SSC Zartan 12-Inch Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've yet to buy a figure with PERS but I can't imagine I'd change the angle of them often enough to warrant the pressence of the device.

It's a "set it and forget it" gimmick. I haven't seen a figure that absolutely needs them and they only add to the fragility of a figure. Putting them on Joes would be like gold plating a toilet. Does it look nice? Probably. Is it ridiculously unnecessary? Absolutely.

I think it makes the eyes look too big. The DX vs. BR Joker heads is a prime example. I'd take the BR any day of the week.
Yep, me too. But some will argue up and down that that's not the case, and seem to want everything to be DX. The other day someone was asking for a DX Darth Vader. WTF? Obviously HT knows what it's doing to have convinced so many that that's the way to go for every potential figure produced, but they provide just as much bang for your buck with regular releases like T-1000 or T1 T-800 without the googly eyes and they don't suffer one lick from missing the gimmick IMO.

Just like that damn cheap plastic light-up feature on Ghost Rider. . .just kidding, not gonna go there :D

Getting rid of the ratchet knees wouldn't be an improvement as much as it would be fixing one of their bad ideas. The Hot Toys junkies and custom drones need to stay away from this line. The last thing we need is PERS in these.

I can understand why folks don't like them . I don't want PERS either not really a fan of having to mess with the eyes.

This is the old way of thinking when exclusive figures used to sell out and stay sold out. That's not the case anymore. :lol

Its not exactly the case maybe but for the most part there are still plenty of collectors to fill the hole if someone passes an item up.

Its not exactly the case maybe but for the most part there are still plenty of collectors to fill the hole if someone passes an item up.

Seems like more and more people are going Prog's route of waiting for Hastings to get them and discount them. The Stalker exclusive is back in stock (I'm genuinely surprised about that) and the Ninja Viper didn't even hit low quantity. This is even after Sideshow's been dropping the edition sizes.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks doing that. I think some of it has to do with people collecting more than just joes. That's why slowing down a bit isn't bad as it will allow I thunk for better sales per Joe figure. Also the timing of items will help them be able to get each Joe if it slows down. People don't seem to mind buying HT stuff for a decent chunk so that's why I'm saying other factors are more an issue than price.

That's maybe the negative thing about so many items coming out at comic-con. You really have to start picking and choosing more so than normal.

I'm going to have to start cherry picking my Joes too. I've already started streamlining them by cutting out some of the army building figures (I'll probably just stick to core character, unless a trooper is unique enough). I collect quite a few lines, so to save space and money is a necessity. Right now I collect G.I. Joe, Dinosauria, some Marvel PFs, and a lot of the cool stuff Hot Toys releases (and I'll definitely be getting SSC DC stuff).

I am passing on the desert troopers, first Joe releases I have decided to pass on. With so much stuff coming out, random trooper variants just aren't as appealing as a year ago.

I am passing on the desert troopers, first Joe releases I have decided to pass on. With so much stuff coming out, random trooper variants just aren't as appealing as a year ago.

Word

And with people be selective, they have no choice now that the prices are so high. I used to buy all SW items, now none, under 100$ was affordable, now forget it

My point on how slowing down is a bad thing for collectors is that SSC will try to get $2000+ out of you a year no matter what.

They will either make 40 $50 figures, 20 $100 figures or 10 $200 figures.

Slowing the line down won't do anything to save collectors money. It simply moves the scales away from more quantity and into more quality territory.

While some people are exhuberant over improved quality, some people like myself look at a $200 price tag for a toy and freak. It could be the Rolls Royce of 1/6th scale figures, but there are a lot of people who can't justify spending that for just 1 figure.

$2k a year just on joe figures? Hell even at $200 a figure and four a year thats $800. If you mean via other lines as well then yeah but I wouldn't be shocked if folks do that now.

I'd rather see them move more into the quality territory to be honest. I want more bang for my buck and companies like SS and HT know this so thats what they're doing.

Then you buy less. Sorry. As I said most collectors want bang for their buck and for a lot I imagine that of collectors want their figures to kick as much ass as possible. That usually means

there are suppose to be announcing 'another' Cobra trooper soon later this year according to general joes.Why waste the resources and just make figures we have been asking for Sideshow??

$2k a year just on joe figures? Hell even at $200 a figure and four a year thats $800. If you mean via other lines as well then yeah but I wouldn't be shocked if folks do that now.

I'd rather see them move more into the quality territory to be honest. I want more bang for my buck and companies like SS and HT know this so thats what they're doing.

Then you buy less. Sorry. As I said most collectors want bang for their buck and for a lot I imagine that of collectors want their figures to kick as much ass as possible. That usually means

Don't get lost in the numbers I typed, its just an example to prove the point that as the line slows quantity wise, SSC will make up for the lost revenue via increased margins on higher quality figures. Same as a brand like Lexus makes a lot of money even though they don't sell nearly as many cars as Toyota. It would be silly for SSC to just say, "we're selling $XX a year in GI Joe, lets cut it in half". No they'll still try to make that $1,000,000 somehow.

There's no need to apologize for wanting nicer figures for yourself, but your "most collectors" theory is incorrect.

10,000 > 2,000

There are approximately 8,000 less people buying SSC figures these days than at their peak. So you cannot simply say "most collectors" would prefer better/higher priced figures when it has been proven they don't via drastically decreased edition sizes.

Maybe your point was that the 2,000 collectors still remaining prefer better figures, in which case, you could be right. We'll have to see if edition sizes drop further in coming years.

Just for clarity, I'm not exclusively talking about GI Joe here.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of folks doing that. I think some of it has to do with people collecting more than just joes. That's why slowing down a bit isn't bad as it will allow I thunk for better sales per Joe figure. Also the timing of items will help them be able to get each Joe if it slows down. People don't seem to mind buying HT stuff for a decent chunk so that's why I'm saying other factors are more an issue than price.

HT =/= SSC. The more high-end figures HT puts out, especially the ones plucking the heart strings, the more people are gonna cancel SSC figures to get them. You see how many Freaks were drooling over the HT Luke? IMHO, the normal sculpt is as far away as Medi/Enterfail's but they were still all over that ____. The days of "one drops off and two jump on" for Sideshow's 12" have come and gone. That might be true of HT figures (and is), but those glory days for Sideshow 12" have come and gone.

If the 1 jumps off 2 jumps on theory was true, wouldn't SSC edition sizes be going up instead of down?

I'm not sure how much revenue SS is losing or has lost. Sales of items still seem to be pretty good overall. Plus as SS adds new licenses, distributing deals, etc they'll get revenue from that. I'm pretty sure adding DC will balance out whatever they might lose by slowing Joes down from say 6 a year to 4 a year.

No its not incorrect. Most collectors want nicer figures. You take them and show them Rock n Roll compared to the first 1:6th Joe figures and ask them what they want. Collectors want as real a looking figure as they can get thats what seems to marvel folks I talk to at comic-con is how life like they're now. Folks don't want to go back to the mongoloid looking figures of the 60's or even back to less detailed figures of 5-10 years ago.

Decreased ES doesn't mean less folks buying per say. High ES can be generated by people just order because of themselves getting caught up in the moment. As a whole the top end any item I've seen be able to really deal with was 5k on an ES. Higher than that and an item falters and this was in the days when everything was hot.

Back