Premium Format Sideshow Thanos on Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the same to the buyer at the end of the day. Once you're done you can pour out and sell dozens of them if you choose to make a mold. The person buying it isn't going to say I only want the original oil painting when he can also get a litho. You can call it entirely different if you choose to, but to the person putting the "copy" head on their statue it doesn't matter. Your head is a "copy" too since it's not an original SS head.

I don't care who agrees or who doesn't. If it's not original from SS it's all a "copy" of sorts. You're just mad they're copying an original piece vs a new creation. Howe many new creations make molds and sell several? Aren't the copies just knock offs of the original ball of clay?

Ummmmm.... No

How the flying flipping hell does any of what you just said make sense??? Mine is a "copy" because it isn't an SSC head??. You get that doesn't even pass the sniff test of logic and reason right. A recast is a copy. A custom when done right is an "original" piece of work. while I could have copied SSCs piece and gotten it darn close I didn't..... I choose to do a Thanos inspired by Ron Lim to be sure, but there is enough PF my style there to be seen. By your logic every drawing of Superman, Batman, Spoderman, what have you is a "copy". As for there being NO difference between what I do and what these recasters are doing to your average collector.... well, the heads I am doing are going to be more rare than the EX and they won't devalue the original EXs value over time.... that is the difference.

In the end, one could debate that both re-casts and customs are equally as bad if you're selling them without a license. Actually it's not a debate :wink1:

Yep.... but recasters decrease the value of a piece in the aftermarket where customs can often increase the value. I have seen guys who on'y bought the XM Punisher because of the Troy McDevitt custom head, or the XM Magneto because of Eric Sosa addition. Sometimes someone's entire feeling for a piece can change because of a new head sculpt

Last edited:
In the end, one could debate that both re-casts and customs are equally as bad if you're selling them without a license. Actually it's not a debate :wink1:

this is a fine line. You don't need a license to make a custom statue for yourself and a friend... now what if you make 5 custom statues of Superman for you and 4 friends? Your friends pitch in to help cover your time and the cost of the molds, paint etc. you can extrapolate this out to its natural conclusion but making a few customs for a small group isn't explicitly "wrong".

Random question but is there a TOS we sign when we buy a statue? Because I can buy a statue and use it as a mold for my personal use, just can't resell it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

this is a fine line. You don't need a license to make a custom statue for yourself and a friend... now what if you make 5 custom statues of Superman for you and 4 friends? Your friends pitch in to help cover your time and the cost of the molds, paint etc. you can extrapolate this out to its natural conclusion but making a few customs for a small group isn't explicitly "wrong".

It is a grey area. Comic book artists sell prints of characters that they don't own the rights to all the time. Literally, make hundreds of copies sometimes if the print is very popular. This isn't something that Marvel and DC don't know anything about because the artists sell there prints at cons where all the big wigs attend. The only characters that are for the most part of limits are the Disney characters, well the proper Disney characters. The companies even allow artists who work for their competition to produce prints of their original work. Now where the artists sometimes get upshot is if they copy the works of another artist.

Well back on topic. I found the first major issue with my statue. When the lights are on light bleeds out from where the thumb connects to the hand.
94353519dbfe3eb1e91133cff461384f.jpg
d01d16f57f930af51ff193a3dd14c18d.jpg

It is what is happening to XM all the time according to some well respected painters and kit builders. The XM recasts are basicallly factory walk offs. An employee makes sure to throw out 10-15 perfectly fine parts in the reject bin, and when that stuff heads to the garbage there is a handoff and those pieces get painted up and sold. These EX heads are no different two or three guys grab one or two heads put them in their pockets and walk out with them each shift. The problem is if you buy them you encourage them and they will just keep doing it and it has an impact on aftermarket prices. Of that there is no doubt

Just keep in mind each XM Statue has to be registered. So it won’t really affect what they put out. Of interfere with sales. Sideshow for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well back on topic. I found the first major issue with my statue. When the lights are on light bleeds out from where the thumb connects to the hand.
94353519dbfe3eb1e91133cff461384f.jpg
d01d16f57f930af51ff193a3dd14c18d.jpg

Can you ask for a replacement? It's definitely noticeable.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do.... Here's hoping they give me the replacement and 20% off lol

How much was shipping to New York? Someone is trying to tell me they paid $1800 for their ex from SSC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well now he's saying he bought out someones preorder from them but paying them extra

Anyone ever deal with an Eric Biunno?

Okay so you are comparing a custom which can takes hundreds of hours of work to create to a recast that takes maybe 5 hrs. Hell in this case we should just admit what is happening. If the eBay seller is to be believed he and his friend are stealing some of the replacement EX heads being made by SSC that are meant to go to the customers who bought the EX legitimately. That means there will be fewer replacements available then there should be. The guys are literally thieves.

By the way I am probably at least 80-100 hrs in in this one. And almost every element started as a tiny ball of digital clay. Tell me again how what I am doing is the same as these thieves?

Tiny ball of digital clay

Just curious, how much are you paying Marvel for licensing rights? And are you paying taxes on your income from selling these heads?

Wow I am so glad I didnt buy this statue, it’s a $1200 ssc qc nightmare :horror. I feel bad for you guys, you spend 1200 and got nothing but a trip to your local fed ex/ups to return the crap they put inside the box. Grats to the 10 people that got good ones. Seriously ssc has some nerve selling a 1200 statue with such piss poor quality control. They obviously don’t give a **** about their customers. Note to self never buy an expensive statue from ssc.. better yet don’t buy any statues from ssc unless it’s made by prime 1, Iron Studios or tweeterhead

Last edited:
Just keep in mind each XM Statue has to be registered. So it won’t really affect what they put out. Of interfere with sales. Sideshow for sure!

I so love that about XM. A brilliant idea to weed out all of the BS that recasts create.

I so love that about XM. A brilliant idea to weed out all of the BS that recasts create.

It really is a clever thing to do. It makes you feel like your apart of the whole experience in doing so. You start getting discounts for registering stuff also prestige membership for the first 4 statues registered

I didn't know XM did that. That's awesome. It's kind of like getting your comics graded and you can look it up.

Oh I know they do, and it is a great system, but the recasts are still affecting the value of their pieces. Hell it is happening to just abou every company right now. A Buddy of mine was telling me that basically all of the major companies have recasts coming out almost at the same time as their main releases.... sometimes before.

It really is a clever thing to do. It makes you feel like your apart of the whole experience in doing so. You start getting discounts for registering stuff also prestige membership for the first 4 statues registered

I'm still working on my first four to complete the membership. :(

Ummmmm.... No

How the flying flipping hell does any of what you just said make sense??? Mine is a "copy" because it isn't an SSC head??. You get that doesn't even pass the sniff test of logic and reason right. A recast is a copy. A custom when done right is an "original" piece of work. while I could have copied SSCs piece and gotten it darn close I didn't..... I choose to do a Thanos inspired by Ron Lim to be sure, but there is enough PF my style there to be seen. By your logic every drawing of Superman, Batman, Spoderman, what have you is a "copy". As for there being NO difference between what I do and what these recasters are doing to your average collector.... well, the heads I am doing are going to be more rare than the EX and they won't devalue the original EXs value over time.... that is the difference.

Yep.... but recasters decrease the value of a piece in the aftermarket where customs can often increase the value. I have seen guys who on'y bought the XM Punisher because of the Troy McDevitt custom head, or the XM Magneto because of Eric Sosa addition. Sometimes someone's entire feeling for a piece can change because of a new head sculpt

It makes perfect sense. Sorry you can't understand that anything that isn't an original piece is just a knockoff.

Back