Spike is Live!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullseye said:
Are people likely to keep Spike is Buffy is a disappointment?

Well being the PF freak that I am I probably will :rotfl

I'm still being very optimistic though that the Buffy they send me will end up looking much better than the one they took to SDCC :rolleyes:

pjam said:
Wow SE, that is one the most amazing posts I have ever read. :D
I'll second that. I am always amazed at the attention to detail some people have. I usually look at a new figure and am like, man thats nice, but you've got guys here that know these characters down to each individual thread of their costume. And so you know, I mean this as a compliment.

sergei that was a great post with som excellent observations.

You're not the only one to have spotted all those errors, I made a similar post on another thread here.

I still think he's lovely, but the faults with the costume do bother me somewhat.

I think which can be clearly demonstrated with this comparison photo.

compare.jpg

As you point out the length of the duster is too short. The sleeves too short and too narrow amking his writs look too thin and his hands even more enormous. The shirt's inlaid 'strips' are too dark and too wide for this scale. Also the dusters lapels are set too far back on his shoulders as you can see.

The vamp makeup is wrong, but strangley enough not as bad as some sculpted attempts I've seen.

I also would have liked more emotion in the face, but as I know from my dealings with my friend who is a senior portait sculptor for Madame Tussauards in London getting a good likeness is actually a lot harder when a person smiles then when he they are 'straight faced', so I can't blame them for taking the easy option.

Also I suspect that this likeness was created by using a scan, for the sculptor to work over just as the original 12 ich figure was which is probaly why his face is so neutral.

You can also tell this sculpt has been based on a later season version of Spike, as he looks sublty older then in he did in season two. I suspect that the toy firms may have access to the scans that were made of James during season seven for the the end of chosen.

All of that aside I'm more then grateful that they have chosen to give this wonderful character the PF treatment and to have him released so soon after the Buffy figure means that they must think that he will sell well.

I know If I could afford to get one I would at the drop of a hat!

Last edited:
sueworld said:
sergei that was a great post with som excellent observations.

You're not the only one to have spotted all those errors, I made a similar post on another thread here.

I still think he's lovely, but the faults with the costume do bother me somewhat.

I think which can be clearly demonstrated with this comparison photo.

compare.jpg

As you point out the length of the duster is too short. The sleeves too short and too narrow amking his writs look too thin and his hands even more enormous.

Just want to mention it looks like his jacket sleeves are rolled up in the PF.

Maybe the photographer/SSC Staffer was instructed to do that so we could see his hands, otherwise people would be complaining they can't see them...

I have to admit I am also impressed whenever anyone knows this much detail about a costume to spot the errors as well.

I think it is important to not as well while the other critiques may be fixable, the stripes of the shirt may not be. I know from chats with Greg Mowry who has worked on most of the PF offerings, sometimes it can be impossible to match a fabric perfectly and sometimes a little artistic license has to be taken. Of course, I can't say with 100% certainty but that may be what happened with the shirt.

Now as far as the length of the duster and sleeves of course that's just tailoring and hopefully that may change somewhere along the way. :D

Put my order in. Even though this is a fantastic piece I will not keep it if the star of the show is not equally as good.:D

pjam said:
Just want to mention it looks like his jacket sleeves are rolled up in the PF.

I've had a very good look at them and no, sadly they are not.

The reason why I'm so 'anal retentive' about this stems from the fact that apart from being a huge long term Spike fan I've sculpted him myself enough times in the past and have had to study tones of photographic reference to get it as correct as I can as you can see below, which is why I find it odd that professional companies can sometimes miss out glaring details.

b7710eb7.jpg

So I do hope that Sideshow get the message and correct him, and then he will be the ultimate Spike figure and a superb addition to their PF line up.

sueworld said:

The reason why I'm so 'anal retentive' about this stems from the fact that apart from being a huge long term Spike fan I've sculpted him myself enough times in the past and have had to study tones of photographic reference to get it as correct as I can as you can see below, which is why I find it odd that professional companies can sometimes miss out glaring details.

b7710eb7.jpg

So I do hope that Sideshow get the message and correct him, and then he will be the ultimate Spike figure and a superb addition to their PF line up.

Very nice sculpt. Any of Buffy?

Sadly no, I started on her and didn't end up finishing.

Also I'm weak at likenesses and my friend at Tussaurds who sculpted the head on the figure above couldn't spare the time to do a head for her and I knew I wouldn't be able to it on my own.

I'm fine with bodies and clothes, but portraiture just isn't my thing, which is I suppose I appreciate those sculptors who can.

sueworld said:
Sadly no, I started on her and didn't end up finishing.

Also I'm weak at likenesses and my friend at Tussaurds who sculpted the head on the figure above couldn't spare the time to do a head for her and I knew I wouldn't be able to it on my own.

I'm fine with bodies and clothes, but portraiture just isn't my thing, which is I suppose I appreciate those sculptors who can.

Check out Trevolvers work. His portraits are incredible and he is quite young.
https://www.theclubhouse1.net/forums/

Oh I'm a memeber of that forum. Thanks for the tip off I'll go and have a look. I'm always keen on seeing new talent.

That Spike head my mate did for me was a very rushed affair (done in a day) but this is the kind of thing he normally sculpts, such as this David Beckham that he did for Tussauds.

beck-1.jpg

sueworld said:
Oh I'm a memeber of that forum. Thanks for the tip off I'll go and have a look. I'm always keen on seeing new talent.

That Spike head my mate did for me was a very rushed affair (done in a day) but this is the kind of thing he normally sculpts, such as this David Beckham that he did for Tussauds.

beck-1.jpg

Thats fantastic. Are you based in the UK.

Not really no. I'm quite a slow sculptor since becoming ill, so I don't tend to encourage that side of things anymore.

I sell the odd copy of ones that I've already made (all Spikes) , but thats it really.

I agree with those who aren't terribly fond of the nameplate. if it still looks that lame on the final version, I've already photoshopped one to put over it:

...oops, posted that a trifle prematurely...just wanted to add that Oluf Hartvigson's a genius. Spikey Premium is, outside of the nameplate, gorgeous.

sueworld said:

Oooo, very nice! Are these still available for purchase?

Back