So what are the ranks of the SW fan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say--diehard, I think about Star Wars constantly, all of the websites I look at are for Star Wars. I say TPM a month after it came out (before the obsession), then I saw AOTC a few days after it came out (during the obsession) (I was really mad I had to miss the midnight opening) and I went to the Midnight Opening of ROTS---and I would have camped out if it wasn't for that I had classes earlier that day that I couldn't miss. And---if I had a costume, I would wear it. Hmmm, I just realized, every surface in my room has more than one Star Wars item on it. What's funny now is that my obsession is getting worse, now that I'm getting Sideshow stuff and MR stuff.

I was also happy today when in Band we got to play The Flag Parade from TPM just for fun--we sucked but it was still fun.

im going to make up my own category--- Hard Core!!! to the point that i argued darth vader/ anakin's defense to another guy in my class. (he's another sci-fi nerd)

~~his argument was that Anakin was the greatest evil in the entire Star Wars universe.

~~my argument was that he was the most powerful evil that was created by a greater force (no pun intended). :emperor

I used to be a diehard but the poor quality of the prequels,crappy repacked Hasbro figures and a few other things had lowered my level of intrest in SW almost to zero for a while especially on the collecting side of things. Sideshow's figures have rekindled my intrest in collecting but not to the extent I once did and though I'll always have a soft spot for the OT I'm not much more than casual fan now.

Hey, where's the "I Just love the toys" kind of fan category? Or is that heretical?

I think to qualify for the highest rank you have to either:

1. Have dressed up at some convention or, better yet, for no good reason.
2. Have a lot of items that go beyond collecting (toilet paper, pez dispensers, mail away figures from cereal boxes)
3. Know trivia like star systems, all models of ships and life forms, family trees.
4. At some point have had an heated argument about the Expanded Universe having relevance to the saga

Darklord Dave said:
So what are the ranks of the SW fan?

-Diehard
-Casually Ardent
-Passively interested
-Hater

I'm sure there others inbetween those...how would you classify yourself?

(thanks to Customikey for the thread idea)

I'm Casually Ardent (I like that word 'ardent' - sounds all grown-up and stuff) :duff

I am passively interested.
I won't die if I don't get a figure
but I am disappointed if I don't.

I am also "casually ardent". I grew up with Star Wars as a kid. I remember my parents taking my brother and I to see 'Return of the Jedi' and then the next day off to the toy store and loaded up on Kenner figures of Darth Vader, Yoda, Boba-Fett, Luke, Han Solo, etc.

As I got older I collected here and there. I saw 'The Phanton Menace' about 5 times in the theatres.

I'm not a HUGE Star Wars fan, but, I do love the story and movies. I am HUGE Lord of the Rings fan, so when I compare the two I know I am not "die-hard" for SW like I am for LOTR.

I always wanted to collect a Star Wars line from the beginning and enjoy it, and the Sideshow 12" line is perfect for me.

I am very much looking forward to collecting these and hopefully alot of "OTC" characters will get done.

So, yea I am a "casually ardent" fan....maybe a tad above.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I think to qualify for the highest rank you have to either:

1. Have dressed up at some convention or, better yet, for no good reason.
2. Have a lot of items that go beyond collecting (toilet paper, pez dispensers, mail away figures from cereal boxes)
3. Know trivia like star systems, all models of ships and life forms, family trees.
4. At some point have had an heated argument about the Expanded Universe having relevance to the saga

hmmm....sounds too much like me already.. Guess I am a nut. I have actually had conversations about the relevance of Expanded Universe characters such as Xizor or Grand Admiral Thrawn.... And I did have a Trooper costume at one point. Will probably get a Jedi costume when MR gets around to releasing that ROTS Obi-Wan they had planned (I hope)

I'm such a nerd.:monkey1

I used to fall under casually ardent - Loved watching the movies (original), read some of the novels, collected figures, went to celebration 2 (though I wouldn't have if it hadn't been so close to where I live).

Now I'm passively interested. With the prequels my love for it pretty much died out and I'm no longer collecting anything SW. I still love the original trilogy and own it, but I'm not even going to be purchasing any of Sideshow's Star Wars figures. Funds and other areas of interest decided it for me.

"Hard-f'ing-core-gonna-sell-a-kidney-to-buy-some-toys-sickness"

That's a catagory, right?

:emperor

Hard core about the movies and getting that way about the toys. I may have to leave work early if I don't get Sith Anakin next Friday because I'll be a little more than pissed. I'm not a completist but that's mainly because of money so I don't think that's fair to factor into the decision. I watch all the movies, including the Clone Wars, about every 6-8 weeks or so. I've read some EU stuff but plan on reading A LOT more (I'm in the middle of the LOTR books right now). Hell, anyone on here talking about it has to be somewhat hardcore right?

Booyah! said:
I hear that! Ditto.

I agree as well... I'll be super pissed. I'm gonna be at work with my finger on that refresh button, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Best of luck to us all!!!

...we're gonna need it.

Back