Sideshow Premium Art Prints Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Announcing new Premium Art Prints collection

Oh ok. The peace sign makes things so much better. Lol

Sorry. Didn't catch the humor.

Do you think that Sideshow will really offer returns for the prints? I wouldn't mind if it's store credit. Besides the $1,000 that I spent on the prints, I also spent a few thousand dollars purchasing other stuff from them for the last 2 years, so I would say I'm a repeat customer. I would even use the credit on some of their shelfwarmers. :)

Sorry. Didn't catch the humor.

Neither did Josh. Hey Josh, I WAS TRYING TO BE FUNNY. :monkey3 I mean, who tells somebody that then throws up the peace sign? A real jerk, thats who!

Do you think that Sideshow will really offer returns for the prints? I wouldn't mind if it's store credit. Besides the $1,000 that I spent on the prints, I also spent a few thousand dollars purchasing other stuff from them for the last 2 years, so I would say I'm a repeat customer. I would even use the credit on some of their shelfwarmers. :)

No, SS is not going to offer any refunds, and I doubt they acknowledge it again. Alex even dissapeared from that thread once the S-Storm started.

I agree that this should be a rational conversation. It's only comic art prints for God's sake and relatively cheap. I do, however, still disagree with all those defending SS.

Baseballs and sports memorabilia in general is a horrible comparison IMO. I have no idea about comic art since I am new to this area of collecting, but there is a long standing tradition in fine art prints to have the Artist sign the print with a sharp pencil at the bottom left hand corner and the edition number and size on the right. This has always been the traditional way because a sharp pencil will indent the paper and made it very difficult to manipulate or alter. Pencil signatures cannot be reproduced digitally. Because of this, signed artist prints in pencil carry a premium in the art collecting world. Walk into any fine art gallery and ask them if a digitally signed limited edition print is the norm. They'll either stare at you or laugh.

This tradition of signing in pencil is important to art collectors and SS used that to misrepresent its prints. Ask yourself why even bother to point out the fact that it was signed in pencil if that did not mean anything. Why not just claim signed by artist? It's because signed in pencil carries a traditional meaning and is reserved for fine art. Sideshow marketed these as Premium art prints and they made sure to point out signed in pencil which in the art world carries an implicit meaning.

What good is having a digital signature anyways? Now anyone who asks if these are actual artist signed prints, I'll have to tell them no they are just meant to look that way. I don't know why anyone would not be a little upset with this. You can try to excuse it all you want but slick talk is still slick talk and from my business experience that is never an honorable practice.

I don't know what to think about SS now. I've only purchased a few things from them. There were some issues with some of the items but I will say Sideshow has some of the best customer service I've experienced. They were extremely helpful, reasonable, and went the extra mile to make things right.

Yeah...that's not happening

They went from "penciled artist's signature" to "authorized penciled artist's signature" to "digital artist signature".
How is this not false advertising?

6pj0kOK.jpg

They went from "penciled artist's signature" to "authorized penciled artist's signature" to "digital artist signature".

6pj0kOK.jpg

Yeah, that is pretty blatant false advertising. Everything worded there absolutely states these signatures should be real in art world terms. There is no maybe or could mean. Sideshow changed everything as a CYA move, not a "clear it up for the folks" effort. I'm certainly not advocating this and think it would be ridiculous , but there are grounds for civil suit based on this and Sideshow should have known better.

The person that wrote the descriptions needs a talking to... from his/her employer and the customers. Haha

6pj0kOK.jpg

2f9.jpg

They changed it to dumb down the wording

What about "penciled artist's signature" makes it clear that it's a digital signature and not the real thing?

If the signature is digital then who signs and numbers the edition number?

I'll get Supergirl for sure, but I'm definitely going to slow down on my print purchases now. I'll check out the Artgerm ones and wait to see if they do Alien or Predator. Otherwise, I'll probably start clearing out some of the ones I've already received that I no longer feel are worth the money I paid.

No more prints for me, not even Supergirl. I cancelled the Powergirl one already. Who knows what else is different than what we interpret these prints to be. Frame quality? Maybe digitally handwritten numbers? A switch of paper quality? Changing the ink quality on future prints to be more cost effective? Too many factors for me to worry about to purchase another print comfortably.

We already know that the edition sizes don't include the number of AP prints out there.

Back