Statue SS Conan the Barbarian Fury of the Beast Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bestas are only good for ht 1/6 figures or if you have a gigantic wall of them, a few 1/4 and those things become useless.

Well the bestas were nice originally but my collection has grown so fast. Being only able to fit two per shelf is limiting and I can't fit the beastly PFs like Skaar, Classic Thor or my upcomming Hulk Maquette and Dark Rider on Horse.

Also the bottom shelf in Bestas makes it hard to see unless you squat down to look at it.

wow didn't see this coming.

Not sure there is such a thing as 'color accuracy' here. Conan fights giant ape creatures in multiple Howard stories and they range in color. This isn't supposed to be represent any particular scene I don't think.

I'm more concerned about the fact that Conan is almost completely covered by the ape. Will have to see more photos to see if there are good display options where you can actually see Conan !

It was confirmed that this is a 1/5 scale piece on the other forum by the sculptor. Will go great with "The Prize"

Im surprised the White Ape isnt the EX given white animals are more rare. The cuts and blood look really pink on the white version like Conan is trying to put lipstick on him. I'll be buying one though, no doubt. I'm just not sure if its going to black or white. Who am I kidding...Im an EX junkie.

White pops out better, and makes this an albino ape! Who cares if black is the EX. The only reason Sideshow made Black the EXis because they knew it wouldn't sell as much (as it doesn't bring out Conan due to the scheme). I'm sure one can come up with a story where Conan is fighting a white ape. Almost reminds me of a scene from John Carter, which I particularly liked. Maybe this could be the John Carter dio I've been looking for.

Conan>John Carter

I might go for both if the price isn't so high....:pray:

bestas are only good for ht 1/6 figures or if you have a gigantic wall of them, a few 1/4 and those things become useless.

Well the bestas were nice originally but my collection has grown so fast. Being only able to fit two per shelf is limiting and I can't fit the beastly PFs like Skaar, Classic Thor or my upcomming Hulk Maquette and Dark Rider on Horse.

Also the bottom shelf in Bestas makes it hard to see unless you squat down to look at it.

But it is difficult to find alternatives, in my opinion. I mean, the BESTAs offer simple solutions that look good. They do not extent too far from the wall (are not too deep). I'm going to buy a BESTA system for my PFs in the new year. I simply don't know what else to get. I just don't have room for more space-demanding shelves. As a collector of Star Wars PFs (a few busts) I sure hope this will suffice for my need.

There are plenty of giant apes/man-apes in Howard's original Conan (and Kull) stories. The notable Conan ones would be:

Thak, the ape that thought itself a man, from the story Rogues in the House, who was black of fur. He also was famously clad in a priest's red cloak when Conan encountered him. He was from a unique species of man-ape from outer Zamora.

The giant man-ape in the story Shadows in the Moonlight (aka Iron Shadows in the Moon) was described as mostly gray, with hints of silver. These man-apes are also commonly referred to simply as Gray Apes in most stories, given that they are, basically, giant gray apes. They are frequently used both by Howard and others, probably most famously in Hour of the Dragon, where Conan encounters the 'Haunter of the Pits', another gray ape that Conan must do battle with. McFarlane Toys released the Haunter as a black ape instead of the Howard described gray ape when it did its Conan figure line some years back. Even knowing it was the wrong colour I still purchased it anyway, bi+ch to Howard's Conan that I am.

The Servants of Bit-Yakin from the story The Jewels of Gwahlur were also revealed to be another iteration of the gray apes.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head from Howard's own stories, and I can't recall, in Howard's original work at least, any white apes ever mentioned at all, even in passing. Nor any other black furred ones apart from Thak. Howard was all about the gray apes of one manner or another.

And so to my mind while this piece looks to be based on the Haunter of the Pits chapter of The Hour of the Dragon, if so then neither colour is actually correct, based on the original text.

That said, Conan has been around for a smidge over 80 years now, and there have been white, black, brown, as well as the more traditional gray apes in various Conan comics, pieces of artwork, video games, and so on over the years, so the fact that Sideshow has taken artistic license doesn't surprise me, even if I am a touch disappointed that they did two colour variants here, and still neither of them were the classic Howard gray ape.

If I buy this piece I'll be going with the white, as it is probably as close as I'm ever going to get, plus visually it just pops better than the black version.

Wonder if they'll at least get Conan's eye colour right this time?

There are plenty of giant apes/man-apes in Howard's original Conan (and Kull) stories. The notable Conan ones would be:

Thak, the ape that thought itself a man, from the story Rogues in the House, who was black of fur. He also was famously clad in a priest's red cloak when Conan encountered him. He was from a unique species of man-ape from outer Zamora.

The giant man-ape in the story Shadows in the Moonlight (aka Iron Shadows in the Moon) was described as mostly gray, with hints of silver. These man-apes are also commonly referred to simply as Gray Apes in most stories, given that they are, basically, giant gray apes. They are frequently used both by Howard and others, probably most famously in Hour of the Dragon, where Conan encounters the 'Haunter of the Pits', another gray ape that Conan must do battle with. McFarlane Toys released the Haunter as a black ape instead of the Howard described gray ape when it did its Conan figure line some years back. Even knowing it was the wrong colour I still purchased it anyway, bi+ch to Howard's Conan that I am.

The Servants of Bit-Yakin from the story The Jewels of Gwahlur were also revealed to be another iteration of the gray apes.

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head from Howard's own stories, and I can't recall, in Howard's original work at least, any white apes ever mentioned at all, even in passing. Nor any other black furred ones apart from Thak. Howard was all about the gray apes of one manner or another.

And so to my mind while this piece looks to be based on the Haunter of the Pits chapter of The Hour of the Dragon, if so then neither colour is actually correct, based on the original text.

That said, Conan has been around for a smidge over 80 years now, and there have been white, black, brown, as well as the more traditional gray apes in various Conan comics, pieces of artwork, video games, and so on over the years, so the fact that Sideshow has taken artistic license doesn't surprise me, even if I am a touch disappointed that they did two colour variants here, and still neither of them were the classic Howard gray ape.

If I buy this piece I'll be going with the white, as it is probably as close as I'm ever going to get, plus visually it just pops better than the black version.

Wonder if they'll at least get Conan's eye colour right this time?

Did you do that off the top of your head. Totally badass if so :D
I'm a Howard Conan junkie but I haven't picked them up in a few years and couldn't tell you which ape was where and what color they were (except Thank of course...)

200049_press13.jpg

With an animal species there are color ranges from light to dark.
I'm happy to say this pic is a gray ape.

But it is difficult to find alternatives, in my opinion. I mean, the BESTAs offer simple solutions that look good. They do not extent too far from the wall (are not too deep). I'm going to buy a BESTA system for my PFs in the new year. I simply don't know what else to get. I just don't have room for more space-demanding shelves. As a collector of Star Wars PFs (a few busts) I sure hope this will suffice for my need.

Gagaliya has plenty of posts now that go into detail how the ikea pax > besta

It was confirmed that this is a 1/5 scale piece on the other forum by the sculptor. Will go great with "The Prize"

I have some 1/5 statues and I tell you that it's impossible. If it would be in 1/5 scale this diorama would be high as a kid.

It will be at least 1/6 scale, maybe 1/5 if that apple is any indicator...it's a huge piece at any rate

Back