Sidius/Palpatine 2-pack

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both. I... uh... talked to somebody who would know a thing or two about what's in-store for this release. Trust me, we'll be happy.

Excellent news.

Obviously you can't divulge which Palpatine and/or Sidious versions they are making... but I'm hopeful by your "we'll be happy" that it is indeed the 'red robe' Palps and the 'Yoda fight' Sidious.

Excellent news.

Obviously you can't divulge which Palpatine and/or Sidious versions they are making... but I'm hopeful by your "we'll be happy" that it is indeed the 'red robe' Palps and the 'Yoda fight' Sidious.

See, that would actually suck if there's no black Sith robe unless ROTJ is close around the corner, unless that's an accessory like Qui-Gon's ponch, we need a good disfigured head with a well made Sith robe, the Hasbro one blows entirely. Even have his robe with the red Mace duel robe and have the black robe to reenact the knighting of Darth Vader.

See, that would actually suck if there's no black Sith robe unless ROTJ is close around the corner, unless that's an accessory like Qui-Gon's ponch, we need a good disfigured head with a well made Sith robe, the Hasbro one blows entirely. Even have his robe with the red Mace duel robe and have the black robe to reenact the knighting of Darth Vader.

My guess is The Emperor will be a 'set piece' figure at next year's SDCC... seated on throne. He will come with our long awaited VADER.

Now that is something that will be long remembered.

This sounds suspiciously PT. Not good for an OT snob like me... guess we could pick up an ROTJ Emperor's Robe somewhere....

Yeah, I can feel confident that we will see an OT Emperor at some point. I have to say I wasn't planning on buying a Yoda Duel Sidious... mostly because I didn't like his look as much and he's similar (in my mind) to ROTJ. I do want the Red Robe version... so I guess this is a good plan for SS to get me to spend more money :lol :monkey2

Excellent news.

You mean we'll get 2 Sidious' and neither of them are from the Mace Windu confrontation and one of them would be a repeat of the rather well done Hasbro ROTS Palpy?

Sounds like possibly the worst situation I could think of for this release, if that is what we get. :emperor:confused:

You mean we'll get 2 Sidious' and neither of them are from the Mace Windu confrontation and one of them would be a repeat of the rather well done Hasbro ROTS Palpy?

Sounds like possibly the worst situation I could think of for this release, if that is what we get. :emperor:confused:

So just because Hasbro made it we should get one??? Hell we shouldn't have any of the releases thus far then!

So just because Hasbro made it we should get one??? Hell we shouldn't have any of the releases thus far then!

When I wrote my post did I sign it "Xander"? No I said its the worst that "I" meaning, well, "me" or "ProgMatinee" or "Eric" thought it was bad.

And FYI, Hasbro never made a Ep. I Palp, and Episode 2 Palp, the Mace confrontation Palp, the red "Evil" robes Palp.

So yeah, there are a few options out there for Palps that Hasbro didn't do.

"Red Robe" = Mace Fight.

Hasbro's was OK, but as much as I want Sith robe Palps, the Yoda fight suit figure done with Sideshow quality will be a much improvement. The detail on the Hasbro sculpt was nice, but the stupid, high on pot grin he has isn't fitting for the character at any point over the saga, so we're sure to get a better representation of the character in the new HS, even if the detail were equal to Hasbro, it's as much about capturing character as representing what's visually there to the face. The out fit on the outter robe was decent, especially for a Hasbro figure, but the dickie thing sucks, I've always hated Hasbro's half assed under shirts made to just be enough, if there's a shirt underneath like the Jedi have, they give you a full shirt which is crucial, or if they use a dickie type scenario, at least SSC does it such that it fits with the clothes and is imperceptable to the eye. Another thing I would look forward to with the Sideshow version is the standard wire in the hood, that's one of the simplest and best features of high end 1/6 toys that really put themselve above Hasbro level, it always nagged me that Hasbro hoods flopped around and couldn't really be sat correctly on the heads. A big difference is with Sideshow, we'll get good hands that can nicely hold onto his lightsaber, the articulated fingers on the Hasbro would hold it but your posing range was limited, and for an old guy, they had some pretty dynamic poses going on in that duel. So all in all, while a classic Hasbro figure and worth having in a collection, there are small advancements that can be made that would greatly benefit the character representation and ultimately, I think those with the Hasbro and content with it would still find themselves happy to get Sideshow's take.

