Statue Snow Troll Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit that if this troll was not holding the dwarf, I might have been tempted to keep my order...

Yeah that I think that was a stipulation by the game company and not the sculptor's choice. He wasn't hot on that idea either.

I would say it's fairly obviously not based on the film, so if you're only collecting film-related collectibles, you wouldn't see this as part of the maquette line. It's a statue of something from a video game released for publicity reasons, or SS just thought it'd be cool to do a statue of it. Now, if they're doing statues of computer game characters, bring on Tom Bombadil!

Yeah that I think that was a stipulation by the game company and not the sculptor's choice. He wasn't hot on that idea either.

Didn't seem to be an issue to Andy at all in the video. I'd actually lean that he thought it was pretty cool.

I will admit that if this troll was not holding the dwarf, I might have been tempted to keep my order...

Totally agree, I think if the dwarf wasnt there I would have been more inclined to go after this. Still an awesome piece but thats enough for me to 2nd guess myself about putting the money on this guy. Like I said somewhere down the road maybe, but hes just not a priority at the moment.

Totally agree, I think if the dwarf wasnt there I would have been more inclined to go after this. Still an awesome piece but thats enough for me to 2nd guess myself about putting the money on this guy. Like I said somewhere down the road maybe, but hes just not a priority at the moment.

Totally agree with both of you. If he wasn't holding the dwarf (which obviously doesn't match the scale of Gimli), I might get him too. But, not with that glaringly obvious detail.

The Dwarf isn't in the same scale as Gimli because the Troll isn't in the same scale. As I said earlier if the Troll was in the same scale he'd be at least LSF size and thats without it being 1:2. The Dwarf as is looks great with the Troll.

I have been back and forth on whether or not I want to order this ever since it has been offered, and I have finally decided to pass on this statue. I love the trolls in the Lord of the Rings, but the fact that this is a videogame character seals it for me. If this troll were in the movies, I would be all over it. I love the sculpt and the pose, and it is a terrific statue, but I am going to have to keep my collection to film characters only.

With Sauron and ROWS PF on the horizon one wonders why bother with a piece like this. Unless it is very limited it may very well be picked up for a song down the road. Josh didn't you say you used points for this? Why not save the points and put toward the RWOS PF that you said you were passing on due to cost? That's like 1/3 the price right there. Anyway, its funny how the gamer thing rears its head with this statue. I'm a geek but not a gamer, sounds like a t-shirt.

I bothered even with those coming because I think the Troll statue look freaking awesome. I think its a great representation of the how some of the Trolls in Middle-Earth might look. I did. Well, one thing is you have to look at how many points you will be losing by using your points. I saved $150 on this troll and lost out on 175 points basically breaking even. If I used those points on either of those two I'd be losing a lot more than $175 points. I will be making every effort to get both those items assuming the flex pays on both are within range. Well, as a Ringer, Geek, and Gamer this piece is a home run. Plus I've seen it in person to know how much of one it is for me.

I have been back and forth on whether or not I want to order this ever since it has been offered, and I have finally decided to pass on this statue. I love the trolls in the Lord of the Rings, but the fact that this is a videogame character seals it for me. If this troll were in the movies, I would be all over it. I love the sculpt and the pose, and it is a terrific statue, but I am going to have to keep my collection to film characters only.

I agree with everything you said there Chris :wave...but I still could not resist it :cuckoo:

:duff
Bill

I forgot about the opportunity cost math. I don't order from SS directly (rarely if ever, gimli ex is my only piece) so I assume if you use points for a partial purchase you get NO points for the remainder?

Last edited:
That is correct. So you have to be sure to use at least 5% of the cost of the item if you use reward points, or you are not making a good deal of it. But usually I find it more advantageous to save them to knock off a good chunk of a bigger purchase, or at least to get a smaller item for free. Not that I've ever been able to save that many. So far, I've only received the Alien Big Chap Hot Toys figure for free, and used all the rest I had recently on the Ringwraith maquette. And I still have to pay about $80 for him. But that is a nice deal, and since I'm sticking primarily to this line, thought it was logical. I never seem to need to use RPs for bigger purchases from Sideshow, because I always find the item for less from another retailer. Like the Big Chap maquette or the Jason Vorhees PF...

Didn't seem to be an issue to Andy at all in the video. I'd actually lean that he thought it was pretty cool.

Nah, he stated on the boards he preferred it without the dorf. He wouldn't say that in a Sideshow video promoting the piece.

It would probably display better with the maquette line if the dorf didn't emphasize the scale differential.

Last edited:
Nah, he stated on the boards he preferred it without the dorf. He wouldn't say that in a Sideshow video promoting the piece.

It would probably display better with the maquette line if the dorf didn't emphasize the scale differential.

That is what my point was earlier today. :goodpost:

Honestly, it wasn't something that was of an issue for me when I saw it at comic-con. The Dward needs to be inscale with the Troll not the rest of the line, because the Troll itself isn't in the same scale.

Honestly, it wasn't something that was of an issue for me when I saw it at comic-con. The Dward needs to be inscale with the Troll not the rest of the line, because the Troll itself isn't in the same scale.

I don't think anybody disagrees with that. I think what they are trying to say is by not having the dwarf in his hand, it wouldn't be so appararent in how out of scale this troll is to the rest of the maquettes. Just the troll by itself would display better as opposed to the troll w/ dwarf in his hand.

Exactly! That's exactly what I'm saying. If it was the troll by himself, he would look great with the others. However, because he has this tiny dwarf in his hand which is obviously much smaller than Gimli, that is why we think it looks weird with the rest of them.

I think it looks weird with the rest of them because he's standing on a pile of snow and ice :)

Back