Sideshow Snake Eyes and Timber 1/6th Figure Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, for those target plinking armchair operator types of mags (which I think are trendy and not practical in the least as grime gets caught in the "pouch" and you have problems getting clean pulls). Keeps the dirt and grime from getting in the magazine. I prefer traditional mag pouches though as you can store them upright and even tuck in the cover for the first pouch for redi-mag access.

Thanks, Nam, that's what I figured. Makes sense from a practical standpoint.

Alright, please answer a question for this arm chair military buff; is this the proper way to store magazines in the mag pouches? On all my figures, I've been placing the mags "top" up (where the bullets would feed into the assault rifle / pistol). Or does it even matter?

I'm no infantry guy or anything, but when I was in Afghanistan, everyone I saw carried mags top up in their pouches, I believe. Although now that I think of it, that wasn't the case for my pistol mags... but I think that's more a case of "how would you load it". Pistol mags are usually either stored on a shoulder holster (in my case, almost always) or a thigh holster, so the way you'd pull them out means it would probably be more convenient to have them top down... does that make sense?

Whereas assault rifle mags are usually stored on a tac vest of some kind, or right around the belt area - you pretty much want to be able to take it out and have it go right into the rifle, which would be "above" where the mag pouch is, usually. So top up.

Yep, for those target plinking armchair operator types of mags (which I think are trendy and not practical in the least as grime gets caught in the "pouch" and you have problems getting clean pulls - imagine proning and having to crawl through brush with that ____ on :monkey1). Keeps the dirt and grime from getting in the magazine. I prefer traditional mag pouches though as you can store them upright and even tuck in the cover for the first pouch for redi-mag access.

Yeah, even in a non tactical situation, the dust gets everywhere and piles up in the bottoms of mag pouches pretty quickly. You don't want to have the open end of a mag sitting in that crap.

Probably not the best explanation I've given - like I said, I'm no expert, but that's just how it's been in my limited experience.

I think Sideshow's way is just a compromise between having a proper 1/6th scale mag pouch and realistic magazines that fit into 'em. They might look too big if you were able to get them in bottom first.

I think the magazine catch window is what secures them in that Magpul garbage. :huh

:lol

What if you have mag pulls?

Then you load them top-down. :huh

I see those as mostly cosmetic though, or something you might need if you plan on having wet or frozen gear or being in some environment where your mag pouch wouldn't be as flexible (or you're clumsy and fumble ____ a lot :lol).

I always carried my mags top down, so did everyone I ever worked with. Mags top down in your rig means you have rounds in them, top up mean they're empty and you can see that. Also we used 550 cord in the bottoms of are mags for easier pulling. Another reason to put your mags top down is that you are less likely to lose rounds if they fall out from you getting banged around, if they do come out of the mag they will stay in the pounchs. Plus there's the dirt factor. Tops up looks pretty but it's wrong.

That price!! ??

More and more the 1/6 market is reminding me of the comic book market of the early-mid 90s. And that's bad.

Those were crazy times, with people buying multiple copies of X-Men #1 variants, McFarlane Spiderman #1, Death of Superman, Breaking of the Bat, Youngblood, Wildcats..etc.. now we're getting $150+ figure x 2.

Alright, please answer a question for this arm chair military buff; is this the proper way to store magazines in the mag pouches? On all my figures, I've been placing the mags "top" up (where the bullets would feed into the assault rifle / pistol). Or does it even matter?

Those mag pouches on Snake Eyes aren't normal pouches though, they're called Fast Mags (Generation 2) and use friction from a spring and additional rubber bands to keep the mags in place as well as an additional cord (jump strap) to loop over mags to keep them more secure. Supposedly you can use them with the pouches upside down without the jump strap and they stay in place.
I don't think any military unit uses them though I could be wrong.

If I did get this Snake Eyes I'd never use them.

fast20mag.jpg

Those mag pouches on Snake Eyes aren't normal pouches though, they're called Fast Mags (Generation 2) and use friction from a spring and additional rubber bands to keep the mags in place as well as an additional cord (jump strap) to loop over mags to keep them more secure. Supposedly you can use them with the pouches upside down without the jump strap and they stay in place.

fast20mag.jpg

Not only that but they sacrifice loadout too. Instead of 2-deep or 3-deep, you just get one. That's too much precious, prime real estate to take up on a tactical vest. I'll also be looking for a more practical vest, maybe an oldschool "H" or "Y" harness (which he should've come with) or LBV.

SS emailed a coupon for $18 off for your next order, I was gonna use it for this but I'm gonna use it towards the Black suit Spider-Man Ex. Still 50/50 on this one

Just a heads up.

Not only that but they sacrifice loadout too. Instead of 2-deep or 3-deep, you just get one. That's too much precious, prime real estate to take up on a tactical vest. I'll also be looking for a more practical vest, maybe an oldschool "H" or "Y" harness (which he should've come with) or LBV.

I'd prefer one of the chest rigs from the Dam Delta Force figures.

I'm no infantry guy or anything, but when I was in Afghanistan, everyone I saw carried mags top up in their pouches, I believe. Although now that I think of it, that wasn't the case for my pistol mags... but I think that's more a case of "how would you load it". Pistol mags are usually either stored on a shoulder holster (in my case, almost always) or a thigh holster, so the way you'd pull them out means it would probably be more convenient to have them top down... does that make sense?

Whereas assault rifle mags are usually stored on a tac vest of some kind, or right around the belt area - you pretty much want to be able to take it out and have it go right into the rifle, which would be "above" where the mag pouch is, usually. So top up.

Yeah, even in a non tactical situation, the dust gets everywhere and piles up in the bottoms of mag pouches pretty quickly. You don't want to have the open end of a mag sitting in that crap.

Probably not the best explanation I've given - like I said, I'm no expert, but that's just how it's been in my limited experience.

I think Sideshow's way is just a compromise between having a proper 1/6th scale mag pouch and realistic magazines that fit into 'em. They might look too big if you were able to get them in bottom first.

I always carried my mags top down, so did everyone I ever worked with. Mags top down in your rig means you have rounds in them, top up mean they're empty and you can see that. Also we used 550 cord in the bottoms of are mags for easier pulling. Another reason to put your mags top down is that you are less likely to lose rounds if they fall out from you getting banged around, if they do come out of the mag they will stay in the pounchs. Plus there's the dirt factor. Tops up looks pretty but it's wrong.

fast20mag.jpg

Thanks for chiming in, gentlemen.

Would be cool if they had those rubber bands in sixth scale on those Fast Mags.

WTF is wrong with the commando head? Besides the small goggles, the thing looks like a serial killer.

Back