1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys funny [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

People were dogging on the TOD Indy too until repaints surfaced.

Oh well. People see things differently. Can't please em all. [emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So then what you are saying is that even though SS put out a crap (in my opinion) sculpt, this figure should be praised because possibly after dumping another $150 (guesstimating here as i cant remember how much i paid for a prior repaint, just remembered it wasnt cheap) for a repaint...it might look good because an Indiana Jones figure looked better after a repaint? I mean, come on man, lol. If a figures best point is that it might be improved after the entire face sculpt/paint modifications are done, that's not really saying much for the release.

You also say "cant please them all" but directly prior were talking about a repaint. Not to sound like a smart aleck, but you yourself are contributing to the same school of thought that rhe figure needs work to become passable to good

So then what you are saying is that even though SS put out a crap (in my opinion) sculpt, this figure should be praised because possibly after dumping another $150 (guesstimating here as i cant remember how much i paid for a prior repaint, just remembered it wasnt cheap) for a repaint...it might look good because an Indiana Jones figure looked better after a repaint? I mean, come on man, lol. If a figures best point is that it might be improved after the entire face sculpt/paint modifications are done, that's not really saying much for the release.

You also say "cant please them all" but directly prior were talking about a repaint. Not to sound like a smart aleck, but you yourself are contributing to the same school of thought that rhe figure needs work to become passable to good

He's saying the underlying sculpt seems good or has potential but is being held back by the paint. I don't think he's commenting on the full release as a whole vs the price and the value therein. You're attempting to conflate those two things for some reason. :dunno

He's saying the underlying sculpt seems good or has potential but is being held back by the paint. I don't think he's commenting on the full release as a whole vs the price and the value therein. You're attempting to conflate those two things for some reason. :dunno
Bingo. [emoji106]

I see no more that a vague resemblance to Hamill. I don't think this sculpt woukd survive an out of context test, but to each his own I suppose...

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Im not attempting to conflate anything. Taking someone's comments and claiming "can't please everyone" while also saying sculpt could possibly be good with an entire repaint...seems rather contradictory to me. I dont need to conflate anything to see that. Just goofy.

But ill say it again, if folks are happy with this figure, thats great. My issue is the lengths people need to go to in trying to give Sideshow credit for this $230 release. Ive seen the repaints, the swapped hair, the HT body/head parts swap out, etc. Im an out of the box person myself, so im just having my own issue I suppose, giving sideshow anything on this figure for how much work it takes out of the box to get it even to the point of acceptable.

Someone posted their effort on Facebook the other day, with a different luke hair sculpt, ESB version I believe....and while it wasnt bad, the hair was sort of floating above the forehead due to a bad fit...yet that is a better look than sideshow came out with out of the box. I know some mix and match to get their dream figure, but this amount of work to get something presentable is a strike against Sideshow. I hope eventually they get their act together or stop making these altogether as other companies step up

Im not attempting to conflate anything. Taking someone's comments and claiming "can't please everyone" while also saying sculpt could possibly be good with an entire repaint...seems rather contradictory to me. I dont need to conflate anything to see that. Just goofy.

But ill say it again, if folks are happy with this figure, thats great. My issue is the lengths people need to go to in trying to give Sideshow credit for this $230 release. Ive seen the repaints, the swapped hair, the HT body/head parts swap out, etc. Im an out of the box person myself, so im just having my own issue I suppose, giving sideshow anything on this figure for how much work it takes out of the box to get it even to the point of acceptable.

Someone posted their effort on Facebook the other day, with a different luke hair sculpt, ESB version I believe....and while it wasnt bad, the hair was sort of floating above the forehead due to a bad fit...yet that is a better look than sideshow came out with out of the box. I know some mix and match to get their dream figure, but this amount of work to get something presentable is a strike against Sideshow. I hope eventually they get their act together or stop making these altogether as other companies step up
The reason I say "can't please everyone" is because it's a down right true statement. Most people in this hobby will find something to complain about. What might work for me might not work for you. Plain and simple. But the difference here is I'm willing to give this sculpt TLC to get what I want in my collection. I'm not giving SS credit for nothing. I don't care. I see a Hamill likeness here. More so than I have seen in any OT release from HT. Again, this is what I see. You are right we shouldn't have to put more money into making the sculpt look good, but You do have to realize that there are some people in this hobby that pay premium prices for custom heads from artists like Jnix and Inigo. Those sculpts run around $100. And then there's the paint which can run. $150-350. So why is this any different than that? I see a quality sculpt that is just suffering from the same ol same ol ****** SS factory paint.

And I'm assuming the comment you made about "another person posted one on FB" is probably me, as others made that same comment in regards to the hair floating? (Not seeing it, but like I said people see different things)

I still love my DX07 sculpt, but it's an idealised look of Luke. This, IMO has more of Hamills likeness and potentially could be a solid replacement.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong and even a solid repaint will turn out like ****. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. [emoji106]

Here's the pics I posted on FB. Some people were saying it looks like a young Willam Dafoe or Mick Jagger (which I can see a little. Hamill did share some facial features of both) hell I even see that in Inigos quality sculpt he just did too.

