Star Ace Marilyn Monroe 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, true. :lol But I don't think it's helping - though the problems seem to be much more in how casting seems to have made the face thinner.

if they could get it back to somewhere near that proto sculpt (the one Dave reposted), well, that's Marilyn IMO. A definite buy here. Those painted pictures are a disaster.

I'm pretty sure there are parts photoshopped in this picture. Her eyes for one.

According to forensics, the only parts that have been Photoshopped are the eyes, the person's fingers who's holding it, the right-hand side of her chin, and a small section of her hair, top left.

The main sculpt (minus mods to the chin) is exact - as far as I can tell. And that's a great likeness.

Yeah, true. :lol But I don't think it's helping - though the problems seem to be much more in how casting seems to have made the face thinner.

The mouth has changed. Obviously, I had to rescale slightly to compensate for the coloured version not being straight on, but what do you think? Have they changed the mouth, made it wider, so it's easier to paint the teeth? Or is it a casting issue?

!cid_15CAC800-042E-4131-A02D-A8400C8E0DB3.jpg
b.jpg

"Goodbye, Norma Jean. . . (and her top lip). . . Though I never knew you at all. . ."

The figure needs that signature pout, they def changed the mouth.

It's a tough angle to compare but yeah, I'd say the mouth has been changed completely.

There's also a bit of a lazy eye on the CCG prototype which isn't helping.

Interestingly, Marilyn did have a slight lazy eye going on. Also, they weren't quite symmetrical either. I've been a JFK and MM fan my whole life, so I spot crap like that :lol

I doubt the sculpt was intentionally changed at all. Many of the times, when casting from resin to PVC, using a steel mold, you'll get shrinkage vertically across the head, it's hard to explain, but when you see it, you get it. You see it when the cheeks shrink inward. That's likely what happened here. The unfortunate part about it, is that it's almost impossible to control, because that's just nature of things, they expand and shrink according to temperature, so when you the items when they're poured are under intense heat, and they cool into the harder finished items, they'll warp. That's just what happens, it's science.

Whatever it is, they need to fix it, recast it or whatever is necessary -- they CAN'T release this and expect to build any kind of new customer base.

To me, it simply means this company can not match a proto to a prod which, in this market with competitors like Blitzway, is pretty weak.

The main sculpt (minus mods to the chin) is exact - as far as I can tell. And that's a great likeness.

Agreed. And the recent pictures are outstanding if you cover up her face under the nose. As is lea thopson/penelpope ann miller vibe. All the more a bummer when the main sculpt looks that good.

Now there's clearer pictures, that's definitely not just a case of bad lighting/shadows.

I doubt the sculpt was intentionally changed at all. Many of the times, when casting from resin to PVC, using a steel mold, you'll get shrinkage vertically across the head, it's hard to explain, but when you see it, you get it. You see it when the cheeks shrink inward. That's likely what happened here. The unfortunate part about it, is that it's almost impossible to control, because that's just nature of things, they expand and shrink according to temperature, so when you the items when they're poured are under intense heat, and they cool into the harder finished items, they'll warp. That's just what happens, it's science.

Yeah, obviously we all get that. But I have to disagree with you - a lot is definitely controllable otherwise no head in the industry would look right and that's not the case. There are techniques for reducing all those problems - one to combat shrinkage is that the head is sometimes sculpted oversized. Anyway, they're a pretty experienced company and shouldn't be a problem for them.

Back