Sideshow Making 20"+ Movie Optimus Prime Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I never liked about Masterpiece Prime (which this custom is obviously based on) is that his truck mode is terrible; I could make a better looking truck out of legos, and I mean the big oversized ones for toddlers. For that reason, my Masterpiece Prime always stays in robot mode, which defeats the purpose of him being a Transformer, really.

That's why I'm excited about this Prime maquette. Bay Prime can never be made to be a transforming figure and look 100% accurrate in robot mode, the CGI transformation is just too complex and unrealistic to replicate in a toy.

That's why I'm excited about this Prime maquette. Bay Prime can never be made to be a transforming figure and look 100% accurrate in robot mode, the CGI transformation is just too complex and unrealistic to replicate in a toy.
I dunno, the Leader Class Prime figure comes pretty damn close, and at a price of $45 while adhering to child safety laws, no less. Personally, I'm going to opt for spending $90 on the Buster Optimus Prime repaint/remold instead of $900 on what will surely be a great statue.

Yeah the 09 Leader Class Prime is really nice for a 40$ toy but im really hoping for a Robot Mode only Prime Masterpiece because as good as the Leader Prime look,he carries a huge Box on his back because it`s necessery for the Vehicle Mode,and it doesn`t look good.

Other than the Robot Replicas figures, which are just too small for detail and paint without a custom, there is no Prime figure that captures the movie proportions, they all come out bulky looking, they may get the small details but the overally look just isn't right.

300px-MovieOptimusPrime_promorender2.jpg

Other than the Robot Replicas figures, which are just too small for detail and paint without a custom, there is no Prime figure that captures the movie proportions, they all come out bulky looking, they may get the small details but the overally look just isn't right.

300px-MovieOptimusPrime_promorender2.jpg

Which is why i want a Robot Mode Prime,don`t need to bother about the extra parts to complete the Vehicle mode,which is the problem with leader Prime and that Huge part on his back.

Are you serious man!!?? :rolleyes:
Yes, I'm serious. There is a point of diminishing returns, and while Sideshow's maquette's are good, they're not great. Case in point, Hot Toys' 1:6 scale Mark I figure for $170 looks better than Sideshow's $400 18" Mark I maquette. I'm personally not interested in spending 10-20 times more for nice paint apps and less back kibble while losing articulation and transformability. If this thing was closer to $300 however, there would be no question.

Yeah, Hasbro can do a nice job with it, but no one's ever going to come up with a figure that can transform from one mode to the other and be accurrate in both looks, at least not without being like a $1000+ toy that's about 3 feet tall to fit in all the mechanics necessary to shift things around and such from truck mode to robot mode.

Sideshow's maquette will be a perfectly accurrate representation of the robot mod, and if the pose stays true to the computer model, it'll be a great presentation of him.

Yes, I'm serious. There is a point of diminishing returns, and while Sideshow's maquette's are good, they're not great. Case in point, Hot Toys' 1:6 scale Mark I figure for $170 looks better than Sideshow's $400 18" Mark I maquette. I'm personally not interested in spending 10-20 times more for nice paint apps and less back kibble while losing articulation and transformability. If this thing was closer to $300 however, there would be no question.

Yeah, I'm reserving judgment about this until we see the real thing. It could be very impressive, but I'm not at all sure that it'll be worth the price tag. The initial images don't look all that great in terms of pose and so forth, but they may not be indicative of what the final piece will look like at all.

Kind of reminds me of the comparison between the Cinemaquette Alien ($1500) and the NECA Alien ($40). Of course the Cinemaquette is better, but damn the NECA is really nice and a tiny tiny fraction of the price.

I'd lean twoards going off the ILM model, or having access to some great reference not easily found to recareate all that detail. With the way lighting is in the movie, I imagine it'd be a tough one to mimic that well looking at reference shots.

Thats amazing...I still prefer battle damaged and weathered look to factory fresh...

I agree. I'm sure the Sideshow one will be nice but its not going to be anywhere near worth $1000. I'm sure a company like NECA could pull off a pretty decent non transforming Prime for like $40.

Back