Sideshow Imperial AT-AT Driver Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They didn't cut a lot of corners on the snowie.:dunno

And the ATAT driver is only ever seen in a grey/steel cockpit and they make him steel grey on grey, the snowies are only seen against the white of ice and snow and they make him white on slightly off-white, TIE pilot is seen in the black of space in a black/grey cockpit and they make him black on black, so I don't think the logic of "contrast" worked that well.:lol
Snowie was $150.00 and a simpler outfit with far less detail than the AT-AT Driver. As for the rest, eh, don't care. Hopefully they price it at $300 (make it noticeably too dark grey, too, just for kicks) and drive some of the whiners out of the hobby for good. :lol

I knew if I held out buying a Marmit that this would be coming!!!!

Snowie was $150.00 and a simpler outfit with far less detail than the AT-AT Driver. As for the rest, eh, don't care. Hopefully they price it at $300 (make it noticeably too dark grey, too, just for kicks) and drive some of the whiners out of the hobby for good. :lol

The SSC ATAT driver helmet will be nearly a 100% re-use of the SSC TIE pilot helmet - and what's left on this simple figure? Almost ALL re-use - from TIE pilot: jumpsuit, tweaked breather/hoses, gloves... from Snowie: shoulder armor. Only new components unique to ATAT driver: boots, webbing (aka ribbon) Let's face it - it's the SSC TIE pilot release re-colored.

Snowie had a simpler helmet but it was a new sculpt made with two different materials and the snowie outfit had a lot more unique (to Snowie) components, both sculpted and sewn, than the simple "a helmet and a jumpsuit" ATAT driver.

And ATAT driver will be $70 (yep, that's nearly the cost of the SSC stormie upon release) more than snowie just 2 1/2 years later - but yeah, eh, I don't care - lets drive out those who can't afford it!:rotfl

Snowie had a simpler helmet but it was a new sculpt made with two different materials and the snowie outfit had a lot more unique (to Snowie) components, both sculpted and sewn, than the simple "helmet and a jumpsuit" ATAT driver.

I'm sure someone at Sideshow argues the same points with the contacts at their new factory. ;)

Tie fighter is $200 so it definitely will not be less than $200... so $250+ for me :(

Here's hoping that by the time this gets released the dollar will be in better shape. 18 months and counting...go

To all of you guys bitching about the price, how many of you would be pissed if sideshow up and cancelled it tomorrow? This was one of the most requested figure in the "name your most wanted figure" thread. A lot of people, myself included, will get this guy no matter what because he is a very well liked character. So in short what I'm saying is take it at the price their selling it for because they honestly dont have to make it at all.

I also want him because my collection is imperial soldiers only and I never got a marmit. :)

Wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled the line tomorrow. So many lines they've abandoned, so many figures unaccounted for.

The SSC ATAT driver helmet will be nearly a 100% re-use of the SSC TIE pilot helmet - and what's left on this simple figure? Almost ALL re-use - from TIE pilot: jumpsuit, tweaked breather/hoses, gloves... from Snowie: shoulder armor. Only new components unique to ATAT driver: boots, webbing (aka ribbon) Let's face it - it's the SSC TIE pilot release re-colored.

Snowie had a simpler helmet but it was a new sculpt made with two different materials and the snowie outfit had a lot more unique (to Snowie) components, both sculpted and sewn, than the simple "a helmet and a jumpsuit" ATAT driver.
Just a minor point that the details on shoulder armor are reversed. Possible they'll just flip it, but looking at the snowie it might not fit quite right. I'm guessing it'll be a new piece, but who knows.

To all of you guys bitching about the price, how many of you would be pissed if sideshow up and cancelled it tomorrow? This was one of the most requested figure in the "name your most wanted figure" thread. A lot of people, myself included, will get this guy no matter what because he is a very well liked character. So in short what I'm saying is take it at the price their selling it for because they honestly dont have to make it at all.

I also want him because my collection is imperial soldiers only and I never got a marmit. :)

I would not care if it got cancelled. It will be overpriced and just a repainted TIE Bomber pilot that will magically cost $30 more.

Wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled the line tomorrow. So many lines they've abandoned, so many figures unaccounted for.

This is funny. You think they would cancel Star Wars.

Really?

Just a minor point that the details on shoulder armor are reversed. Possible they'll just flip it, but looking at the snowie it might not fit quite right. I'm guessing it'll be a new piece, but who knows.

Well, the real ATAT driver costume just had snowie shoulder armor flipped. If it doesn't work at 1/6, someone messed up.

Definitely in...maybe for two, let the custom 1/6 atat cockpit dioramas begin.... So movie or prop accurate
Aka hans blue vrs brown coat

Will Sideshow's AT-AT driver be grey and proud?

Didn't realise there was a colour debate on this, so did a little background reading.

The AT-AT Driver's one and only appearance was in The Empire Strikes Back, although there were glimpses of what would have been its precursor in Revenge of the Sith CG-made several decades later in 2004. So for the production of ESB in 1979, the Costuming team/Art Department simply took two of the black TIE Pilot Helmets used in ANH and then sprayed them grey. Following the addition of a few unique parts, such as the side hangers and tusks a new character was born.

AT-AT Driver Helmets and Costumes

TIE%20and%20ATAT%20wide.jpg

Since the AT-AT Drivers would only be seen in a single scene (with a single mocked-up set doubling as two different Walker cockpit's), they simply took two TIE pilot helmet and armor sets and re-sprayed them grey. After adding a few greeblies like the hangers, tusks and rear-helmet tanks the transformation was complete. Note the "grey" point since there's been a misconception right since people have been looking at this character since it appeared on-screen in 1980 that it was white, when in fact it was light grey. It just looked white under bright studio lights!

atat%20helmcut.jpg

swh_at-at_01.JPG

For The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas needed some new Imperial characters to drive the AT-AT�s and John Mollo, the costume designer opted for an amended "white" version of the ANH-used TIE Fighter helmet. I use the word "white" in quotes since the first thing to say about this helmet (and therefore presumably the armour) is that in reality they weren�t white at all - but were in fact painted glossy grey. When I last met up with John Mollo some while back we discussed the AT-AT helmets but not in great detail hence its something I�d like to pick up with him again.

To be clear we're not talking an off-white, milky-white or white with a hint of grey - these helmets were GREY and photos from the early eighties back this up - this isn't aging paint. As you can see the helmet is in great condition. Turning our attention to the helmet is clear that despite it missing some of its greeblies, its still in really fantastic condition. The grey paint is in a pretty incredible state for paintwork over 30 years old. Unlike the HDPE material most Stormtrooper helmets were made from (which is notorious in its ability to reject paint), the ABS used on these has positively welcomed the new grey spray paint - giving a finish that doesn�t look far different now from what was seen on screen back in 1980.

swh_at-at_02.JPG

swh_at-at_00A1.JPG

swh_at-at_05.JPG

Turning our attention to the helmet detailing - the cog decals are a higher quality than those used on ANH, and this time obviously in red and printed on better quality backing and have a glossy lustre. Interestingly they have the same asymmetry as the ANH Cogs. The tube stripes look like black electrical tape or possibly automotive/car stripes, trimmed to the required shape on the helmet. You can still just make out the remnant pencil marks where the cut lines have been drawn.

Though spray-painted really well in a glossy grey, the original black ABS underneath can still be seen in some places and of course when looking inside its all Black with just a little grey overspray. From what I could tell the black Mohawk had been spray painted grey and then Black which I found quite amusing. I did something similar a few years ago when I sprayed one white without thinking � and then suddenly remember that it needed to be black and I could have left it as it was in the first place!

Original ESB AT-AT Driver Helmets

Very cool, was waiting for this. Light gray helmet, greeblies look pretty ok so far, with the exception of that bump on the ear, which could be decent for a 1:6 TIE Pilot (due to size restrictions in making an accurate disk), but doesn't exist on the AT-AT Driver lid. Will be getting the figure for sure\

atatpilot.jpg

Back