Spike is Live!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE my PF Excl Spike, the clothes are a bummer but I plan to display him behind Buffy PF, maybe try to re-create (however inaccurate it may be) that saucy scene in the Bronze on the balcony :monkey5

I've been drooling over this guy all week at Comic Con (trust me, the online pictures do not do this piece justice --or any of the pieces I saw this weekend, for that matter). Spike's likeness is dead-on and the only thing I noticed that seemed off was that his hands appear out of scale with the rest of his body. Not that I'm complaining, you know what they say about vamps with big hands... :monkey5

do you think the coat and the red vest are removeable? i would love to take the red vest off and have him look more like he does in Seasons Six and Seven/ Angel season 5

Ordered Spike. The likeness of the human head kicks ass, but i'll probably have him displayed with the Vamp Face.

Dayna said:
Oooo, very nice! Are these still available for purchase?

Hopefully. Sadly due to ill health I still haven't got around to finishing him yet. Here's a couple of other WIP of FFL Spike. Anyone can PM me if they are interested.

And here's the roughly painted head off the full length figure from the other comment. It's very small only about two inches tall from top of head to his chin.

To get back onto topic, despite the costume errors and oversized hands I'm still really excited about this premium figure and I hope to turns out to be real best seller for Sideshow. :D

im not one to whine about costume inaccuracies as long as the actual sculpt is correct and you know who it's supposed to be. got my order in and hopefully i wont have to cancel when he ships.

Well I only 'whine' when the item in question is very expensive and the errors are quite pronounced. They are a professional company aren't they? and so should hold high standards when it comes to what they produce.

The likeness is excelent, which makes it even more jarring that the 'easier' elements such as the hands and costume are 'out'. Any sculptor would have noticed that the hands are just huge compared to the rest of his body, probably made worse by the fact the sleeves of the coat are too short and too narow.

I used to work in the TV VFX industry and so I'm used to having to re-create people/items from photographic reference. The most important thing when it comes to sculpting any figure is good observation of your subject.

The Sideshow sculptor had the benefit of using the info from a computer scan to work over to create the likeness, so the rest should have been even easier to get right.

I know this may sound overly fussy, but considering the price tag of the thing I don't think it's asking too much for them to get it right. Aswell as being a huge Spike fan, I've always been a big admirer of Sideshows releases and so I don't want this one to 'fall short' of being everything it could be.

This has the making of being the ultimate Spike figure, and I feel if they just 'tweeked' it just a little bit more it still could be. :D

LOTRSWfan said:
do you think the coat and the red vest are removeable? i would love to take the red vest off and have him look more like he does in Seasons Six and Seven/ Angel season 5

Since these are not jointed like 1/6 figures you would either have to literally take the arms apart at the seams and hope they didn't crack in the process or actually either cut the jacket off or take them apart at the stitching. Definitely not a project for the faint of heart. :cool:

sueworld said:
Well I only 'whine' when the item in question is very expensive and the errors are quite pronounced. They are a professional company aren't they? and so should hold high standards when it comes to what they produce.

The likeness is excelent, which makes it even more jarring that the 'easier' elements such as the hands and costume are 'out'. Any sculptor would have noticed that the hands are just huge compared to the rest of his body, probably made worse by the fact the sleeves of the coat are too short and too narow.

I used to work in the TV VFX industry and so I'm used to having to re-create people/items from photographic reference. The most important thing when it comes to sculpting any figure is good observation of your subject.

The Sideshow sculptor had the benefit of using the info from a computer scan to work over to create the likeness, so the rest should have been even easier to get right.

I know this may sound overly fussy, but considering the price tag of the thing I don't think it's asking too much for them to get it right. Aswell as being a huge Spike fan, I've always been a big admirer of Sideshows releases and so I don't want this one to 'fall short' of being everything it could be.

This has the making of being the ultimate Spike figure, and I feel if they just 'tweeked' it just a little bit more it still could be. :D

Well, I have to admit, at first, that I thought it was a little nitpicky but then when you showed the side by side comparisons it is quite noticable how short the sleeves look and how big the hands look. I think just changing the length of the coat would automatically address the large hand issue too.

And that isn't really that big of a deal for Sideshow to fix the sleeve length and it really does make a huge difference in the overall look of the figure.

