Snake Plissken's Gentlemen's Club

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just hit me: Rogue One should have been Kyle Katarn's time to shine on the big screen. Maybe played by Bradley Cooper.

Rebelagent.jpg

Instead we get a tryhard 'I rebel' teenage girl.

**** you Disney. **** you.

Man.. I never thought of that. Kyle Katarn would make one heck of a protagonist - he has an amazing backstory, too. I played all of the Dark Forces games, starting with the first one from 1996, and even bought the comics.

It just hit me: Rogue One should have been Kyle Katarn's time to shine on the big screen. Maybe played by Bradley Cooper.

View attachment 257312

Instead we get a tryhard 'I rebel' teenage girl.

**** you Disney. **** you.

While I understand your opinion, I have to disagree. Felicity Jones is far from a teenager, she's 32. I think if you go in with this mindset, based on a minute and a half trailer, you're automatically going to hate it. I think it definitely deserves a fair chance. I have never understood the issue men seem to have with strong females in the sci-fi world. Despite popular belief, it isn't just a mans world. Sometimes we like a little diversity and I can't imagine having the honor of participating in any Star Wars movie as the lead, what female Star Wars fan wouldn't jump at that chance??? There are strong female characters in the EU after all.

Out of 8 SW films, 2 have strong female leads, I think there's plenty of room for a little something different. Men don't always have to take the lead, women are capable and I am by no means a feminist. I think the trailer looks awesome though.

While I understand your opinion, I have to disagree. Felicity Jones is far from a teenager, she's 32. I think if you go in with this mindset, based on a minute and a half trailer, you're automatically going to hate it. I think it definitely deserves a fair chance. I have never understood the issue men seem to have with strong females in the sci-fi world. Despite popular belief, it isn't just a mans world. Sometimes we like a little diversity and I can't imagine having the honor of participating in any Star Wars movie as the lead. Out of 8 SW films, 2 have strong female leads, I think there's plenty of room for a little something different. Men don't always have to take the lead, women are capable and I am by no means a feminist. I think the trailer looks awesome though.

this post triggered me

triggered-h3h3-gif.gif

While I understand your opinion, I have to disagree. Felicity Jones is far from a teenager, she's 32. I think if you go in with this mindset, based on a minute and a half trailer, you're automatically going to hate it. I think it definitely deserves a fair chance. I have never understood the issue men seem to have with strong females in the sci-fi world. Despite popular belief, it isn't just a mans world. Sometimes we like a little diversity and I can't imagine having the honor of participating in any Star Wars movie as the lead, what female Star Wars fan wouldn't jump at that chance??? There are strong female characters in the EU after all.

Out of 8 SW films, 2 have strong female leads, I think there's plenty of room for a little something different. Men don't always have to take the lead, women are capable and I am by no means a feminist. I think the trailer looks awesome though.

Ripley and Sarah Connor are among my favourite film characters, ever. The issue for me is tone, intention and execution: a cynical attempt at demographic-pandering to maximise audience-share and profits rather than putting the creation of a great story - or indeed, a great female lead - first and foremost. TFA is one of the worst films I've sat through in recent memory and that had very little to do with the protagonist outside of the same poor scripting that plagued every other character in the film. Moreover, the original films were an ensemble effort - a cast of mismatched, well-drawn characters playing up each other's strengths and covering for each other's weaknesses. That seems to be getting sidelined in Disney's new order in favour of identity politics.

I make the effort to reserve final judgement on films until I've actually seen them, but based on a) TFA and b) Rogue One's writers being responsible for After Earth, Twilight and The Golden Compass movie between them, and c) it being helmed by a director who previously reduced Godzilla to a bit-part in his own movie, my expectations aren't high.

Couple that with the fact I've loved Star Wars for as long as I can remember being alive, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for me to be aggrieved that Disney have chosen to take what I and many other longtime fans loved about the EU and flush it down the drain. You say yourself there were plenty of 'strong female characters' in the old EU, where are they in these films? I'd happily take Emily Blunt as Mara Jade over this.

Ripley and Sarah Connor are among my favourite film characters, ever. The issue for me is tone, intention and execution: a cynical attempt at demographic-pandering to maximise audience-share and profits rather than putting the creation of a great story - or indeed, a great female lead - first and foremost. TFA is one of the worst films I've sat through in recent memory and that had very little to do with the protagonist outside of the same poor scripting that plagued every other character in the film. Moreover, the original films were an ensemble effort - a cast of mismatched, well-drawn characters playing up each other's strengths and covering for each other's weaknesses. That seems to be getting sidelined in Disney's new order in favour of identity politics.

I make the effort to reserve final judgement on films until I've actually seen them, but based on a) TFA and b) Rogue One's writers being responsible for After Earth, Twilight and The Golden Compass movie between them, and c) it being helmed by a director who previously reduced Godzilla to a bit-part in his own movie, my expectations aren't high.

Couple that with the fact I've loved Star Wars for as long as I can remember being alive, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for me to be aggrieved that Disney have chosen to take what I and many other longtime fans loved about the EU and flush it down the drain. You say yourself there were plenty of 'strong female characters' in the old EU, where are they in these films? I'd happily take Emily Blunt as Mara Jade over this.

