Skinner!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just said Reyes since we have Dogget. He needs his partner right? If I had to chose though, I'd go with the gray alien. I'd probably even get a couple of them.

who wouldn't want the reptilian alien with the skin like the creature from the black lagoon? that would be really cool.:banana

hopefully sideshow will continue the x files line, even if they have to limit the figures to 500, sell them for $60 each and make them website exclusives like they did with platoon.:peace

Lord, those glasses look HORRIBLE ! I watched every episode of all 9 seasons on DVD last Jan-Apr, and I don't recall having EVER seen those in a show!

I suggested Reyes ages ago but the Darklord himself shot me down in flames saying she wouldn't sell. So I went off and sulked for a while. Now it looks like Ms Reyes might have some support. (Come on Dave, shoot me down again!:rolleyes: )

By the way, a very happy New Year to everyone.:peace

captain sack said:
hopefully sideshow will continue the x files line, even if they have to limit the figures to 500, sell them for $60 each and make them website exclusives like they did with platoon.:peace

This sounds like an OK plan to me. Whatever it takes to keep the line going. And I would definitely buy a Reyes figure, along with all the others screamingmetal mentioned.

I would buy Reyes. :banana I would absolutely love having the alien bounty hunter. Can't believe sideshow hasn't made him yet.

BTW, the grey alien has appeared in the show in more than one episode. I'd buy that too.

I would rather pay more $$$ for a small edition, web exclusive Reyes than not have one at all. The same goes for the Lone Gunmen, Mr. X, Deep Throat, the Well Manicured Man, and the Alien Bounty Hunter. Give me enough X-Files characters and they just might usurp the shelf space currently occupied by my full set of Monty Python guys.

I think a "gray alien" would just be a waste in the "X-Files" line. They showed so many differences and variations of the "gray alien" on "The X-Files" and with such fleeting glimpses that there is no definitive version of the "X-Files" alien, nor is there one that is really even recognizable. The most recognizable "alien" of the show? The fake smoking alien from "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", and that was just some military guy in an alien suit. There has to be some company that makes a decent generic gray alien in the 12" scale, it's just that using a slot from the "X-Files" line to produce such an iffy figure would be a big risk (it would be more expensive to make because it would have to have a sculpted body suit) and a wasted opportunity when there are characters like Monica Reyes (who, in my opinion, definitely deserves a figure since she will now be the only character to get a credit in the title sequence not represented in figure form), Mr. X, Deep Throat, the Lone Gunmen, etc.

tomandshell said:
I would rather pay more $$$ for a small edition, web exclusive Reyes than not have one at all. The same goes for the Lone Gunmen, Mr. X, Deep Throat, the Well Manicured Man, and the Alien Bounty Hunter. Give me enough X-Files characters and they just might usurp the shelf space currently occupied by my full set of Monty Python guys.

I don't collect X-Files figures, but I'd definitely buy one of the alien bounty hunter. I'm sure Brian Thompson's exaggerated facial features would make for an awesome head sculpt.

They showed so many differences and variations of the "gray alien" on "The X-Files" and with such fleeting glimpses that there is no definitive version of the "X-Files" alien, nor is there one that is really even recognizable.

I tend to agree. Much of the X-Files was about what you didn't see, with suggestions, little glimpses and quick shots--and more often than not, much left up to interpretation. Having the central mysterious alien on permanent display in the full light of day doesn't seem to be in keeping with the X-Files style and approach.

A gray alien would not be at the top of my want list. Still, I think it could be a fairly big seller for the X-Files line, as it might appeal to people who aren't necessarily fans of the show. I'd much rather get this than another Mulder or Scully.

XPhile said:
A gray alien would not be at the top of my want list. Still, I think it could be a fairly big seller for the X-Files line, as it might appeal to people who aren't necessarily fans of the show. I'd much rather get this than another Mulder or Scully.

