Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was this episode where Voyager Paris was Wesley's classmate in the academy but as a different character. I wished so much they were the same character.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah that was one episode I had in mind. Good episode for Picard too as I recall.

Yep apparently Nick Locarno (that was the name of the Tom Paris character in the Next Generation episode) was going to be Tom Paris for Voyager and then they realized that they would have to pay royalties to the writer of that episode throughout Voyager's run so they simply renamed the character to get around it.

That's a bummer. Would have been a nice link to TNG

Yeah that was one episode I had in mind. Good episode for Picard too as I recall.

That's a bummer. Would have been a nice link to TNG

Yep...it's always bugged me as a real missed opportunity!

Yep apparently Nick Locarno (that was the name of the Tom Paris character in the Next Generation episode) was going to be Tom Paris for Voyager and then they realized that they would have to pay royalties to the writer of that episode throughout Voyager's run so they simply renamed the character to get around it.
Oh, so this was the reason. I was wondering 'why not' for many years.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

That episode (Discovery S2E01) made me forget that I was warming to the show in the second half of the first season. I had to go back a few pages and remind myself.

I was meh about everything in this new one and I fear I'm not going to like the Spock connection at all. From the voice recording alone the new guy sounds nothing like Nimoy. At least Quinto made some sort of attempt to follow Nimoy's intonation. That and the fact it's a retcon, Nimoy Spock never mentioning having a step-sister called Michael Burnham etc etc.

Well, episode I is a bit early in the season to quit so I'll keep looking.

That episode (Discovery S2E01) made me forget that I was warming to the show in the second half of the first season. I had to go back a few pages and remind myself.

I was meh about everything in this new one and I fear I'm not going to like the Spock connection at all. From the voice recording alone the new guy sounds nothing like Nimoy. At least Quinto made some sort of attempt to follow Nimoy's intonation. That and the fact it's a retcon, Nimoy Spock never mentioning having a step-sister called Michael Burnham etc etc.

Well, episode I is a bit early in the season to quit so I'll keep looking.

In defense of Spock never mentioning his step sister...in Journey to Babel when Spock's parents are introduced...Bones and Kirk are clearly anxious about meeting Sarek and his wife and have been preparing in advance for the meeting. They are in their dress uniforms and Bones is asking for a reminder on how to perform the Vulcan salute. Sarek and Amanda beam onto the Enterprise, meet everyone, and only after Kirk invites Spock to beam down to Vulcan to visit his parents does Spock finally reveal that the Vulcan Ambassador and his wife that they have been waiting to meet are in fact his parents. Seems consistent with his established character that he does not discuss his family members. He also never mentioned that he was betrothed and had a fiancé on Vulcan until he stole the Enterprise to go visit her...didn't mention his brother Sybok until they encountered him all the way into Star Trek V. Mentioning Michael would have actually contradicted his established character :)

First ep was fine, if not Tilly heavy (she's okay in small doses) The second not so much. I don't hate discovery, I quite enjoyed parts of season 1. But ideally it needs to do a little better than it has done so far in S2. It still has a huge issue in that the main character is boring and unlikable. They need to either Alter Michael drastically, or be brave and ditch her....

Many of the Treks took a little while to get going, we should probably allow SD the same room.

I would agree that I don't care for Burnham. She's just...unlikeable, especially for a series lead. I've found both the captains (Pike and Lorca) much more interesting and fun to cheer for.

That said, I'm surprised...I HATED Season 1. Especially the latter half where they for some reason decided that the story arc they'd built up for 10 episodes wasn't good enough and said, hey, let's go over to Mirror Universe for like 5 episodes. Yawn.

BUT, this season has promise. I'm liking this overarching mystery while still having standalone episodes, and the intersection of religion and science is something I personally have always found - pardon the pun - fascinating. It's why STV is one of my favorite movies, despite it's multitude of flaws.

And I'd say episode 2 is probably the closest Discovery has gotten to being real, true Star Trek. It was great!

I liked this episode, and I agree about Burnham... there's something that's preventing me from really rooting for the character.
But this second episode gave me hope for a good second season.

Season 2 episode 1 is available for free on Youtube right now:

Since all I got to see was 45 minutes of Season 1 Episode 1 because of Oprah's bloated ego, I gave this ep. a watch.

The writing and characterization are outright terrible.
Michael Burnham is a smug miss perfect know it all with no personality. Tilly is a neurotic doofus, Stamets is a creepy weirdo, Saru is week and spineless, Jet Reno (lolz) came off as another miss perfect but at least had some personality, Pike was the only character I kinda liked, but was so off character from his portrayal in TOS and Abrams Trek. The worse part is all these characters are written with the same sounding dialogue coming off like a Whedon TV series. The filming, sets, and effects were very impressive for a TV show, but nothing looked remotely like TOS Star Trek. The Abrams movies looked closer to that era, why can't supposed Prime timeline Trek do the same?
The plot surrounding this Red Angel is just uninteresting to me. It could work but only as a cosmic being one and done episode not as a season long mystery.

And that ridiculous Spore Drive is the worse thing ever introduced to Trek, it doesn't belong here.
Spore Drive is something that belongs in the Lexx universe, not Star Trek! :gah:

I don't watch the show, but from on here and other sites, all I see is negative comments about it. But yet it gets solid RT scores and gets renewed for S2. Is this like the prequels in that all we have are the movies and that people just want it cause it's all there is out there?

I don't watch the show, but from on here and other sites, all I see is negative comments about it. But yet it gets solid RT scores and gets renewed for S2. Is this like the prequels in that all we have are the movies and that people just want it cause it's all there is out there?

As with the prequels, it's the complainers who make the most noise online. This gives a false impression of widespread unpopularity, when in fact the many who like it just don't feel the need to comment.

Lighting is simply too dark for me. If people hate on Snyder for being too dark, just check this show out. Yeesh.

Lighting is simply too dark for me. If people hate on Snyder for being too dark, just check this show out. Yeesh.

The show is trash. I stopped after 5 episodes. If you want Star Trek, watch The Orville. Now that show is incredible this year and made by a lot of the people who did TNG.

I am a lifelong Star Trek fan who was prepared to hate it because it seemed like a strange departure from what I expected from a Star Trek show...unfortunately my hate filled plans were ruined by the show's greatness. Unlike me a lot of other people tend to stick to their plans once they have been made. That is the explanation for the critical acclaim mixed with some online fan hate.

This show isn't the Star Trek that I love. But I did enjoy season one for what it is--essentially a sci-fi action show with some bits of drama thrown in, obviously capitalizing on the brand for the purpose of nostalgia and name recognition, but a pretty superficial connection on that front. Nothing as thought provoking or durable as some of the original series, TNG, or Deep Space Nine, but I think it's fun, some of the characters are really cool, I dug the evil captain and thought Sarek was done really well. I liked it better than most of what we saw in the newer films, FWIW.

I saw the first episode of season 2 last night on Youtube, and enjoyed it, but some of it got a bit predictable and stale. The editing in particular is really annoying me at times. They keep cutting to crew reactions, and it's the same goddamn thing about 50 times per episode. Not everything is a big, dramatic "event" worthy of those kinds of reactions. But it's fine overall. The prawn monster science commander guy is the best thing about the show.

I tried Orville, but it's too cheesy and unfunny for me. I know some of the "good" Star Trek is also cheesy, but there seemed to be more depth of story and emotion there. I haven't tried since season 1 though, so maybe it has improved. Not a fan of the Family Guy dude, though.

Back