I've obviously ordered this item and I'm not an overly picky person but I agree wholeheartedly about the jacket. Please Sideshow, make it bigger for the final product. Other than that, I don't have any issues with it. Although if possible, I may remove the red shirt and display it with the t-shirt and jacket only.

I passed on Spike, and just cancelled th PF exclusive Buffy. I figured if Buffy were a stand alone piece, she would be a cool Iconic representation of the Buffiverse, but with Spike coming along, the completist compulsion in me would go off the deep end! I had to get out before things got ugly!

Seaward said:
I passed on Spike, and just cancelled th PF exclusive Buffy. I figured if Buffy were a stand alone piece, she would be a cool Iconic representation of the Buffiverse, but with Spike coming along, the completist compulsion in me would go off the deep end! I had to get out before things got ugly!

Exactly why I won't get started on the PF figures, as much as I love them!! I have been so obsessed with the 12" ones and it is now such a large collection!

But, if they ever do a PF Illyria or the Firefly/Serenity line I will not be able to resist at all!! I already know I'd buy up every figure, 12" or PF of Firefly. And Illyria would make a stunning PF figure, especially if they pose her right.

Firefly Flanatic said:
Exactly why I won't get started on the PF figures, as much as I love them!! I have been so obsessed with the 12" ones and it is now such a large collection!

But, if they ever do a PF Illyria or the Firefly/Serenity line I will not be able to resist at all!! I already know I'd buy up every figure, 12" or PF of Firefly. And Illyria would make a stunning PF figure, especially if they pose her right.

PF Illyria, Mal or River would leave me broke. I WOULD get those!

Well the reason I got spike is, well obviously its brilliant, but also Spike luckily is a fave character of mine from season 2, AND he had his vamp on! Buffy sums up the show, as would an angel PF. They would be the only three I would get.

A Xander or Willow PF for example, even if extraordinary, I would never buy. The reason is that theyre to 'normal'. I love the characters but I wouldnt want to spend hundreds of $ for a 1/4 scale person. A Dark Willow? Now were talkin.
Demons and out of the usual characters are the winners.

BDboystoys said:
Demons and out of the usual characters are the winners.

In the PF line that's probably true due to cost and space considerations, but the 12" Buffy line has suffered greatly from too few new human characters despite too many monsters and retreads. I know several fellow Buffy collectors who didn't touch Sideshow's figures at all because SS didn't seem to be committed to putting out all the core humans, and they didn't want to bother with a line full of gaps. Buffy is an ensemble show, and many collectors want a guarantee of the entire core ensemble or they won't bother.

Even I almost avoided collecting Sideshow because of the missing human characters and poor human Willow. I'm the type of fanatic schmuck who spends $200-$1000 every single month lately on Whedonverse stuff, and still the SS figures were a tough sell to me because of the missing humans. The PF line is a different beast with a market other than general Buffy collectors, but in the 12" line, to the Buffy-centric collectors it needs to appeal to, it's typically mostly about the humans.

As for which characters I'd buy a PF of: Buffy, Spike, Angel, Willow, Illyria, the Ubervamp. Those are the only definites. Any other characters would be iffy for me.

OK...had to come off the benches and add my 2 cents.

I preordered PF Spike on Sunday as soon as I was able to get infront of a computer. I have had the PF BUffy on order since Day 1 as well. I will continue doing this for all Buffy/Angel/Firefly(!!!!!) PFs that Sideshow cares to make. That's a no-brainer for me.

I was really sad to have missed out on the vast majority of the Buffy 12 inch line and, with great regret, decided to avoid the line becuase chasing down so many sold-out figures would have been too much for a recovering Bowen Marvel bust addict :pow

But I swore swore swore to myself that if Sideshow ever graced us with a PF Buffy/Angel/Firefly(!!!!!) line I'd get each and every one the very first day I could. So far...2 for 2.

Sideshow, if you're out there and reading...give us the Scooby Gang in PF and the Firefly/Serenity crew in PF (or 12 inch...) and you will see a sell-out for every one produced.

G&T

Games&Theory said:
Sideshow, if you're out there and reading...give us the Scooby Gang in PF and the Firefly/Serenity crew in PF (or 12 inch...) and you will see a sell-out for every one produced.

G&T

good points!!! i agree we need some Firefly/Serenity love. i'd get a PF Malcolm Reynolds and definately a PF Inara...:monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Back