Sideshow vs. Hot Toys - Mark I RDJ portrait

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Company Got it right?

• Total voters
Sideshow without a doubt. Look at this:

tonystarkresculptbytrev.jpg

Its perfect. Trevor's resculpt was outstanding. Like a lot of SSC product unfortunately the paint ^^^^ed it in the end.

SS's raw sculpt looks awesome. But the finished piece looks so-so. It also has a disjointed look, when seen with the overall statue.

Not to say the HT piece as shown here looks phenomenal either.

HT's sculpt is ok, but really misses the RDJ eyes. I don't think it looks much like him personally. Sideshow has the better sculpt, but the paint is terrible.

I don't understand. The poll question specifically asks "which company got it right?"...

Where's the choice for Neither?

They're both underwhelming, in my opinion.

Sideshow.

Tho they could've done the eyes better..i'd much rather they were looking straight instead of that weird confused angle.

Who got it right? The photos on the right(Sideshow) and left(Hot Toys) are taken of production pieces. The photo in the middle is a still from the movie.

You be the judge...

RDJComparo1.jpg

Wow, if I didnt know better I wouldn't believe that the SS's bare sculpt and the painted one where the same. That painted one looks horrible. But that unpainted one is fantabulous. Just goes to show how important a paint job is.

Sideshow without a doubt. Look at this:

tonystarkresculptbytrev.jpg

Its perfect. Trevor's resculpt was outstanding. Like a lot of SSC product unfortunately the paint ^^^^ed it in the end.

Yup it was looking amazing until the paint apps, the sculpt is awesomeness!!! :rock Nothing a repaint couldn't help though.

Likeness comes down to many things, seeing the real picture and the Sideshow piece side by side, you can see the iris of his eyes on the SSC piece are about 75% the size of RDJ's. While something like that may sound nitty and pointless outright, it is a component in likeness, if they come out too small or too big, it changes the way the eyes look and what may be sculpted as wide open may look squinted, or the reverse could happen. It's not enough just to have 2 perfect little circles in there.

Both could have been better, but I chose HT. Doesn't really matter to me, because I have no plans to display the Mark I with the faceplate up anyway.

frankly, neither one really captures RDJ's likeness. they're both off. the ht version's eyes are way too small & shaped wrong, and the goatee is poorly painted. the sideshow version is too gaunt and has a weird expression. and sloppy paint app too.

but if i were to choose, the sideshow one is a little closer to the actor.

I choose HT because I prefer the Figure over Statue but neither face looks like RDJ. HT Iron Man Mark III did a better job.

I agree.. the sculpt is exactly like the Picture used. HT looks like Generic RDJ. I still prefer the HT fig over the SS statue because I still have $230 in my pocket. :D the diference in sculpt/detail isn't +$230. :monkey1

Well said and you can re-pose him over and over and over again. That said the Detail on the SS piece is very good.

Since this poll is regarding the sculpt alone I voted SSC because I know Trevor did good work on it. Not his best, but very good work nonetheless. Much better than any of us can do I'm sure of it. The paint is what really kills it IMO. Won't really matter when displayed with the mask on anyway. Besides, casual observers will know who he's supposed to be. However, I think the HT figure overall is a much better representation of the Mark I armor than the maquette. I think Sideshow really screwed it up in terms of paint apps and overall detail accuracy. Definitely not worth the $400 asking price IMO.

I tell you, that's why I value so much the paint job. The first photos of hot toys were close to perfection but the final piece gave us the Asian brother of RDJ. Sideshow had it right, but the paint job ruined it. I just can't wait to get it and repaint it. I will make his face dirtier and it will be night and day....

This is what I do in my spare time. here is my site...

www.picturetrail.com/sktch4fn

Cheers

Bear

Back