"Red Robe" = Mace Fight.

Really, I thought is was more black and wasn't really a robe.

This is what I thought was meant by "red robe". Sorry for the silly pic.

emperor-palpatine-costume.jpg

You make some good points, MaulFan, but with that said, SSC could put all of those same high quality standards that make them better than Hasbro into something that Hasbro never made. Because there is plenty out there for Sidious/Palpatine to do so.

Its a subjective thing as well, I just don't think the Yoda duel outfit is that much better than the Mace outfit or the evil red outfit I posted above or even the EI or EII outfits to warrant there being 2 of it (including Hasbro) and none of the others.

I'd much rather have 1 so-so outfit "A" and 1 great outfit "B" than 2 outfit "A"s in my collection. Again thats just me. Based on the way I am treated here so far in another thread I can understand how my opinion is of less importance than some others around herewith more posts or something, but I digress.

In anycase, if its true that the "red robes" is really the Mace confrontation outfit then I will be happy with anything else as the 2nd outfit. I just think the Mace outfit is crucial.

Last edited:
Really, I thought is was more black and wasn't really a robe.

This is what I thought was meant by "red robe". Sorry for the silly pic.

emperor-palpatine-costume.jpg

You make some good points, MaulFan, but with that said, SSC could put all of those same high quality standards that make them better than Hasbro into something that Hasbro never made. Because there is plenty out there for Sidious/Palpatine to do so.

Its a subjective thing as well, I just don't think the Yoda duel outfit is that much better than the Mace outfit or the evil red outfit I posted above or even the EI or EII outfits to warrant there being 2 of it (including Hasbro) and none of the others.

I'd much rather have 1 so-so outfit "A" and 1 great outfit "B" than 2 outfit "A"s in my collection. Again thats just me. Based on the way I am treated here so far in another thread I can understand how my opinion is of less importance than some others around herewith more posts or something, but I digress.

In anycase, if its true that the "red robes" is really the Mace confrontation outfit then I will be happy with anything else as the 2nd outfit. I just think the Mace outfit is crucial.

I think most people come to refer to the red outfit directly to the Mace fight, it's a black/red design, but enough red to call it that, and for what little screen time it got, the costume you posted is kinda written off by a lot of folks, I think the only reason they made halloween outfits of it was the simplicity. I totally understand where you're coming from on the Hasbro's done it, do something they haven't because we need it, and the Yoda duel outfit can easily slip in there. I only plea time and again for Sith robe because it's never been done on a remotely decent level and it's the most infamous incarnation of the character to have and it deserves to get done with the quality these high end boys can make. If they have selected the Yoda duel, I would imagine the choice revolves around things like accomplishing the fur elements and the unique body material, as well as capturing Palpatine in a representation of him at a very powerful moment, in all his lightsaber and Sith rage glory going head to head with the greatest of Jedi, and if a Yoda is not far down the road, I'm sure having the 2 together was a thought as well, but they also make figures for display, and while we as collectors may opt to battle pose a senatorial Palpatine, from their end I would imagine they see it as, if we want a battle Palpatine, let's make him in his battle outfit, so basically a 2 pack of the Mace and Yoda duel suits would be a Battle Palpatine/Sidious 2 pack, which could be the intent, and as others have eluded, Sith Robe and Chair later for ROTJ, but hopefully not too much later.

I thought it was a like a deep red. Either way we're getting the two versions I think most folks wanted. This is a very good thing IMO.

It'll be interesting to see which Sidious/Palpatine we get. I assume since it's in the Lord of the Sith line, we won't get a Senator Palpatine figure. I hope one will be a robed version since that is the most prominent in the PT and OT.

Back