's simply how irrelevant they are to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back