Premium Format Sideshow Thanos on Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killing the hobby, hmm.. that's an interesting topic. I know some said hurting, that's different, but still interesting and closely related.

It all seems like a cycle to me. Will collectors really stop collecting when things like this happen? Sure some will, especially veteran collectors, but for everyone who gets frustrated and/or priced out of the hobby, new un-experienced collectors are coming in and even long time collectors still pop back in every now and then to get a piece they've been waiting a long time to have, sometimes even when these issues still exist. I mean, most of us probably came into this hobby when others were priced out and/or frustrated prior. A lot of these same problems existed prior to most of us joining, and previous collectors have voiced some of the same issues. As technology advances, unfortunately prices tend to rise and all the other stuff that go along with it (QC etc..) so on. So, does it ever really end? or is it a cycle? Plus collectors are never really happy! :lol Hmmm... Think about the times when you are fed up with this hobby, then they finally make a piece you just can't live without (this Thanos is that piece for some). This is not meant to offend or contradict, just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Good Post!

Collecting will never ever die. I’ve always picked and chose wisely with statues. I’ve only gotten rid of one statue that just pissed me off looking at it sigh. But in all honesty I’ve pre ordered way more than I’m used too. And 3 of these are over 2k in price. I’m not gonna complain about the price as all 3 are huge and very limited also.

I would agree that collectors are never happy. I would change that to collectors are never satisfied. This is more of a broader way of looking at it. I’ve heard many including Radd Titan slate sideshow and Geo himself saying never again yet these guys are loving the **** out of sideshow recently lol. Nope they will never stop being satisfied lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killing the hobby, hmm.. that's an interesting topic. I know some said hurting, that's different, but still interesting and closely related.

It all seems like a cycle to me. Will collectors really stop collecting when things like this happen? Sure some will, especially veteran collectors, but for everyone who gets frustrated and/or priced out of the hobby, new un-experienced collectors are coming in and even long time collectors still pop back in every now and then to get a piece they've been waiting a long time to have, sometimes even when these issues still exist. I mean, most of us probably came into this hobby when others were priced out and/or frustrated prior. A lot of these same problems existed prior to most of us joining, and previous collectors have voiced some of the same issues. As technology advances, unfortunately prices tend to rise and all the other stuff that go along with it (QC etc..) so on. So, does it ever really end? or is it a cycle? Plus collectors are never really happy! [emoji38] Hmmm... Think about the times when you are fed up with this hobby, then they finally make a piece you just can't live without (this Thanos is that piece for some). This is not meant to offend or contradict, just my thoughts. What do you guys think?
I think it's a far too logical/rational point of view for an internet message board lol.

I agree 100% with your statements.

27972079_10155468223953565_2184960523149661260_n.jpg

27858853_10155468224078565_8221884056433383191_n.jpg

I think that looks really good!!! :rock

I think he's referring to the ebay listing selling EX portraits of this Thanos MAQ. Someone over at the other forum said he saw a listing of the EX portrait for $190 on the bay being sold out of China. Supposedly, he contacted the seller and the seller said the EX portraits are not recasts but actual portraits made at the same factory as the MAQ. If this is even remotely true, it's a HUGE problem. The same rumors happened with the original Iron Man COM when it was recasted and sold on the bay and that ravaged the value of that piece. Recasters are just killing this hobby. It doesn't matter if you are a SSC or XM fan.

And what blows my mind is as they get funded by buyers, it just fuels 'the fire'. While I can't comment on the recasts quality, if the pic is any indication, it's scary how close to the original they look (and in some cases better).

I honestly have no issues with recast parts for statues. But I do have an issue with full recast statues.

For instance I wish I could buy a recast mark 7 half scale head because mine has a missing chunk after it fell over. But I wouldn't buy a full recast mark 7.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think he's referring to the ebay listing selling EX portraits of this Thanos MAQ. Someone over at the other forum said he saw a listing of the EX portrait for $190 on the bay being sold out of China. Supposedly, he contacted the seller and the seller said the EX portraits are not recasts but actual portraits made at the same factory as the MAQ. If this is even remotely true, it's a HUGE problem. The same rumors happened with the original Iron Man COM when it was recasted and sold on the bay and that ravaged the value of that piece. Recasters are just killing this hobby. It doesn't matter if you are a SSC or XM fan.

