SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully my Takara Batman is holding together I've seen nightmare pics of it splitting maybe from people over posing it who knows...but dam us collectors treat these things with great care and they still fall apart.

You guys should buy polystone statues.

Last edited:
Did anyone check the rubber on the joints? There are also rubber parts on there. Maybe it's just the dome, wich would be weird. Will have to check on mine.

Did anyone check the rubber on the joints? There are also rubber parts on there. Maybe it's just the dome, wich would be weird. Will have to check on mine.

My rubber on the joints are perfectly fine - its just the dome and how they applied the rubber - the choice of rubber was a stupid idea anyways wasn't it hard the dome on the real ED????

I have seen this type of rubber used before on other products. It looks like the rubber was stamped to give it texture, and stretched tightly over the dome. Who knows what kind of industrial glue they had to use to prevent melting both the plastic and the rubber.

I would suspect that this is a problem of using that crappy, textured foam rubber and stretching it using substandard glue. It created too much stress on the rubber. I don't think you will see this much on other figures, unless they are stretched to stressful limits and left there.

I have seen this type of rubber used before on other products. It looks like the rubber was stamped to give it texture, and stretched tightly over the dome. Who knows what kind of industrial glue they had to use to prevent melting both the plastic and the rubber.

I would suspect that this is a problem of using that crappy, textured foam rubber and stretching it using substandard glue. It created too much stress on the rubber. I don't think you will see this much on other figures, unless they are stretched to stressful limits and left there.

Sounds plausible.

Are HT muscle-bodies overtly stretched? Haven't got any yet.

Sounds plausible.

Are HT muscle-bodies overtly stretched? Haven't got any yet.

I would say so looking at the aliens marine drake figure.
I definitely can't lift any part of his arms up there certainly stretched to a certain extent. Hes been in a cupboard unboxed for about 4 months and hes fine touch wood.
Something tells me this has alot to do with the temperature.

I am far from an expert, but I think the type of rubber used on the dome is open-cell foam rubber. It is the same stuff they use on the bottom of mousepads. If someone here who has one of these can compare the rubber to a mousepad, they can confirm this. It is that spongy foam rubber that has a slight give to it when pressed. It looks like they used a thin layer of it to cover the dome here.

If you do a google search for "foam rubber breakdown" and variations thereof, you will find articles about this stuff breaking down over time. I even found an article discussing the use of glues with this material, and how it isn't a perfect science. :rolleyes:

I don't have many of these figures to compare, but I would suspect that any components made from foam rubber are going to have more problems than components made from closed-cell rubber. Closed-cell rubber is the stuff that they make wetsuits and tire inner-tubes out of. It comes in sheets and can be treated like fabric to some extent. This is the type of rubber that some of the "bodysuits" on action figures appear to be made out of. This is the type of rubber that has less breakdown problems over time.

I think this ED-209 problem is caused by glue reaction breaking down an already volatile rubber product. I could be completely off base though, because I don't own one of these to see it for myself.

Can anyone tell me how many figures use spongy, open-cell type foam rubber? Is there a mix of spongy components, and thinner "inner tube" type rubber on these figures?

That is what I tried to say earlier but I think everyone is hitting the panic button on some of the other rubberized figures. The dome rubber is just stretched to tight on the ED-209 and it is a different type of foamy rubber than what the suits are made of.

I also have a Takara Batman and that is fine, so is my HT Robocop.

^^^^ the HT ED-209 then, he must go. Or i must find something to replace the dome, although i'm not that crafty regarding these things.

:horror:horror looks like I better stop hanging my HT AVP Ancient from his dreads in direct sunlight and then heating the dreads up with a hairdryer. Guess no more dipping his head in the deep fryer either.

damn you HT , we can't even have fun with our $500 action figures!:confused:

Come to think of it, I have had to repair more Hot Toys products than anything else in my collection. I've always given them a sort of a pass, though, because I consider theor pieces like art but damn, this is reaching epidemic proportions. I know the worst thing for me was when my HT Alien Warrior came and I opened it...arm fell right off. I could not belive it and what's worse; noone involed in the transaction would back up the product. I ended up having to settle for the repaint version as a replacement in the end.

I skip buying the 3 HT Appleseed Figures and HT Davy Jones because I have had bad experiences with the HT muscular bodies. And yes, my ED209 is going through the same "breakdown process" that you guys are seeing. And I can tell you it may have nothing to do witth "dryness" because I stay in Malaysia where it is very humid.

Initially, I thought my ED209's problems had to do with a humid environment. Now that I see you guys also having the same problems despite living in a "dry" environment, I am beginning to suspect that the breakdown is due to product design issues especially the use of the rubber materials; cheap rubber materials.

I am far from an expert, but I think the type of rubber used on the dome is open-cell foam rubber. It is the same stuff they use on the bottom of mousepads. If someone here who has one of these can compare the rubber to a mousepad, they can confirm this. It is that spongy foam rubber that has a slight give to it when pressed. It looks like they used a thin layer of it to cover the dome here.

It is similar to mouse pad foam, but it is definitely a denser rubber compound than foam, and the open cell nature of the product is more to give it the right texture than part of the manufacturing process.

There are too many varieties of plastics/foam/rubber products. Identifying one accurately is pretty much a stab in the dark. I haven't had any problems with rubber, other than the soles of my workboots. The soles completely hydrolised. The surface became a sticky mess and under the surface was a spongey crumbling compound. That happens when they aren't stored correctly. In this case it was because I didn't wear them often enough. That type of rubber needs torment to keep it in good order and resist decomposure. I thought to myself 'crazy applying that to a work boot', but it has a high resistance to slip and chemicals. I know it has nothing to do with figures but it just shows how things have changed over the years with new forms being produced for specific purposes.

Anyway, I've had my Ed on display since he came out and mines all good. I thank my lucky stars, and for drawing this to my attention. We may not be able to do anything about it but being aware is better than noticing after the fact.

Here's my two cents, whatever it's worth.

I have owned the Rambo First Blood Part II figure, and the Batman Begins figure since they both came out. Both have been displayed out of box and in a smoke filled environment.
Neither have any issues, and are just as poseable as they were right out of the box. Trust me, I play with these two, quite a bit.

Also, as a 3 year reader, and recent registrant, I'd like to take this opportunity to salute you Shai, and only you, as being by and far the biggest ass on this board. Always the negative and condescending word from you, eh?

Back