Sideshow need to make non-movie characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racetrack

Super Freak
Reaction score
They can't compete with HT especially now they are even more expensive for bare bones figures. There are so many great characters beyond the movies that the fans love and HT would never make. Characters from the TV shows, games, comics, books, etc. I can't believe they haven't made a Ahsoka, Cad Bane or Darth Revan or any of the other EU sith lords. Revan for example has won the Hasbro fan's choice TWICE. Everyone loves Ahsoka after hating her at first and Cad Bane is the coolest bounty hunter since Boba Fett. Sorry the lazy "denal disguise" figure doesn't count.

EU stuff isn't going to be made period because the licenses now only allow for canon stuff I believe. And most of the EU stuff is extremely niche and doesn't sell big numbers.

Sideshow makes PFs and other statues. Hot Toys doesn't.

I remember seeing somewhere that the Clone Wars is considered "cannon" by Lucasfilm, if that's the case and that's the only requirement then both Asoka and Cad Bane qualify for production. I also believe that there is wide enough following that they would be financially feasible to produce - I've heard people talking about those characters even in this little town - girls and guys - I was really surprised because I didn't think Clone Wars was that well known, but apparently it is.

TCW is 100% canon. But I was referring to his "Revan or any of the other EU Sith Lords" line.

EU stuff isn't going to be made period because the licenses now only allow for canon stuff I believe. And most of the EU stuff is extremely niche and doesn't sell big numbers.

Sideshow makes PFs and other statues. Hot Toys doesn't.

Hasbro just released a 6" Revan this week so not sure if that is accurate. Also the Old Republic is still ongoing. In anycase figures from TCW and Rebels would be more than welcome if they can't do EU.

I don't think they are in a position to stray from the current medium, even though they hardly develop anything original offering simple repaints for their RO line.

As much as i'd love to see a few TCW, Rebels or even comics related characters, i believe Disney's colossal licensing rights would prevent development of items lacking media attention. I have my doubt Sideshow would be able to push enough units of characters such as Ahsoka to cover development cost. Looking at the time it takes for anything to sell out these days, even (TFA) troopers are clogging their warehouse racks, they gotta see anything slightly original like a risky bet.

Non movie characters from Star Wars? That seems to be the direction of the thread but that's not reflected in the title.

blitzway has cracked sports but it's still a wide open field- baseball would be almost easy as basketball but wrestling is a potential gold mine IMO.

Thread being in the Star Wars-action figures sub forum, one can assume we are talking Star Wars "non-movie characters".

I wouldn't mind seeing characters from Rebels, Agent Kallus, Ezra and Sabine would surely be good sellers?

I would love to see more of Old Republic. I love Darth Malgus (he is a bit outdated, but sculpt is top noch still).

I would definitely buy non cannon SW figures like Kyle Katarn, Darth Talon, Darth Ravan, and Mara Jade if Sideshow made them.

Can't say Sideshow's been very active on the license lately. Only 11 releases in 2016 (smallest amount since 2006 and putting 2013 aside (Disney's takeover)) a good part being retools or repaints.

- C3PO --> Original
- Boba Fett --> Retool
- R5-D4 --> Part retool of R2
- Jawas --> Original
- Imperial Probe Droïd --> Repaint
- R2-D2 Proto --> Repaint
- R2-Q5 --> Repaint
- AT-AT Driver --> Original
- Darth Vader --> Retool
- Darth Maul --> Original
- R5-J2 --> Repaint (potential december release)

Clone wars and rebels could easily support a line. They did do an anakin clone wars and echo and fives and Rex etc.

Hasbro just released a 6" Revan this week so not sure if that is accurate. Also the Old Republic is still ongoing. In anycase figures from TCW and Rebels would be more than welcome if they can't do EU.

That was a fans' choice poll, so Hasbro may have been able to get round Disney with that one.

Clone wars and rebels could easily support a line. They did do an anakin clone wars and echo and fives and Rex etc.

But again, they were released when TCW was front and center with no competition. Now Disney took over and started production on new movies, fans attention is spread over too many medium. While focusing their production on Rebels or TCW would be great for hardcore fans, as a business standpoint, it's much safer to bet on current movies as they are touching a much larger audience.

But again, they were released when TCW was front and center with no competition. Now Disney took over and started production on new movies, fans attention is spread over too many medium. While focusing their production on Rebels or TCW would be great for hardcore fans, as a business standpoint, it's much safer to bet on current movies as they are touching a much larger audience.

Undoubtedly but a lot of the characters that would great figures are now quite established but to counter my own argument I wouldn't really be interested in any save ashoka

So the question is...Is Hot Toys strangling Sideshow's Star Wars line?

They have yet to touch on the ST and Anthologies.

Back