Sphero BB-8

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the UK i ordered both from disneystore.co.uk at 12:01 on Friday and arrived the next day.
The Disney version has a rubber wheel underneath and just randomly moves about,The head rotates and he seems a lot more animated than sphero complete with built in sounds and blue LED eye, Not bad for £30.

Some interesting info here:
Someone Hacked Open Sphero's BB-8 To See How It Works Inside

More info on the Disney version:
It Turns Out There's a Much Cheaper Interactive BB-8 That Rolls and Talks Too

..can't seam to find that Disney version no where

Where did u get the Disney version? Not the sphero...

I didn't get the Disney version. I was able to get the Target/Hasbro version (in addition to the Sphero.)

@brettb has the UK/Disney version.

OK @MYC, I think we have a winner for a 1:4 scale candidate (or at least very close to one.)

@brettb's find, which is the UK Disney's Exclusive/Interaction version, based on his description and the photo he provided (see below,) it really does look a lot bigger than what a 1:4 scale might look like. As @DBoz said, this does look like a 1:3 scale.

bb8-1-3scale.jpg

Now, the Target/Hasbro version which I got today, does look very similar to the ones compared in the photos which @MYC's and @DBoz's had posted (re-posted respectively, below.)

bb8-and-r2d2.jpg

storm-bb8.jpg

So here are my photos of the Target/Hasbro BB-8, next to 1/4 PF Stormtrooper and 1/4 PF R2-D2, with the Sphero BB-8 next to it, for comparison. As you can see, the size is very similar, if not the same as those actual photos.

target-bb8.jpg

The quality of this Target/Hasbro version, obviously isn't as good as the Sphero, but for a display 1/4 scale model, it's very close to how R2-D2 looks and feels, in person. The Target/Hasbro version also has weathering and dirt effect on it, unlike the Sphero one, which is in pristine condition, aesthetically.

Last edited:
...The hasbro does look good.. but Im not sure if it looks a bit toyish?? maybe some weathering will make it near perfect.. what about the size ? is it close to 1/4 ? Seams to big for me..?

IMHO, the size of the Hasbro/Target one is 99.9% 1:4 scale. I just took a photo similar to the one from the SW Celebration so that you can compare them respectively. The Disney one is definitely big, but this one does look the right size. Also, in person, to me, it doesn't look toyish, but that's relative to what you're comparing against. For example, if I look at the Sideshow's PF R2-D2 without its companion, C-3P0, and without its base, that to me will look no less toyish than the Hasbro/Target BB-8. It does have some weathering effect applied to it, but to your point, if you add your own personal/expert weathering touch up, I think it will look even better, if not perfect!

Here's the photo I just took compared to the SW Celeb. photo:

bb8-vs-real.jpg

The quality of this Target/Hasbro version, obviously isn't as good as the Sphero, but for a display 1/4 scale model, it's very close to how R2-D2 looks and feels, in person. The Target/Hasbro version also has weathering and dirt effect on it, unlike the Sphero one, which is in pristine condition, aesthetically.

So does that mean, this Spherco BB-8 can be considered 1/6 scale?

So does that mean, this Spherco BB-8 can be considered 1/6 scale?

The Sphero BB-8 is more of a 1:7 scale (or somewhere between 1:6 and 1:7). Sphero is smaller than how a 1:6 scale is expected to look, in comparison.

Source(s): I compared my 1:4 scale Sideshow PF Stormtrooper standing next to my 1:4 scale Hasbro/Target BB-8, against my 1:6 scale Gentle Giant Trooper standing next to the Sphero BB-8.

I think this thread just convinced me that I need a BB-8 Sphero to be on my shelf next to my 1/6 R2, R5 and eventually R2-Q5 :O

So I went ahead and bought the sphero BB8, It's awesome!!! Very cool. And to think for $170 the amount of bang for your buck (remote control, app with features etc) makes you think about all that money you spend on sideshow toys like R2 that just sit there! LOL. I'll Give R2 credit, he's amazing, but for that amount of money would've been nice for it to be remote controlled. But I suppose SSC is not a tech company. Makes me want to mod it myself!

Anyways BB8 displays nicely next to 1/6 R2. You can FEEL that it is a touch small but it doesn't bother much. I just wish it was weathered like the larger hasbro version, the clean polished look next to the sideshow 1/6 R2 makes it look a little too new side by side.... But nevertheless very cool! Here is a little video I took

https://instagram.com/p/79Ssw0NFQJ/?taken-by=jcfett

Hey BB-8 had to be new at some point so maybe he just rolled off the manufacturing plant floor ;)

Looking forward to getting mine as well. I think I'll have a lot of fun with him.

So I went ahead and bought the sphero BB8, It's awesome!!! Very cool. And to think for $170 the amount of bang for your buck (remote control, app with features etc) makes you think about all that money you spend on sideshow toys like R2 that just sit there! LOL. I'll Give R2 credit, he's amazing, but for that amount of money would've been nice for it to be remote controlled. But I suppose SSC is not a tech company. Makes me want to mod it myself!

Anyways BB8 displays nicely next to 1/6 R2. You can FEEL that it is a touch small but it doesn't bother much. I just wish it was weathered like the larger hasbro version, the clean polished look next to the sideshow 1/6 R2 makes it look a little too new side by side.... But nevertheless very cool! Here is a little video I took

https://instagram.com/p/79Ssw0NFQJ/?taken-by=jcfett
That's awesome! :hi5:

Back