I'd probably take ANYTHING new over another Mulder & Scully but a generic alien would just about be the LAST thing on my list that I'd want to see before they started with the M&S re-hashes again. There is just no alien in the entire series that would evoke a "that's an 'X-Files' alien!" response out of the "X-Files" fanbase, let alone the general population. Earlier I said that the "Jose Chung" military-guy-in-alien-suit was the most recognizable "X-Files" alien but it occured to me that the aliens in "Fight the Future" may be more recognizable, BUT they certainly aren't "gray aliens", they're more like a "gray alien" on steroids (I hate saying "blank... ON STEROIDS but I feel it's appropriate in this case) and I think they would fail to excite the fanbase or the general population, either. I also agree that just having an alien like BAM, right next to the other figures, goes against the mysterious element of the show, and I don't think it fits in the direction the line is taking. All the characters included in the line thus far are just that, CHARACTERS, characters that are familiar and beloved to fans of the series (yes, even Doggett) with the possible exception of Frank Black, who is familiar and beloved to the "Millennium" fanbase, the overwheming majority of which is also into "X-Files". If the line continues, I see it continuing in the direction it's in now: I'm sure we'll get a few more M&S variations along the way but there are also a lot of distinctive characters yet to be made. Finally, I think the idea of a "gray alien" ultimately clashes with what Sideshow does. There are figures like the Creature from the Black Lagoon that are more monsterous (and thus requiring the more expensive rubber body suits) but they're a small minority, the majority of Sideshow figures are primarily humanoid characters with clothing, the "elaborate-level" varies but the majority is still a variation on the "clothed human".

Also, one other thing, any idea if Sideshow will do anything to make Skinner taller than the rest of the X-Files figures? Would the bigger body used on some of the "Jason" figures make him look too big?

tomandshell said:
I tend to agree. Much of the X-Files was about what you didn't see, with suggestions, little glimpses and quick shots--and more often than not, much left up to interpretation. Having the central mysterious alien on permanent display in the full light of day doesn't seem to be in keeping with the X-Files style and approach.
We're talking about toys or dolls here not the actual TV show or movie.
The laws of the show don't apply to the X File figures. Besides, we barely saw the Fluke Man on the show but many have stated they want Sideshow to make that one. That release would be very prominent, no mystery there, you'd have a fluke man monster standing right next to Mulder, very un-X-Files like. The monster may have been captured and placed in a room under custody but he was still mostly hiding in the shadows, and barely visible.

I know Gray Aliens didn't make a full appearance on the show, but this may be the only opportunity for a 1/6 Gray Alien figure. Sideshow might be too afraid to release an gray alien on it's own, so associating it with the X-Files might be the only way Sideshow would make one.
How cool would it be just to have a Gray Alien on the shelf? Whether it's associated with the X-Files line or not, it would be a great figure to own.
If you have a problem with a gray on the shelf next to Mulder and Scully, just place it on another shelf next to the the Metaluna Mutant, problem solved.

Gray Aliens have become a cultural icon and I think they're famous enough to sell on there own merit. They don't have to be associated with the X Files to sell.
Hell, Sideshow could even get around paying Fox the X File license money by releasing them as individual releases unassociated with the X Files.
And who says they have to have sculpted body suits? Why not just make them some gray plain jumpsuits or something.
And it would be a perfect subject for the Hobbit body Sideshow will be developing, furthering the use of that body.
I Would definitely buy a couple.

I believe the green alien shown in the movie are Reptilian Aliens, not Grays. That is another Alien some people have said they've seen in their alien abduction memories (or hallucinations to some).
The Reptile Alien would be a great figure too, I'd love to have that one in my collection as well as a Gray.

the grey alien was actually featured pretty prominantly in "the unnatural", the baseball episode that David Duchovny wrote and directed. While I would not consider this a definative episode, we get a pretty good look at the grey from what I remember.

I never really thought of a grey as something sideshow would do due to the limitations they have with their 12" body type, but I'd buy it.

I'd MUCH rather see the bounty hunter.

Yeah, me too, but Brian Thompson's Alien Bounty Hunter is a recognizable character that appeared regularly for 7 of the show's 9 seasons.

New Skinner pics in the blog! The glasses are different (possibly CGI?), and he looks just awesome. Another great likeness by Andy, who seems to be able to do no wrong.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?cat=26

skinner-1.jpg

Good call on the glasses... FYI, I created them in photoshop to check the likeness against the photo reference (forgot to mention that in the blog).

Glad you like him!

Back