It is what is happening to XM all the time according to some well respected painters and kit builders. The XM recasts are basicallly factory walk offs. An employee makes sure to throw out 10-15 perfectly fine parts in the reject bin, and when that stuff heads to the garbage there is a handoff and those pieces get painted up and sold. These EX heads are no different two or three guys grab one or two heads put them in their pockets and walk out with them each shift. The problem is if you buy them you encourage them and they will just keep doing it and it has an impact on aftermarket prices. Of that there is no doubt

I honestly have no issues with recast parts for statues. But I do have an issue with full recast statues.

For instance I wish I could buy a recast mark 7 half scale head because mine has a missing chunk after it fell over. But I wouldn't buy a full recast mark 7.

Exactly. People make new capes, new heads and weapons all the time and no one cares, but re-cast an ex head and everyone loses their minds. You still can't re-sell it as an ex, but only as a regular with ex recast head included. There is a difference in re-casting an entire statue and making a few pieces to add to a real SS piece.

Exactly. People make new capes, new heads and weapons all the time and no one cares, but re-cast an ex head and everyone loses their minds. You still can't re-sell it as an ex, but only as a regular with ex recast head included. There is a difference in re-casting an entire statue and making a few pieces to add to a real SS piece.

Okay so you are comparing a custom which can takes hundreds of hours of work to create to a recast that takes maybe 5 hrs. Hell in this case we should just admit what is happening. If the eBay seller is to be believed he and his friend are stealing some of the replacement EX heads being made by SSC that are meant to go to the customers who bought the EX legitimately. That means there will be fewer replacements available then there should be. The guys are literally thieves.

By the way I am probably at least 80-100 hrs in in this one. And almost every element started as a tiny ball of digital clay. Tell me again how what I am doing is the same as these thieves?
82E0D256-655A-4DCB-B799-3C74DA08ECA4.jpeg
Tiny ball of digital clay

Okay so you are comparing a custom which can takes hundreds of hours of work to create to a recast that takes maybe 5 hrs. Hell in this case we should just admit what is happening. If the eBay seller is to be believed he and his friend are stealing some of the replacement EX heads being made by SSC that are meant to go to the customers who bought the EX legitimately. That means there will be fewer replacements available then there should be. The guys are literally thieves.

By the way I am probably at least 80-100 hrs in in this one. And almost every element started as a tiny ball of digital clay. Tell me again how what I am doing is the same as these thieves?
View attachment 394001
You useing mud box?

Your not in my opinion. I believe custom heads are a completely different representation of the statue and add options that weren't avavilable or thought of during creation.
The xm studios magneto was another highly sought after piece and there were 5 or six heads made for that one statue. I don't think anything was taken away or stolen from the artist

You useing mud box?

ZBrush

Your not in my opinion. I believe custom heads are a completely different representation of the statue and add options that weren't avavilable or thought of during creation.
The xm studios magneto was another highly sought after piece and there were 5 or six heads made for that one statue. I don't think anything was taken away or stolen from the artist

There are custom makers who take massive short cuts that border on recasting; like one of the customs for this simply scanned the regular helmet and put their sculpted face on it. But at least when it comes to well done custom heads the vast majority of them only cast or scan the neck key to make it work. Everything else is created.

I completely disagree with this.

View attachment 394001

It's the same to the buyer at the end of the day. Once you're done you can pour out and sell dozens of them if you choose to make a mold. The person buying it isn't going to say I only want the original oil painting when he can also get a litho. You can call it entirely different if you choose to, but to the person putting the "copy" head on their statue it doesn't matter. Your head is a "copy" too since it's not an original SS head.

I don't care who agrees or who doesn't. If it's not original from SS it's all a "copy" of sorts. You're just mad they're copying an original piece vs a new creation. Howe many new creations make molds and sell several? Aren't the copies just knock offs of the original ball of clay?

Last edited:
In the end, one could debate that both re-casts and customs are equally as bad if you're selling them without a license. Actually it's not a debate :wink1:

Back