so i just got this in the but

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man if that's a knockoff, it's the best i've ever seen. Who would take the time to do that? Either way, I hope it works out in your favor. Good luck!

Reproducing the statue is one thing, but to reproduce the display box, Sideshow Exclusive sticker and everything, seems like a huge task! Not that it couldn't be done... heck, even hologram stickers used for authenticity have been copied. This one looks legit to me, but if it does somehow turn out to be a knockoff, then I will be leery of ever paying a high price again, as you would never know if you were getting the original or a knockoff.

And on a side note... and this is not to start a debate or anything, just a curious question... during discussions about edition numbers and edition sizes, the argument always comes up that we should be collecting for the look and the love of the piece, not the number or the value. While I agree for the most part, does this mean that if a knockoff can't be distinguished from the original, then it is just as good in your collection, since one is collecting for the love of the piece?

These items are made overseas so they have every resource already at their disposal to reproduce almost the same exact statue even down to the box.

AS far as collecting for the look goes and not the value I have to say that these two are inseparable. Collectibles are produced in limited numbers and to own one means you not only purchased a statue that you like the look of but also a spot on the roster of owners. To own a fake is to feel like a fake in my opinion. Sure it may look the same but you know that you are not one of the 500 or however many the limited run included.

lcummins said:
Reproducing the statue is one thing, but to reproduce the display box, Sideshow Exclusive sticker and everything, seems like a huge task! Not that it couldn't be done... heck, even hologram stickers used for authenticity have been copied. This one looks legit to me, but if it does somehow turn out to be a knockoff, then I will be leery of ever paying a high price again, as you would never know if you were getting the original or a knockoff.

And on a side note... and this is not to start a debate or anything, just a curious question... during discussions about edition numbers and edition sizes, the argument always comes up that we should be collecting for the look and the love of the piece, not the number or the value. While I agree for the most part, does this mean that if a knockoff can't be distinguished from the original, then it is just as good in your collection, since one is collecting for the love of the piece?

Now I guess this would depend on how much you pay for the piece. For example, the Bowen Batman on Gargoyle can could up to $600 whereas a copy that looks identical can cost $50......

is it possible the other guy has the same number of the non-exclusive version?
have you seen pics of his?
maybe the other one is the knock-off ...

El Roranous said:
These items are made overseas so they have every resource already at their disposal to reproduce almost the same exact statue even down to the box.

AS far as collecting for the look goes and not the value I have to say that these two are inseparable. Collectibles are produced in limited numbers and to own one means you not only purchased a statue that you like the look of but also a spot on the roster of owners. To own a fake is to feel like a fake in my opinion. Sure it may look the same but you know that you are not one of the 500 or however many the limited run included.

OK, playing Devil's Advocate for the moment... suppose the knockoffs are made (illegally) in the same factory, using the same molds, by the same people... other than the legality of it being copied, it is identical to the originals... isn't it the number on the bottom that then makes the difference?

Don't get me wrong or anything, I thoroughly dislike fakes, knockoffs, and reproductions and think it is morally and criminally wrong to do it. And personally, I couldn't have a fake in my collection, no matter how good it looked, because I would always know it was a fake. My discussion is just to understand collectors, a bit more...

lcummins said:
OK, playing Devil's Advocate for the moment... suppose the knockoffs are made (illegally) in the same factory, using the same molds, by the same people... other than the legality of it being copied, it is identical to the originals... isn't it the number on the bottom that then makes the difference?

Don't get me wrong or anything, I thoroughly dislike fakes, knockoffs, and reproductions and think it is morally and criminally wrong to do it. And personally, I couldn't have a fake in my collection, no matter how good it looked, because I would always know it was a fake. My discussion is just to understand collectors, a bit more...
I know where you are coming from. I feel the same way as you do about fakes and reproductions. Personally, I wouldn't really feel comfortable as a serious collector to display the fake statues in my collection. I feel as though fakes hurt the industry as well. So even if it was produced by the same people in the same factory as the original, I would still feel a little scammed. Yes it is only a number but why do collectors pay so much for statues in the first place? The look of a piece as well as the rarity. Rare sells because it makes collectors feel special and like they are a part of a small and cohesive group. Look at the grey Hulk for instatnce. I like the Grey color but we all know the true Hulk is green. What about all those different variations of the Spiderman PF? Collectors are paying premiums for rarity.

