soooo..do you ever get jealous of others' collections?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jealous or envy?

• jealous

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • envious

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
I'm not jealous nor envious of others collections! I enjoy watching other people's collections (that is why I post in other people's collection threads), and if I like one of their items, I'll try getting it myself. I learn a lot from other collectors, regarding new items, ways of displaying collectibles and so on.

No, I'm happy for them. Jealousy/envy is such a selfish mentality. It's horrible to with someone else's good fortune is your own, we should be happy for them instead of sad for ourselves.

Never felt either way. If i know I will never get that piece I just enjoy the pictures. If it weren't for those collections that inspired me to save and try to acquire the items I really wanted; I'd be a much wealthier man with a happier wife and more time for my family:pj/k kind of. So, inspiration is huge on this hobby and I thank those brothers and sisters for sharing their amazing collections!:clap

Jealous...Envious...Yes!
A lot of people here have fantastic collections and displays, while mine is mediocre at best.
"Embarrassed" should be added because thats how I feel after viewing some of these great collections then looking at mine! :slap :lol

This is the nail on the head. The space / display can make or break the collection IMO.

I shelf full of 1/4 scale PFs displays the same cluttered look as a smaller shelf full of action figures IMO.
You have to separate and acknowledge surrounding, lighting, display and composition if you want to separate yourself from "the collector geek" to "you have some cool stuff,man."

If you truly want a cool looking collection, but dont have a lot of space, you will end up on the geek side if you buy every piece you want with disregard to display space available.
I struggle with it myself... :monkey1....:monkey1

Well said! I love collections that "breathe." Like "Catch's" and "Andy's". Very well organized and thought out. Its tough for me to spend money on lighting and acrylic (framing for my art...lol)...etc, but it really does make or break a nice display.

My Star Wars collection from Sideshow is pretty big.
I have all the 1:6 scale figures that have been released to date.
I have quite a few life size busts.
I'm jealous of people who have more room and space than I do.
I'm also jealous of their display cabinets,mine are on open shelves.
I wish I had the room & money for nice cabinets.

I agree that the display is important.
I have crappy bookshelves for mine which is fine for the time being since many I do not open, but for the figures which are loose, the only "pro" to my ugly bookshelves is the potential for a larger diorama background.

Depends on what aspect you are talking about. I only know of two people who have a larger collection than I do...Steve Sansweet and my local collecting buddy. So as far as what I or others have...no.

On the other hand...my entire collection is in storage. When I finally get it displayed the way I want to, I will have nothing to be jealous or envious about.

However...until then...I am jealous/envious of anyone with a nice display...but only in a mild, good-natured way.

I'm not jealous nor envious of others collections! I enjoy watching other people's collections (that is why I post in other people's collection threads), and if I like one of their items, I'll try getting it myself. I learn a lot from other collectors, regarding new items, ways of displaying collectibles and so on.
Nicely put dude - that's my vibe too. :duff

I have a small focus, so I know how I want my set up to develop over time. I enjoying checking things out on the boards though - & discovering / applying cool ideas to my plans along the way if they suit. :)

The only thing I ever get jealous is the imagination and talent of customizers. We have some absolute geniuses on this board and I wish I had a lick of their talent. That's the only time I ever get envious per se...

I feel the same way....I freakin need a locked mancave....20 month old repoed my original:pfft:

I'm in the same boat here. Now my wife whats a bigger house and I imediatley thought of my own collection room. We shal see. :lol

I don't get jealous with other's collections cause i've got one also "simple and contented". Its just a matter of perspective. I do love seeing other's people collection but i would rather much love having a food to eat and shelter to provide for my family and paying for monthly bills and still be able to save up for our future than rather getting figure related to being jelous or envious with other peoples collection. Every collection of a person is a unique way either be a good set up or what not. As much as an individual, i am still blessed to be somehow be able just to appreciate others people collection. Maslow's hieararchy of needs.

Last edited:
Back