STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marked the date on my calendar. Gotta be sure not to schedule anything else on the day when I must stay at home to mock all of those going to this.

I won't even drive by a theater showing TPM. They could show it in 5D and it would still suck. :)

I'm really curious if there will be any special edition style tweaks. I guess we may know more with the Blu-ray release. I have always felt that TPM would have been much better if we had seen just how bad things were on Naboo under the Trade Federation occupation. It would have created more of a sense of urgency and that what was going on was a real emergency. Because you see so little of that it just didn't seem like the characters were in much of a hurry to get things done.

Are you sure that is a good idea? I think the "tweaks" on the first three hurt more than helped. The only part that was changed that i care for was the end of ROTJ where they show all the different worlds celebrating after the emperor dies... News travels fast in that galaxy I guess, but it just kind of tied everything together there at the end. The only way tweaks would work in TPM is if they cut all the jar jar scenes and Darth Maul never dies.

(Han shot first and he definitely didn't step on Jabba's tail at Mos Eisley)

https://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/03/star-wars-3-d-release/

A long time ago (last September), Lucasfilm announced plans to begin re-releasing the Star Wars movies in 3-D, starting with The Phantom Menace. Today, 20th Century Fox announced that the movie will be released on Feb. 10, 2012.

To paraphrase Darth Vader – will this be a day long remembered?

None of the Star Wars movies were shot in 3-D, so they are undergoing a conversion overseen by Industrial Light & Magic and digital pioneer, John Knoll, who is also the co-creator of PhotoShop. During the original announcement, Lucasfilm spokeswoman Lynne Hale said they were holding back on selecting a specific date because they wanted to provide enough time to do the 3-D reprocessing properly and not rush to meet an artificial deadline.

Though the prequels were shot more recently than the original Star Wars trilogy, they include many more complicated visual effects, which makes converting them much trickier, Knoll told USA Today in September. “There are thousands and thousands of flying images,” he says. “But the nice thing about stereo (visuals) is you get this wonderful immersive effect if it’s done right.”

Knoll said George Lucas wasn’t planning on changing anything else about the films, as he did in the ’90s when the original trilogy was re-released in theaters with upgraded special effects and a controversial Greed0-shoots-first story alteration.

I'll happily go see it. Sure I like the original movies better. It's what I grew up on. I don't mind the prequels. Just don't give me any of that Expanded Universe crap. It puts Star Wars fans on the same level as Trekkies with sheer geekiness.

I'll happily go see it. Sure I like the original movies better. It's what I grew up on. I don't mind the prequels. Just don't give me any of that Expanded Universe crap. It puts Star Wars fans on the same level as Trekkies with sheer geekiness.

:ohbfrank: Star Wars fanbois will never be as awesome as Trekkies.

I'm doubting I'll go see it. I didn't care for it much the first time around. They're nice to look at, but......there's just too much about it that I don't care for. My mom might want to see it, and if she insists, I'll take her.

I'll definitely be going to see it... as others have said its SW on the big screen so you gotta check it out.

Still more looking forward to the OT releases, even though I think the whole 3D thing is pretty f'n dumb :lol

i'm a big fan of Phantom Menace. I dare say its better than ROTS.

Can't wait to see it.

There are fantastic parts of the prequels and horrendous parts and that is true for all three. I'll be definitely looking forward to the good parts like the duel on Naboo for example in 3-D and rolling my eyes at the bad but I'll be doing that for AOTC and definitely for ROTS as well. The great thing is that my son will be perfect age by the time ANH rolls around and that is where it'll be golden.

I'm a hater. You will not see me there. Not a big fan of 3D. Even if it is SW. Have fun everyone.

Back