I liked TFA, so I can't agree on that note.

I don't disagree with you on casting or the character being portrayed. I don't particularly buy Felicity Jones in any SW role personally. I can think of a handful of actresses who would have made a much better choice. Like someone else mentioned in another thread, Tatiana Maslany would be phenomenal.

That's fine, I didn't exactly expect anyone here to agree with my opinion. lol

well ok, lets look at your post:
I have never understood the issue men seem to have with strong females in the sci-fi world.

that right there is not true because people had no problem accepting and loving Ripley in alien franchise and Sarah in terminator... Lara Croft, The Bride from Kill Bill...
some of the most beloved characters in sci fi or action are female. Video games are full of strong female characters that men have no problem with playing as. (Even Hit Girl was loved by everyone in the first movie and she was just a little kid)

So that's not really true. the problem with this new wave of "strong womyn" characters is that they are completely flawless and the strongest most smartest most perfect character in their movies, that makes for a boring character, if the character has no flaws and knows how to fix everything then what's the point? As much as The Force awakens fixed from the prequels, and as good as the actress did, The character of Rey is going to get really boring really fast if she is the best at everything.
She already beat up Kylo, What's next? where do you go from there? Isn't that even DAMAGING to little girls? to be told you are the best at everything and you will never face any obstacles because you are the greatest thing that ever lived because you happen to be female? that sounds good to you?

and then you say this
Sometimes we like a little diversity and I can't imagine having the honor of participating in any Star Wars movie as the lead.

so you mean how every single feminist SJW director like Whedon and Paul Feig only hire white women? "A Little Diversity" like that? where only white actresses are allowed? (And the occasional token minority) THAT kind of diversity you are talking about? where actresses of other races don't even get a chance?

Like i said, i got triggered

well ok, lets look at your post:
I have never understood the issue men seem to have with strong females in the sci-fi world.

that right there is not true because people had no problem accepting and loving Ripley in alien franchise and Sarah in terminator... Lara Croft, The Bride from Kill Bill...
some of the most beloved characters in sci fi or action are female. Video games are full of strong female characters that men have no problem with playing as. (Even Hit Girl was loved by everyone in the first movie and she was just a little kid)

So that's not really true. the problem with this new wave of "strong womyn" characters is that they are completely flawless and the strongest most smartest most perfect character in their movies, that makes for a boring character, if the character has no flaws and knows how to fix everything then what's the point? As much as The Force awakens fixed from the prequels, and as good as the actress did, The character of Rey is going to get really boring really fast if she is the best at everything.
She already beat up Kylo, What's next? where do you go from there? Isn't that even DAMAGING to little girls? to be told you are the best at everything and you will never face any obstacles because you are the greatest thing that ever lived because you happen to be female? that sounds good to you?

and then you say this
Sometimes we like a little diversity and I can't imagine having the honor of participating in any Star Wars movie as the lead.

so you mean how every single feminist SJW director like Whedon and Paul Feig only hire white women? "A Little Diversity" like that? where only white actresses are allowed? (And the occasional token minority) THAT kind of diversity you are talking about? where actresses of other races don't even get a chance?

Like i said, i got triggered

I'm not exactly sure why? That wasn't what I meant at all and I never said anything about how the characters were portrayed. I don't disagree there at all, I don't necessarily love the way they are written or portrayed. Obviously that needs a lot of work.
Also when I said diversity, I was just speaking about a male vs female lead. As far as racial diversity, there are a lot of changes needed as far as that goes and I am not naive to that. I didn't even touch on that subject in my post, so I don't know where you got that from? I don't think anyone should be cast in a role based on their race anyways. "Non-traditional casting" should be the norm instead of the exception.

Also when I said diversity, I was just speaking about a male vs female lead. As far as racial diversity, there are a lot of changes needed as far as that goes and I am not naive to that. I didn't even touch on that subject in my post, so I don't know where you got that from? I don't think anyone should be cast in a role based on their race anyways. "Non-traditional casting" should be the norm instead of the exception.
you are happy because they are casting more strong women, but at the same time you make it sound like strong women have never been cast in a sci fi movie, so that right there is not true, that's false, completely false.
when you say stuff like "Despite popular belief, it isn't just a mans world." you are disregarding and ignoring every single female character in the past 50 years. you make it sound like this is 1960 or something.
And then at the same time you are happy that they are casting women instead of men, but for the rest of the world, they are just casting white people (regarless of gender) so how is it diversity to cast a white woman over a white man???
And again, I dont even give a crap about this whole diversity thing, but if we are going to play by the "progressive and diverse" rule, then how the hell is casting white women any more "Diverse"???? if they want me to play by that, and if they want me to care about diversity, I dont see how casting more whites is any different than before.... actors of other ethnicities are still given the boot....
so i really dont see whats so diverse about that... if anything it seems hypocritical

Last edited:
Does she act in any western movies, or is she primarily in Bollywood? I always thought she had really pretty eyes.

Does she act in any western movies, or is she primarily in Bollywood? I always thought she had really pretty eyes.
I thought she gained a bunch of weight and got fat shamed by the Bollywood fans a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back