Sideshow vs. Hot Toys - Mark I RDJ portrait

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Company Got it right?

• Total voters
Prefer the Sideshow... too bad the paint wasn't better as I think Trev (as always) nailed the likeness.

HT finished product sculpt overall looks nicer (better apps, more texture) but just doesn't look as much like RDJ as the Sideshow sculpt.

How about if just the eyes were repainted on the SS sculpt?

EyeRepaint2.jpg

EyeRepaint.jpg

Last edited:
I tell you, that's why I value so much the paint job. The first photos of hot toys were close to perfection but the final piece gave us the Asian brother of RDJ. Sideshow had it right, but the paint job ruined it. I just can't wait to get it and repaint it. I will make his face dirtier and it will be night and day....

i'm asian and i still found that statement :lol:lol:lol

yeah, the problem with the ht version is the eyes. they are indeed asian-like in their smallness, whereas RDJ has very distinctive large eyes.

and i think computerfly did a good job of rectifying the sideshow version. looks much closer, dude!

Sideshows sculpt is a million times better in my opinion. Awesome sculpt , cappy paint. Hot toys has an average sculpt and average paint. I guess they even out in my eyes.

Actually both side IM are nice. I've Hottoy Mark I, II and III as well as Sideshow IM classic, stealth and mark I version.
All of them are still hiding in their brown boxes ;)
After I've move to a new house, I'll sure display them and take pics to show you guys! :rock

This is an interesting situation.

Both are hardly close and out of context look very little like him if at all.

But if you have to choose, the SS looks more like RDjr.

BUT it also manages to be so ugly and weird looking (nothing to do with RDjr), that I prefer the HT one since its much easier on the eyes. Seriously.

So where's the 'neither' option on the poll?

i'm a hot toys fan, but i'm impartial when it comes to their likeness. more than half of their sculpts are off. and they actually never got RDJ right for all iron man figures IMO. simply not him... small eyes are only the first set of problems

Sure the Hot Toys head looks like RDJ, if RDJ was Alec Baldwin's Japanese cousin. Anyone who says that the Hot Toys sculpt is better is either just trying so hard to convince themselves/ lying because they are 1/6 fanboys and are trying to justify their purchase. Either that or they just have horrible horrible horrible perceptions of what people look like. The Sideshow sculpt wins 1000 times over and that's not even IMO, it's a fact of life.

Sure the Hot Toys head looks like RDJ, if RDJ was Alec Baldwin's Japanese cousin. Anyone who says that the Hot Toys sculpt is better is either just trying so hard to convince themselves/ lying because they are 1/6 fanboys and are trying to justify their purchase. Either that or they just have horrible horrible horrible perceptions of what people look like. The Sideshow sculpt wins 1000 times over and that's not even IMO, it's a fact of life.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Since the question deals with just the head sculpt, I would say that SS got it less wrong.

BUT....the Hot Toys figure overall is a much better representation of the suit from the movie, and at half the price.

I display my HT figure with the helmet down so to me the entire issue is irrelevant.

The SS piece is....taller....and heavier....and costlier....I'll give it that much. :D

Back