El Roranous said:
This is a big problem in my opinion. Not that I know that yours is a knock off or anything but every few months there is a surge of these super rare items that suddenly become available from over there. These fakes, if they are fakes, devalue the originals. Very suspicious in my opinion.
Yes i agree!! like right now there was a surge of Hulk dios! the guy had 6 all from Hong Kong! its wierd thats why i dont buy from over there plus shipping is insane cause its on the other side of the world and less time traveling less damage posability!!

p!tu said:
Yes i agree!! like right now there was a surge of Hulk dios! the guy had 6 all from Hong Kong! its wierd thats why i dont buy from over there plus shipping is insane cause its on the other side of the world and less time traveling less damage posability!!
That is exactly what I am talking about. How does some seller have six of a rare item so late in the game? It is very fishy to me. Next thing you know there'll be a surge of 14 grey Hulks on ebay from Hong Kong!:confused:

El Roranous said:
That is exactly what I am talking about. How does some seller have six of a rare item so late in the game? It is very fishy to me. Next thing you know there'll be a surge of 14 grey Hulks on ebay from Hong Kong!:confused:
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl The sad thing your probably right!!!

Did you buy this off Benbenchu aka Wizkids Games Flea Market. I've was watching one of his auctions for an exclusive then noticed he keeps relisitng after they sell. He's gone through about 2 dozen of these in the last couple of weeks. I was thinking of bidding but that is just a little to suspicious for my taste. Here's a link to one of his current auctions for IM.

https://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330110414907&rd=1&rd=1

If he is selling this many fakes, he definitely needs to be reported.

Nightwings said:
Did you buy this off Benbenchu aka Wizkids Games Flea Market. I've was watching one of his auctions for an exclusive then noticed he keeps relisitng after they sell. He's gone through about 2 dozen of these in the last couple of weeks. I was thinking of bidding but that is just a little to suspicious for my taste. Here's a link to one of his current auctions for IM.

https://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330110414907&rd=1&rd=1

If he is selling this many fakes, he definitely needs to be reported.

yes thats who i bought it from.. i know somone else thats has purchased one from him as well. he asked the seller about the statues number but the seller said the iron mans are sealed and would not open them to see the number.

Wow. If this is a knockoff then its the Mona Lisa of all Knockoffs....The base, the box, the sticker this guy really put a lot of effort into it if it is. I'm interested to see what the final outcome of all of this is.

As for the question posed before about having a knockoff in my collection, I wouldn't go out and search for knockoffs to save a buck or two but if one was done as well as for argument's sake this one was and I found out it was one after the fact I wouldn't care at all. I just want the piece in my collection and looking at it I wouldn't have any distaste for it at all. I'd be upfront and admit it was a knockoff but I wouldn't exile it from my collection at all. Personally, I could care less about numbers, editions, runs or whatever I just want the piece and want it from the actual company itself but I will admit for the price I'm assuming was paid for an Iron Man Comiquette SSC Excl that is what would get me.

The Mike said:
Wow. If this is a knockoff then its the Mona Lisa of all Knockoffs....The base, the box, the sticker this guy really put a lot of effort into it if it is. I'm interested to see what the final outcome of all of this is.

Thats what im thinking to...
I just cant see someone making knock offs going to this amount of Detail..

If you look at the guys Feedback a check the item the FB was left for he has a lot of IM and Hulk dios!!! that crazy!!

I used to get fake throw back jerseys from korea. They were 1 to 1 lables tages they even had fake prices on them. These jersey retialed for 250.00 they cost in korea 15.00!.... They were perfect copies... im not surprised that if this were a fake, that just how good they are a creating them. I personally would not buy anything for HK.... or china.

That's the thing that had me thinking of getting one at first was his feedback. Then I noticed all the pieces he was selling of the same thing, and I found it strange that one person could have so many exclusives of the same piece.

yeah overseas copies of products arent uncommon.
I have friends who travel abroad for business and one in particular brings back dirt cheap Callaway Golf Club copies that are exactly the same as the real deal. Made in thwe same factory and everything, but w/o the Callaway logo on them to avoid the copyright issues.

it even seems people are aware this goes on and cant really do much to stop it.
They just limit you to only purchase 1 set.

Is it possible that you have the exclusive number 284 / 500 and your friend as the Regular edition 284 / 750? This one just looks too good to be a knock off unless the seller is getting them from the same factory as SS. Also International dealers unlike US dealers if I understand it correctly do get to order Exclusives at wholesale. So it is not impossible for a seller to have several of the same piece that is an exclusive if they are outside the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back