SON OF A *****! HT ED-209 falling apart!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the hell are we all going to do if our Predators are bald in 10 years time? :confused: The dreadlocks are sort of an important feature of the predator.

My Ed-209 hasn't had holes start to appear in the rubber but it did start peeling away from the plastic rim at the top.

ARMORALL IS A BIG NO NO !!!!!! it breaks polymers down over time.

get a strait liquid silicone lubricant if you feel or see the need of it. otherwise leave them alone. i know dryer climates might require that but in that case i would go for a small humidifier in your room or wherever you keep your stuff at.

Last edited:
What the hell are we all going to do if our Predators are bald in 10 years time? :confused: The dreadlocks are sort of an important feature of the predator.

My Ed-209 hasn't had holes start to appear in the rubber but it did start peeling away from the plastic rim at the top.

I'm thinking about selling my ED-209 now.

And yes predators need their dreads, HT is starting to feel like some cheap crap company.

What's under the rubber mesh?

If it wears out, maybe there's some kind of new mesh or styrene (painted black) workaround.

If the entire thing or 50 percent of it was rubber ( like the Alien Warriors ), then I'd worry a ton. But it's one component on an item that is otherwise 90 percent plastic.

A functional workaround has to exist.

GG

Yeah but the robo has rubber parts that can't be replaced.

Someone tell Pjam. He 'rubs the lotion' on his Aliens.

Thing is, Natrix said it's a climate controlled room with an air conditioner. Now air conditioners suck the moisture out of the air. Makes it very dry. The rubber is having all the moisture sucked out of it...so it becomes brittle and dry. You need to moisturize the rubber somehow. Even a wipe once in a while with a damp cloth.

Well the house is air conditioned not just the room plus I have a house humidifier so it is not like it is overly dry in the house.

Well the house is air conditioned not just the room plus I have a house humidifier so it is not like it is overly dry in the house.

Well your robo is still ok atleast, wich one is the more recent in your collection? Got any other HT figs with rubber parts? Maybe it's just the ED-209.

This is all very worrying. I'm not sure I should be buying such expensive figures that use rubber if they're all destined to disintegrate like the OPs Ed-209 headcover.

When I first posted in this thread that mine had no rot I actually hadn't looked - I've now discovered that there is a small amount beginning to the left and right of the facial vent. Barely noticeable at the moment but I'd like it not to get worse.

I too would really like assurances that this kind of thing could be addressed by Hot toys.

Yeah but the robo has rubber parts that can't be replaced.

Eh, might try replacing with vinyl parts from Horizon's Robocop kit if the rubber in Robo starts breaking down. The ED's a little different, but might still be repairable with some work. If you're going to get rid of your ED cheap Natrix, let me know.

I'm not sure if Hot Toys will address it on a discontinued product like ED, but I'd like to think they would.

Eh, might try replacing with vinyl parts from Horizon's Robocop kit if the rubber in Robo starts breaking down. The ED's a little different, but might still be repairable with some work. If you're going to get rid of your ED cheap Natrix, let me know.

I'm not sure if Hot Toys will address it on a discontinued product like ED, but I'd like to think they would.

I am not going to get rid of it. If it gets worse, I will try get some black fabric like they use on speaker covers and replace the rubber with that.

just checked mine. Its not breaking down per se but its begun peeling away from the edges. This sucks. Btw anyone know how or think its a good idea to get in touch with HT regarding this issue

just checked mine. Its not breaking down per se but its begun peeling away from the edges. This sucks. Btw anyone know how or think its a good idea to get in touch with HT regarding this issue

By email on their site. Yes it's a good idea, they listen. Maybe you can link them to this thread.

Last edited:
ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

A good thing to always keep in mind, especially when plunking down hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something. Nothing we own will last forever or is immune to deterioration. It all fades/crumbles/falls apart sooner or later. It just sucks when its "sooner." Sorry to hear about ED.

I have about 5 HT aliens still MIB. I'm scared to go look at them. I assumed that they would be ok in an air conditioned house. I figured that the rubber would eventually dry out, but not in a few months or even years. This sucks. Why do $5 toys from 1985 still not crumbling apart? You can find he-man figures that are thrown in someones garage and they still look normal. I think the he-man heads were rubber. and I just spend $200 on HT predalien:horror:horror:horror:horrorwhy why why???? aahhhhhh:horror:horror:horror

edit:
hemanfigure.jpg

When I was a kid, I had these heman figures thrown in a basket and didn't have to rub lotion on their heads!
This is how it goes, I guess. We now have these ultra realistic (and ridiculously priced) "toys" that you can't touch or move because the arms fall off or get loose. Then you go inspect them after a year and they are rotting apart! sorry for rant. this just pissed me off!

oh and this isnt just HT only. I have had dozens of figures from Mcfarlane and Neca that were broken once removed from their ties in the packaging.

Last edited:
I have about 5 HT aliens still MIB. I'm scared to go look at them. I assumed that they would be ok in an air conditioned house. I figured that the rubber would eventually dry out, but not in a few months or even years. This sucks. Why do $5 toys from 1985 still not crumbling apart? You can find he-man figures that are thrown in someones garage and they still look normal. I think the he-man heads were rubber. and I just spend $200 on HT predalien:horror:horror:horror:horrorwhy why why???? aahhhhhh:horror:horror:horror

edit:
hemanfigure.jpg

When I was a kid, I had these heman figures thrown in a basket and didn't have to rub lotion on their heads!
This is how it goes, I guess. We now have these ultra realistic (and ridiculously priced) "toys" that you can't touch or move because the arms fall off or get loose. Then you go inspect them after a year and they are rotting apart! sorry for rant. this just pissed me off!

oh and this isnt just HT only. I have had dozens of figures from Mcfarlane and Neca that were broken once removed from their ties in the packaging.

I totally agree with your post. It is ridiculous that horrible cheap toys will outlast 150$ figures.

Back