Like I said can't please everyone. To each their own. FB_IMG_1550469034503.jpegFB_IMG_1550469036791.jpegFB_IMG_1550469043885.jpegFB_IMG_1550469041249.jpegFB_IMG_1550469029243.jpeg

The touch up you did certainly looks better, don't get me wrong. The hair is an improvement, even though, yeah, it slightly floats, especially on the forehead. That said, if i came across as rude, i do apologize for that. Ill leave it as this...again...i simply dont like the amount of work/convincing it takes to get this particular release acceptable for most. They all cant be home runs, like, Ep 3 Anakin...but this one seemed to be one of the more problematic releases in some time.

That's a really interesting customization. The eyes, nose and mouth scream 'Hamill' to me, and the hair shape looks great. The only place it loses out for me is the jaw line -- a little too square and heavy.

Maddening just how close we can get with this actor sometimes.

The touch up you did certainly looks better, don't get me wrong. The hair is an improvement, even though, yeah, it slightly floats, especially on the forehead. That said, if i came across as rude, i do apologize for that. Ill leave it as this...again...i simply dont like the amount of work/convincing it takes to get this particular release acceptable for most. They all cant be home runs, like, Ep 3 Anakin...but this one seemed to be one of the more problematic releases in some time.
No prob man. No offense taken. And I wasn't meaning to offend either, it's just we all see things differently. This I've come to realize a lot with Ford/ Indy. In my opinion Inigos V2 And Smiling sculpts are bang on perfect Ford. Some don't think so. And that's ok. At the end of the days it's your collection and the only opinion that truly matters is your own.

[emoji106][emoji482][emoji482]
That's a really interesting customization. The eyes, nose and mouth scream 'Hamill' to me, and the hair shape looks great. The only place it loses out for me is the jaw line -- a little too square and heavy.

Yeah it's not [emoji817] perfect but it's darn close (to my eye) I'm anxious to get this repainted to see what it looks like. I'm waiting on a better neck piece so I can send both to the painter and get it to match.

Yeah, I think Rzez has a good eye. I do see the Willem Dafoe aspect pretty clearly though - it may be the jawline being too prominent. Dafoe has an almost comic book chin that doesn't seem quite correctly shaped.

I also don't think that hair fully captures ESB for me (it's also a bit goldish looking - it's REALLY hard to paint hairpieces; I always thought they were the easy part of a headsculpt paint-up but they aren't.)

Rzez if you have this SSC hairpiece, I'd be interested to see that on this SSC DX ROTJ headsculpt. It's not very detailed like nearly all SSC hairpieces, but I like the overall shape and the color isn't bad (and yes, it has some dremel dust on it in this pic.)

r4VuP5J.jpg

Yeah, I think Rzez has a good eye. I do see the Willem Dafoe aspect pretty clearly though - it may be the jawline being too prominent. Dafoe has an almost comic book chin that doesn't seem quite correctly shaped.

I also don't think that hair fully captures ESB for me (it's also a bit goldish looking - it's REALLY hard to paint hairpieces; I always thought they were the easy part of a headsculpt paint-up but they aren't.)

Rzez if you have this SSC hairpiece, I'd be interested to see that on this SSC DX ROTJ headsculpt. It's not very detailed like nearly all SSC hairpieces, but I like the overall shape and the color isn't bad (and yes, it has some dremel dust on it in this pic.)

r4VuP5J.jpg
Which Hairpiece?

Well, this has turned into the "Franken-Luke" thread.... :) The original figure is almost nowhere to be found in here lately.

My Luke is scheduled to arrive today. I am so on fence about this figure. I don't know if I want to keep it, send it back. I don't think I'm sold on the likeness or not. I never got the Snowspeeder or X-Wing Luke so I'd almost rather have one of them instead.

Agreed. The heads are kinda terrible but I can also see what they were trying to do with them, so I wonder if it’s just the bad paint that’s holding them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS has got to hire a better sculptor and painter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this has turned into the "Franken-Luke" thread.... :) The original figure is almost nowhere to be found in here lately.

Very true. It seems the overall consensus on the figure is that if one is going to purchase it, they have to be willing to spend a decent amount of extra cash for swapping out different parts/sculpts/props, etc, abd also need to look into different hair and paint work. It really seems a lot of work is needed to get this to even "satisfactory" level. Too much work for me.

Criticism is good if it’s based in observation and knowledge. But did you even look at the picture? You should at least know the reference well enough to be this brutal.

Yes, of course I looked at the photo. I am sorry you do not agree with my opinion. If you feel the sculpt is good, more power too you. I do not like the thick lines curvy lines of the sculpt compared to the cleaner look of the Hot Toys version. The edges are rounded and get lost and the wood stock looks like a waffle for Pete's Sake and it isn't even the right color :)

Are you saying that if someone disagrees with you, they are not knowledgeable? That is a hella of a way to go through life.

Attachments

• Lukes Gun.jpg
    Lukes Gun.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Lukes Gun 2.jpg
    Lukes Gun 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Lukes Gun 3.jpg
    Lukes Gun 3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 202
Yes, of course I looked at the photo. I am sorry you do not agree with my opinion. If you feel the sculpt is good, more power too you. I do not like the thick lines curvy lines of the sculpt compared to the cleaner look of the Hot Toys version. The edges are rounded and get lost and the wood stock looks like a waffle for Pete's Sake and it isn't even the right color :)

Are you saying that if someone disagrees with you, they are not knowledgeable? That is a hella of a way to go through life.

Hehe, wow you dug that old comment up? ...well, yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying, if you don’t agree with me you don’t know ****... come on man [emoji28]

Back