Sideshow vs. Hot Toys - Mark I RDJ portrait

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Company Got it right?

• Total voters
An inaccurate piece is an inaccurate piece regardless of the medium. I don't buy the whole "statue snobbery" thing for one second. I have several statues, busts as well as Hot Toys figures and McFarlane figures, the majority of which have outstandingly detailed sculpts....you may not like the subject matter (the Spawn universe), but the artistry cannot be denied.
One need not look any further than the SS Godfather PF statue to prove my point. Is anyone in their right mind say that is a better piece than the HT Godfather figure simply because it is a polystone statue?

An inaccurate piece is an inaccurate piece regardless of the medium. I don't buy the whole "statue snobbery" thing for one second. I have several statues, busts as well as Hot Toys figures and McFarlane figures, the majority of which have outstandingly detailed sculpts....you may not like the subject matter (the Spawn universe), but the artistry cannot be denied.
One need not look any further than the SS Godfather PF statue to prove my point. Is anyone in their right mind say that is a better piece than the HT Godfather figure simply because it is a polystone statue?

I know the HT Godfather is 200 x better than the Sideshow PF in the likeness department...But if someone would give me one for free, I'd take the Sideshow PF.Theres something about the 12'' figure that I dont like :The fact that its articulated and thats its a toy.... it turns me off...The PF as more of a museum feel.Even though likeness is mega caca.

I know the HT Godfather is 200 x better than the Sideshow PF in the likeness department...But if someone would give me one for free, I'd take the Sideshow PF.Theres something about the 12'' figure that I dont like :The fact that its articulated and thats its a toy.... it turns me off...The PF as more of a museum feel.Even though likeness is mega caca.

Your personal preference, which of course is understandable & I can respect totally.

I find that the best HT products are a combination of the best of both worlds....the quality sculpt of a good statue, combined with the ability to pose the piece any way you like it. The fact that it's made of a different substance really doesn't matter that much to me in the end. There's also the cost/value ratio part of the equation as well. ;)

I also appreciate & own several statues myself, don't get me wrong, I agree with the museum feel myself, there's nothing like it. I, myself, can appreciate a good sculpt regardless of the medium, and to a certain degree, size as well.

It's all good. :D

i agree totally with the above. The poseablity of figures is a big thing for me. Also i think its not about what the piece is made out of, its about the accuracy of the piece regardless of if its made of plastic, polystone, rubber etc. I don't care what material its made out of as long as its accurate.

You can have a room full of polystone figures that just look rubbish if they don't look accurate imo. For me it would always bug me to see inaccuracies in the higher end statues espically if your paying the kind of money these statues go for on regular basis. HT you could forgive somewhat given the lower price tag. As far as bang for your buck obviously the ht figure wins out. In terms of the sideshow sculpt goes in certain shots he looks very like rdj in other shots of rdj he doesn't look like him at all.

The ht sculpt looks less like rdj then the sideshow one but overall i prefer the ht figure basically because it really does have amazing detail for its size. The lazy eye thing on the sideshow sculpt...thats really inexcusable to be honest. This debate is turning into a pf versus ht one...lol

Last edited:

:lecture

HT=garbage IMO

awww, how cute. fanboy baiting. :lol

You can say you get more bang for your buck with the HT fig, but do you really? Can anyone honestly say that HT figures aren't overpriced as well? Hell, what collectible isn't? When you think about it, they are about equally expensive for their respective product type. So I'd say you get about an equal amount of bang for your buck either way you go.

You can say you get more bang for your buck with the HT fig, but do you really? Can anyone honestly say that HT figures aren't overpriced as well? Hell, what collectible isn't? When you think about it, they are about equally expensive for their respective product type. So I'd say you get about an equal amount of bang for your buck either way you go.

yeah but you still pay less for the ht figure either way :rotfl

yes, i can honestly say ht figures aren't overpriced. the level of craftsmanship is worth the money i pay. thank you, and good night.

You bring up very intertesting & valid points.
For me, the difference in what I would consider being better "bang for the buck" considering the price of both pieces would be accuracy to the source. IMHO the HT piece is more accurate overall, hence my belief that it represents a better value buy once you consider the price.
Others may disagree of course, and that's cool. :cool:

I bet this poll would have turned out quite different if this was in play. Not a Mark I sculpt, but it should've been...

IronMan-TonyStarkMechTestVersion-18.jpg

:lecture :lecture :lecture

I try really hard to stick with statues but HT keeps sucking me back in.:monkey2

This is SO TRUE! At one point I was ready to sell all my 1:6 and get into statues and busts full time. Changed my mind last minute when all the great 1:6 figs started coming out this year and next. Now I'm probably 100% more excited about 1:6 figs more than any other collectible.

Bottom line is HOT TOYS has single-handedly SAVED the 1:6 market imo....

with the new tony stark from hot toys:

hot toys > sideshow

This is SO TRUE! At one point I was ready to sell all my 1:6 and get into statues and busts full time. Changed my mind last minute when all the great 1:6 figs started coming out this year and next. Now I'm probably 100% more excited about 1:6 figs more than any other collectible.

Bottom line is HOT TOYS has single-handedly SAVED the 1:6 market imo....

That is very true... they really have revitalized a stagnant/dying market.

Back