Spider-Man swings onto Blu-Ray!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can it be better picture quality with HD Dvd when it's a fact that the Xbox HD Dvd is garbage?

The fact that you have a BR player doesn't make it fact that the HD Drive is crap :rolleyes:

I love my HD drive and the picture quality is amazing. I am of course in the HD camp but I'm not going to ***** on the PS3 because they have the SAME picture quality.

The fact that you have a BR player doesn't make it fact that the HD Drive is crap :rolleyes:

I love my HD drive and the picture quality is amazing. I am of course in the HD camp but I'm not going to ***** on the PS3 because they have the SAME picture quality.

It's not because I own a BR player. Go look for any reviews on the Xbox HD drive an the PS3 BR player. :rolleyes:

Of course you love your HD drive, because you ****ing own one.

The Fact is, the Xbox HD drive is not up to the best standards out there in terms of HD Dvd players. Where as the PS3 BR drive has a pretty good quality comparable to the other BR players out on the market.

Last edited:
Just when I thought I settled on a HD-DVD player, something like this happens. I'm really tossed right now. I had a chance over the weekend to pick up a Toshiba HD-DVD player for $229.99 and came so close, but something held me back (even though the price was incredible..it was an open box buy)....

I think I'm going to fully wait out this format war at this point, and that includes a PS3 for BR capability. The difference between a standard DVD and and upgraded HD/BR DVD isn't like comparing VHS to DVD. That was a huge difference back then!!

Can both formats play standard DVD's (I know the HD_DVD can, but I'm not sure about BR)? I don't want to repurchase my entire DVD collection to fully upgrade to HD/BR discs...

Can both formats play standard DVD's (I know the HD_DVD can, but I'm not sure about BR)? I don't want to repurchase my entire DVD collection to fully upgrade to HD/BR discs...

Both players upconvert standard DVD's, and the PS3 is said to do quite a good job at even that.

Can only speak for the PS3 (I own a 360 but not the HD DVD drive), but yes, it plays DVD's and upscales them.

This has become a sirously heated debate between HD DVD and Blu-ray, it's almost like the Coke or Pepsi debate of our time.

By the way I choose Pepsi and HD DVD!

I think I'm going to fully wait out this format war at this point, and that includes a PS3 for BR capability. The difference between a standard DVD and and upgraded HD/BR DVD isn't like comparing VHS to DVD. That was a huge difference back then!!

Again, I don't think either format is going to win so if you're waiting for a clear winner you might be waiting a really long time. But, you could wait until the prices are better. They are going down pretty often so by the time that it actually matters there will probably be a good price for both players (or maybe one of the dual-format players).

Spider-man on blu-ray will be a treat to the eye, but with the blu-ray prices still sky-high I won't buy it. Just going to grab the normal dvd.

Yeah, and Matrix Trilogy!:chew
They went to HD.:monkey2

I picked that one up with my HD-A2. Amazon had a killer deal going. I ended up getting the player, Army of Darkness, Letters from Iwo Jima, and the Matrix Box set for a little under $300 shipped. It was too good to pass up, so I upgraded and sold my HD-A2 for about $150 on Ebay. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself!

Plus, I get 5 free movies by mail :D

FYI, I think the Matrix box set is also coming to Blu-ray in the Fall, but I'm not sure if any features are different. I know some people were upset that the Animatrix was SD.

Spider-man on blu-ray will be a treat to the eye, but with the blu-ray prices still sky-high I won't buy it. Just going to grab the normal dvd.

$400 is sky-high? On a board where half the collectibles start at around $200 and go up from there no less :lol

I'd imagine the format wars will heat up around Xmas. You already have PS3 and Xbox 360 starting price wars. I doubt standalone HD-DVD and Blu-ray players are far behind. Toshiba has already started with insanely low prices for the HD-DVD players. My prediction...expect some good deals when Spiderman 3 hits the streets, which should be right around Black Friday anyway.

$400 is sky-high? On a board where half the collectibles start at around $200 and go up from there no less :lol

lol... i find this funny too, but if they spend $600 on a PS3 thats a couple PFs they can't buy. did anyone seriously think spiderman wouldn't come out on Blu Ray?? sony even recycled the spiderman font for the PS3.

I'd imagine the format wars will heat up around Xmas. You already have PS3 and Xbox 360 starting price wars. I doubt standalone HD-DVD and Blu-ray players are far behind. Toshiba has already started with insanely low prices for the HD-DVD players. My prediction...expect some good deals when Spiderman 3 hits the streets, which should be right around Black Friday anyway.

Well the cheapest blu-ray driver here in the Netherlands is €1200,- and that is sky-high. I don't want a PS3 for blu-ray, just a stand alone player.

Well the cheapest blu-ray driver here in the Netherlands is €1200,- and that is sky-high. I don't want a PS3 for blu-ray, just a stand alone player.

have you done research into stand alone blu-ray players vs. the ps3 blu-ray player? give it a read, most hi-def websites give the ps3 blu-ray player better ratings than stand alone players. just a heads up.

have you done research into stand alone blu-ray players vs. the ps3 blu-ray player? give it a read, most hi-def websites give the ps3 blu-ray player better ratings than stand alone players. just a heads up.

I've read it, but the PS3 is louder then a normal blu-ray player and if I'm watching a movie is should be very still. Well see around December what the prices of the blu-ray players will do.

I've read it, but the PS3 is louder then a normal blu-ray player and if I'm watching a movie is should be very still. Well see around December what the prices of the blu-ray players will do.

I can't hear my PS3 from a foot away. Not sure about others, but mine runs almost silent. Although I do have a very loud surround sound system :lol

Back